Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

Upcoming V2 Releases

What is the problem with BGL files?... why can't they be converted to 64bit? Can those BGL files be converted to another compatible file without too much effort?

Sorry for all the questions [all this stuff is beyond me] and I'm just trying the gauge the scale of going 64bit.

I may well be incorrect, but I believe the underlying "problem" with BGL files lies more in the code required to decode the files, more than with the format of the files themselves.

Keep in mind that the BGL file format has essentially not been changed since the time that Bruce Artwick developed them.

BGL is the file format used by Microsoft Flight Simulator to store scenery. It uses the .bgl file extension. BGL stands for BAO Graphical Language, where BAO stands for Bruce Artwick Organisation who was the original creator of the Flight Simulator series.

Source: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=BGL

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I see and hear people complaining they have waited since Nov 2013 for the patch.  Well guess what?!  

As far as I'm concerned WE the FlightSim community have been waiting since early 2007 for this patch.

A patch Microsoft had no interest in doing.  Take your time LM....get it right....I've waited 7 years I can

wait a few days/weeks/months more.

Within 3-4 months of it's release on Oct 17th 2006 it was apparent MS would not be fixing FSX.

SP1 and SP2 really didn't help much. FSX was still a single core app and the equipment of the day that could be

clocked over 4ghz was expensive and rare.

I see P3D as the future of Simming. LM has already told us a 64bit version will be written.  

It may be v3.0 or even v4.0 but there will be one.

Take your time LM.....get it right....I've been patient for 7 years....a little bit more won't hurt.

CK

Exactly.  A two-month turnaround on a patch that addresses almost every issue raised during the launch is something to be thrilled by...  not appalled by.

I may well be incorrect, but I believe the underlying "problem" with BGL files lies more in the code required to decode the files, more than with the format of the files themselves.

Keep in mind that the BGL file format has essentially not been changed since the time that Bruce Artwick developed them.

Source: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=BGL

Okay, thanks Bill. At least aircraft seem to be a easier proposition to convert.

Just a "me thought" and questions.

Why can't the .bgl files be converted / or / made into .jpg files.  I'm sure they would be smaller in file side and would probably load faster?

Like to know an answer.

Thanks and have a blessed one.

Tom

Converting BGL files for add-on airports to 64-bit may not be a severe problem There already exists a tool called BGL2XML (which I have used) that converts 32-bit airport BGL files to XML files, which are neither 32-bit nor 64-bit ("agnostic"). Currently, the Airport Design Editor is capable of importing such an XML file in order to convert the airport back to a 32-bit BGL file. I am hopeful that a 64-bit version of ADE will be created.

Frans Kes

Just a "me thought" and questions.

Why can't the .bgl files be converted / or / made into .jpg files.  I'm sure they would be smaller in file side and would probably load faster?

Like to know an answer.

Thanks and have a blessed one.

Tom

BGL files are scenery files, not picture files. JPEG is a picture format.