Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

Upcoming V2 Releases

Another week is fine with me. Although I am slightly disappointed about the two things they think are mandatory: I rather had them fixing the OOM related problems. But well, in another post Wes said that after the 2.1 release he will immediately start a new topic about 2.2 so... they won't stop here and the future looks bright!

Speaking about OOM issues I learned the other day that LM has confirmed they will do a 64-bit version of P3D.

I wonder how that will affect all addon developers...?

Richard Åsberg

Speaking about OOM issues I learned the other day that LM has confirmed they will do a 64-bit version of P3D.

Cool!  Where did you see it confirmed? I had a look but didnt see it specifically confirmed. 

I would imagine that devs would be very excited as they wouldnt have to be so conscientious and diligent about tightening up how big the product will consume the VAS. Instead they can go right at it, in more detail and features.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I think the P3D team already have said 64bit is on their roadmap but they decline to say when. However, they've already said that when P3D goes 64bit compatibility with any and every addon with its own code (that's a lot of addons) will be broken and the addon developer will have to make a 64bit version.

Believe me, when 64bit arrives it's going to be an awfully big bump in the road for all concerned and it's going to be far from painless.

Here's the thread discussing this...

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=5094.0

What I meant by my question is that depending on how far away this 64-bit P3D is maybe there's a risk some developers will decide to wait for the 64-bit version rather than develop anything for P3Dv2 if they will still have to re-write their programs more of less from scratch once again for the 64-bit version.

Personally I hope we'll see the 64-bit version like tomorrow and with all major addon developers like PMDG, Aerosoft etc etc immediately starting 64-bit development :D

Richard Åsberg

It's perhaps the biggest caveat with P3D right now, both for the end user and the addon developer. X-Plane addons made the transition in the timeframe of around six to eight months, but then you've got to remember the XP addon developers and products are relatively few in number.

It won't be an overnight transition, it will probably take many months before everyone has their addons working in a 64bit environment and I expect there will be some frustration for many along the way.

Then again I think at this point the retention of backwards compatibility as a major design objective is now more of a hindrance. A clean break and reboot of the engine has been desperately needed for quite a long time now, and the VAS issue is only making that need more urgent.

Most scenery should work with a 64-bit version, all aircraft will have to be recompiled though.

I'm sure Carenado would jump in, they've already recompiled many of their aircraft for the 64-bit version of X-Plane 10.

Most scenery should work with a 64-bit version

Here's a quote from WBard in the thread referenced by WebMaximus:

while you all have mentioned most of the benefits of 64-bit, there are drawbacks, one of the biggest is certain things like BGL (most of the addon scenery you likely use use BGL) won't be 64-bit compatible.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I'm pretty sure that they said elsewhere that most scenery would be compatible with 64-bit.

The other quote is a couple of months newer.

Got anything in your hangar that's no longer supported by the developer?  Kiss it goodbye if it needs to be updated.  Got anything that's old enough that the developer doesn't want to upgrade it?  Same thing.

"32 bits ought to be enough for anyone."  --  Unnamed Microsoft/Aces manager  <sigh>

Maybe LM will do parallel versions, one 32 bit and another 64 bit. 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Maybe LM will do parallel versions, one 32 bit and another 64 bit. 

I think it's going to be good enough if Prepar3D 2.x becomes a great platform for our 32-bit add-ons and Prepar3D 3.x is 64-bit while focusing on advancements that need more memory.

The digital audio workstation I use comes in either 32bit or 64bit versions, and has done for many years, yet in many cases you are still better off using the 32bit version as many 3rd party plug-ins (the equivalent of FS add-ons) are still native 32bit. It seems in a lot of cases its simply too much hassle to convert to the 64bit platform, though some do bridge successfully, which muddies things a bit. The situation is changing, but very-very slowly... I personally use 32bit for recording, where I use many plug-ins and 64bit for mastering, with just a few that work properly in that environment...

I can imagine a 64bit version of P3D being in a similar situation, and therefore pretty barren if it needs much work to make scenery or other add-ons work... Its a chicken and egg situation... I would not buy a separate 64bit version unless the prospect of add-ons was certain, but you need the platform sales to make the 3rd parties interested.

X-Plane 10 currently has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. This way users have choices, depending on the addon compatibility s that you are using.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

X-Plane 10 currently has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. This way users have choices, depending on the addon compatibility s that you are using.

What is the adoption rate of add-ons to the 64bit version like by comparison?... I know little about XP-10 and how it works; does the structure make conversion to 64bit easier than P3D I wonder?

The only required changes to any aircraft project would lie within the compiled C "gauges" used, and that mostly would simply involve recompiling as a 64bit DLL instead of a 32bit DLL.

The embedded XML script in the model, as well as the XML "gauges" that might have been used are 32bit/64bit agnostic.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator