Sign in to follow this  
777simmer

self caused FSX CTD and Graphics problems

Quite a few times I have said that I am so overly carefull with my FSX install.

Well two days ago I did things I usually never do, and BOOM CTD!

What is worse, after this I kept having graphical glitches in the form of Flashes while in VC.

I have also stated befofe that a CTD is really not good because it can cause software corruption.

Well, here is the proof of that!

I normally close FSX completely after a flight before I start a new one.

Time consuming because for me this means shutting down OPUS FSX and TRACKIR as well and rebooting it all again in the correct sequence :-(

Good thing I usually only fly one flight per FSX day :-)

Anyway, two days ago I tested some things and did not feel like rebooting everything between the 10 flights or so that I started and stopped and started and stopped.

So I started a PMDG flight and tested.

Stopped the flight.

Booted a C172 flight then stopped it.

Started a new PMDG flt and tested.

Stopped the flight.

Started a c172 flight again.

Changed aircraft to PMDG.

used the FSX reset flight function...etc etc etc.

and never rebooted FSX in between.

All things I normally never do and after like the 10th flight I CTDed.

Like said, after that...flashes.

It seemed only the outside world visible through the windows (both land and sky) was effected. But not the cockpit textures themselves.

Some quick trouble shooting did not help, the flashes stayed in every flight thereafter.

Good thing I still had a backup of my FSX and Win7 install from a month ago.

I inserted the Win7 DVD, booted from DVD, choose repair and then repair from image.

20min later everything was as before (-some things I had installed/changed during the last few weeks).

I allways keep a log also of what I install or change in settings or in the .cfg file etc etc so it was quite easy to get things back to how I wanted it.

No more flashes, and everythings is fine again.

I could have trouble shooted more and who knows, maybe I could have fixed my problem.

Or maybe it would only SEEM I fixed my problem and 6 months later (and after having overwritten my current image backup several times with a corrupted version!) I could be having all sorts of problems with no way or idea how to fix them. And it could happen right after I install SP1 resulting in me blaming PMDG for my (self inflicted) problem.

(I am not saying your problems are your own fault !)

This long post is basically just a feedback of my experiences and to urge everyone to:

-install FSX (and Win7 for that matter) by following one of the guides out there.

- immediately after you have a good and stable install make a backup image.

- update the backup image only after new addon have prooven not to cause problems.

- Try to avoid CDTs (easier said than done) but if you do ever get one, dont hesistate to go back to your last image backup!

Rob Robson

I had a similar thing happen a couple days ago. I was changing and testing graphic settings in the Captain Sim 707 and then FSX locked up and closed itself with a fatal error. Last night I was going to do a quick flight in the 707 and the VC textures were flashing obnoxiously but only in the VC and only in the 707. I just shut the computer down and went to bed. I'm hoping a rebuild of the fsx.cfg file will correct this. :Praying:

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I hope so too.

Since I had a backup, I did not try building a new .cfg file. but it would be one of the first things I would try.

Rob Robson

Letting the fsx.cfg rebuild itself cured the problem. :yahoo:

I also think it is important with this plane that you start fsx , load the default cessna, and then load the CS 707.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Great :-)

I used to allways do that as well.

But since PMDG has adviced against first starting with a default plane to then switching to a PMDG type, I assume the same is true for other aircraft?

Rob Robson

I don't have any FSX PMDG aircraft yet. Waiting for the P3D pricing. PMDG is the only complex aircraft I have heard of that recommends against starting with a default aircraft first.

Ted

I don't have any FSX PMDG aircraft yet. Waiting for the P3D pricing. PMDG is the only complex aircraft I have heard of that recommends against starting with a default aircraft first.

Ted

If you're waiting for the 777X to be offered in P3D you're gonnna have a long wait.