Sign in to follow this  
toucanair

1900D from a real world Perspective

Hi

I thought it was pink for the GPS function, white Loc and green for Nav/vor..

I'm willing to change the color as a custom mod.. but first I need a definitive answer on this..

I even wonder if different software versions in the Collins gauges have different features..

Bert

Wow!! Thank you for your initial review. It's exciting to hear from someone that has flown the real B1900.

I noticed also, that it seems to be hard to slow down, but I figured it was just me, since it was my first flight.

Knowing you have so much time in the real aircraft and still enjoying this beautiful simulation, is going to make me enjoy it all the more.

I'll be really looking forward to your full review, after you get a chance to spend more time with Carenado's version.

I certainly hope they listen to your suggestions, but I know that they will. They have a great history of listening to the desires of their customers and doing their best to implement them.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi, I have about a thousand hours in this beast also. It shouldn't be hard to slow down at all. We usually fly it at about 248kts 4 miles out before we start configuring. The RW technique is to bring the power levers to flight idle and props 1700 RPM. That will slow you down pretty quick. At 188kts flaps 17, at 180kts gear down and at 156 flaps 35. It's a beauty to fly in the RW. I'm looking forward to purchasing this one. As mentioned above it is a true work horse. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Reik Namreg

Hi, I have about a thousand hours in this beast also.. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

OK - since you offered:

What is the color of the CDI needle in the Collins EHSI (in HSI mode):

- when driven by the NAV radio  (VOR, ILS)

- when driven by the GPS

Green at all times?  ..or does it change, depending on the nav source?

Bert

LGA Loved us in the beech. 250 until about 6 miles out!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Normally am thinking that Carenado aircraft fly like default but look pretty, hence pick them up only in sales if that. Your mini review has perked my interest.

OK - since you offered:

What is the color of the CDI needle in the Collins EHSI (in HSI mode):

- when driven by the NAV radio (VOR, ILS)

- when driven by the GPS

Green at all times? ..or does it change, depending on the nav source?

Yes sir, I'll be happy to answer your question. It's Green when coupled with the VOR/ILS and White when coupled with the GPS. It depends on what nav source you have it coupled to.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions ask away.

Reik Namreg

Yes sir, I'll be happy to answer your question. It's Green when coupled with the VOR/ILS and White when coupled with the GPS. It depends on what nav source you have it coupled to.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions ask away.

Great, thanks!

I'll update my EHSI mods to change the CDI color from green to white when driven by the GPS.

Bert

Thanks toucan air,

I teach these things and I did find a few problems on my first round the block.

IAS and VS don't work. OK Carenado states this but in real life they do work. Again I teach the Collins autoflight system. When you push IAS it will take wantever airspeed you are currently at and keeps it. I can then use the up/down to change the speed by 1 knot.

VS should also work, again capture what I am at then 200' change per click with the up down.

Climb should be per AFM climb schedule, not 1500 fpm climb

Descend should be a 1500 fpm descent, adjuctable with the up/down

AP should engage YD

YD can be disconnected independently of AP.

If you disconnect YD with AP on AP disconnects.

Once you load  Vprofile in the UNS1 it seems to lock out manual adjustments of VS, not how the airplane works.

TGT or ITT temps seem off for high power selection. 3500 ft/lbs of power and only 600 ITT?!?

UNS1 needs some work. Lots of "work arounds" and this is not how the system works in real life.Only slightly better then a "Simple panel" FMS. Sort of acts like it was a afterthought and only partly compleated.

Again just a short flight and yes I am aware some B1900s are a little different based on customer. There is some configurations in the Collins FD/AP.

Thanks again and I hope Carenado looks at some of these squawks when they patch it.

Hi Ken,  I'm sending you a PM..

• Like 1

Bert

Thanks toucan air,

IAS and VS don't work. OK Carenado states this but in real life they do work. Again I teach the Collins autoflight system. When you push IAS it will take wantever airspeed you are currently at and keeps it. I can then use the up/down to change the speed by 1 knot.

VS should also work, again capture what I am at then 200' change per click with the up down.

Climb should be per AFM climb schedule, not 1500 fpm climb

Descend should be a 1500 fpm descent, adjuctable with the up/down

AP should engage YD

YD can be disconnected independently of AP.

If you disconnect YD with AP on AP disconnects.

Once you load  Vprofile in the UNS1 it seems to lock out manual adjustments of VS, not how the airplane works.

TGT or ITT temps seem off for high power selection. 3500 ft/lbs of power and only 600 ITT?!?

UNS1 needs some work. Lots of "work arounds" and this is not how the system works in real life.Only slightly better then a "Simple panel" FMS. Sort of acts like it was a afterthought and only partly compleated.

Again just a short flight and yes I am aware some B1900s are a little different based on customer. There is some configurations in the Collins FD/AP.

Thanks again and I hope Carenado looks at some of these squawks when they patch it.

I'm currently right seat in the C model but regarding your AP/YD problem I think it depends on the set up. My company just bought a C from Africa and the YD cannot disengage from the AP if the AP is engage. Also if you disconnect the AP it will not disconnect the YD unless you use the control wheel disconnect switch. (Found it out the hard way, made a real interesting landing)

The ITT does seems off, in the C, which has the PT6A-65B, we cruise at about 700 on the ITT

I'm currently right seat in the C model but regarding your AP/YD problem I think it depends on the set up. My company just bought a C from Africa and the YD cannot disengage from the AP if the AP is engage. Also if you disconnect the AP it will not disconnect the YD unless you use the control wheel disconnect switch. (Found it out the hard way, made a real interesting landing)

The ITT does seems off, in the C, which has the PT6A-65B, we cruise at about 700 on the ITT

Yep, that is what I meant, the YD is the yaw channel for the AP, see my other post with the info from the AFM. Thus if you turn on the AP it always engages the YD. If you disconnect the AP with the AP button the YD stay engaged, if you use the RED AP/YD DISC button on the yoke, both disconnect. Standard Collins AP 65 logic. If yours operates different that would be interesting. I would ask if you still had a Collins AP in the airplane and what version you had.

Yep, that is what I meant, the YD is the yaw channel for the AP, see my other post with the info from the AFM. Thus if you turn on the AP it always engages the YD. If you disconnect the AP with the AP button the YD stay engaged, if you use the RED AP/YD DISC button on the yoke, both disconnect. Standard Collins AP 65 logic. If yours operates different that would be interesting. I would ask if you still had a Collins AP in the airplane and what version you had.

Ohhhh! On the planes we have AP, they're all Sperry SPZ-2000. That one plane is the only one using the Collins system

Not sure any of you are into tinkering with FSX planes, but based on your comments, I have made some mods to the B1900:

- EHSI displays white in GPS mode, green in VLOC mode

- Autopilot annunciator shows VS and GS

- YAW engages when AP engages, and turns off when AP is disengaged  (using any method - a compromise..)

- Also added clickspots to the EHSI to allow mousewheel adjustment to HDG and CRS (for convenience)

- Fixed BARO setting on pilot's altimeter, so you can correctly select 30.00 etc

If any of this floats your boat, let me know via PM (provide your email address) and I'll

see if I can send you whatever mods you might be interested in..

post-100706-0-25342100-1391279171.jpg

post-100706-0-16417100-1391279192.jpg

Bert

- EHSI displays white in GPS mode, green in VLOC mode

Thanks Bert. Shouldnt it be Magenta when ib GPS/LNAV mode?

Thanks Bert. Shouldnt it be Magenta when ib GPS/LNAV mode?

I've been told: white

Here a variation which I've seen in pictures..  I quite like it..

Not sure if it is more correct, or simply a different Collins software release level..

post-100706-0-55130300-1391281169.jpg

Bert