Sign in to follow this  
CTBlankenship

PMDG 18 second initialization and SLEW mode

I've been practicing the Roaring Fork Visual Rnwy 15 at KASE ... did the usual trick of saving the flight through FSX and then reloading ... PMDG is great about reinitializing ... anyway ... after loading the flight I have to wait 18 seconds for the plane to start back up.  By that time I'm down 300 to 400 ft. ... I lucked into a solution.  Most of you probably know this trick ... but I found that if I press "Y" ... or slew mode ... everything freezes ... the countdown ends ... I press Y again to get out of slew mode ... and my plane is up and running ready for another go at a challenging visual approach.

Just thought others might get some use out of this information.

Interesting, I wonder if everything actually initializes correctly. I usually save about 3 or 4 minutes before touchdown for this reason.

The 777 in to KASE?  I'd say go for whatever works for you because a 777 in to KASE is never going to be realistic.  A 737NG would be a heck of a big plane in there.  More on the order or CRJ's and  turboprops.

Eric Szczesniak

I did a MLW 777 into NZHN Hamilton airport, that's about a 6000ft runway. occasionally sees 737s and A320s. Autobrakes MAX however. Got to love the red glow huh!!

The problem is usually not the landing!

You can take the 777 to a full stop on a surpisingly short strip.

It is when you have to depart from there again, that the problems start.

(not an FSX problem haha)

Like these guys in November:

http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/11/boeing-dreamlifter-lands-wrong-airport-can-leave/

I've been practicing the Roaring Fork Visual Rnwy 15 at KASE ... did the usual trick of saving the flight through FSX and then reloading ... PMDG is great about reinitializing ... anyway ... after loading the flight I have to wait 18 seconds for the plane to start back up.  By that time I'm down 300 to 400 ft. ... I lucked into a solution.  Most of you probably know this trick ... but I found that if I press "Y" ... or slew mode ... everything freezes ... the countdown ends ... I press Y again to get out of slew mode ... and my plane is up and running ready for another go at a challenging visual approach.

Just thought others might get some use out of this information.

Nope, I did not know that, good tip!

Thx.

Rob Robson

For what it's worth, there is specific instruction in the intro manual to leave the plane alone until it is fully initialized.

I'm wary of any "trick" that circumvents a normal initialization status indicator.  Perhaps that's just the real world flight side of me, but if I did something that made an initialization status indicator instantly jump to "ready" when it normally takes longer, I would assume something didn't initialize properly.

That's just me, though...

Kyle Rodgers

I agree with Kyle.

I just wrote a long piece about CTD and that one should try to prevent it from happening.

Who knows, this might just be one of those things that cause a CDT after the 10th time or so.

I am going to refrain from using it an will accept the 300ft altitude loss.

Sorry Charles.

Rob Robson

I could have mis-read it, though.  He could be saying that slew is simply being used as a sim pause mode where the aircraft isn't allowed to move while the countdown continues.  If so, then that's actually a pretty smart trick.  How I originally read it, though, was that it was a way to sidestep the counter and set the aircraft up to be immediately ready.

Kyle Rodgers

I could have mis-read it, though.  He could be saying that slew is simply being used as a sim pause mode where the aircraft isn't allowed to move while the countdown continues.  If so, then that's actually a pretty smart trick.  How I originally read it, though, was that it was a way to sidestep the counter and set the aircraft up to be immediately ready.

I read it as using slew as a freeze. Slew mode won't bypass the initialisation countdown. The big problem with using slew for this is if you accidentally touch the controls and do move the position or heading. Slew is quite sensitive so you could be miles out of position before you know it. So why not just use pause (P)? That's what it's there for. I'm fairly sure the PMDG initialisation would still continue.

ki9cAAb.jpg

So why not just use pause (P)? That's what it's there for. I'm fairly sure the PMDG initialisation would still continue.

Actually it does not... I believe that pause suspends processing of gauge code, so that makes initialisation stop as well.

Actually it does not... I believe that pause suspends processing of gauge code, so that makes initialisation stop as well.

Well that shows the difference between being fairly sure and being right! I thought I'd seen it continue, but you're right - it doesn't.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Easiest is just don't save quite so close to landing. As I said before, a few minutes out might be a better idea.

I use this trick when recovering from the ever-present OOM. It beats 20 seconds of in-flight free fall after loading while the aircraft initializes. Just drop into slew, wait for the T7 to do what it's gotta do, then unslew and off you go.

As others noted, pause suspends the update loop on the gauges so nothing progresses. Slew provides a running but motionless sim which is ideal for this scenario.

The problem is usually not the landing!
You can take the 777 to a full stop on a surpisingly short strip.

It is when you have to depart from there again, that the problems start.

Or the missed approach...at least at KASE, that's a pretty darn narrow valley to make that turn in.  Similar issue at LOWI.  The bigger aicraft can make the climb performance and stop on the runway, but they can't make the turn radius down in the valley.

Eric Szczesniak

I will try the slew trick. Gotta be carefull though as one bump of the controls and your suddenly doing Mach 42 and on the other side of the country.