Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

X-Plane Loading TImes

I use two ssd in raid0 only for X-Plane. The time for loading in big citys like NY, Seattle no more than 1 min ever

Now I have HD scenery mesh v2. Before HD mesh V2 and the time to load was between 35~45 seconds.

Unless I run extreme textures it doesn't take any longer than a minute for me in hd mesh areas with payware planes. Wonder what's causing the huge differences...?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

SSD or raid will speed up the process big time....

My windows PC has a RAID 0 config and my MacBook Pro has a speed flash HD.....About a minute to load......

Unless I run extreme textures it doesn't take any longer than a minute for me in hd mesh areas with payware planes. Wonder what's causing the huge differences...?

That's what I figured out, once I backed off extreme it's back to a respectable time. I have a SSD, but its mainly for FSX to stop the crazy texture popping.

That's what I figured out, once I backed off extreme it's back to a respectable time. I have a SSD, but its mainly for FSX to stop the crazy texture popping.

TBH I can't see much difference between extreme and very high, even when I get right up close and personal with the Carenado C90's high-res cockpit textures.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

TBH I can't see much difference between extreme and very high, even when I get right up close and personal with the Carenado C90's high-res cockpit textures.

I was flying in DCS today and looking down, the regular textures seemed as sharp or sharper than "Extreme" in X-plane. It got me wondering why XPX seems to do it in such an all or nothing way instead of allocating by distance.....

Certainly if "Extreme" textures go to the horizon that's gotta be a memory hog and probably a loading-time hog as well?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Think it depends on the plane. The J32's cockpit textures are definitely not as sharp as the Carenado C90 which for me is the best cockpit in any sim I've seen so far.

Still very interested in DCS. I downloaded the demo but wasn't very impressed, particularly with the mesh. Mind you I wasn't that impressed with the XP demo when I first tried it. The Nevada scenery does look very good though.

If I load a flight to an area, where I dont have much addon scenery installed, It takes about 2 -3 mins to load.  Fastr, If im loading a after just having exited XP.  But if Im loading to an area, like NY, (where I have a ton of stuff), it takes 7 - 8 mins to load. MY Xp directory is now over 530GB and growing.  I really need to start cleaning out stuff and stop hording scenery I dont use anymore, but its running well and Im afraid to mess with it.

Rob

Think it depends on the plane. The J32's cockpit textures are definitely not as sharp as the Carenado C90 which for me is the best cockpit in any sim I've seen so far.

Still very interested in DCS. I downloaded the demo but wasn't very impressed, particularly with the mesh. Mind you I wasn't that impressed with the XP demo when I first tried it. The Nevada scenery does look very good though.

Actually I think DCS and XPX mesh have a lot in common, tending to be a bit slab-side and "polygonish" (I made up that word) to an extent that even (In XPX's case) the HD mesh can sometimes not overcome it. (DCS has the upcoming EDGE engine to help combat it on their side)

Move past that and the two sims diverge quickly. I would say XPX is more open and varied, but that DCS was overall more polished and complete within its area of focus, albeit more closed.

Grab it on a Steam sale! I find having multiple sims helps me in evaluating strengths and weaknesses that might not be readily apparent if you only have one sim as a reference.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Good idea. Will keep an eye on the Steam sales.

I tried the experiment of moving all the HD mesh out of the sim, but load times weren't significantly shortened, so I don't think that's the issue, at least not for me. The only other likely culprit is scenery.

Devons rig

I am so very glad I got an SSD for my X-Plane computer. Load times for me are usually around half a minute, even with HD mesh and custom scenery.

Some say SSDs make very little difference in performance loading scenery, from responses here it seems clear they're only counting "in flight" time loading adjacent scenery and ignoring the startup time. Which might be fine if they're doing long haul flights--5 minutes out of a 5 hour flight won't even get you from gate to runway. Those who are a little more ADHD and like jumping around the world and fly relatively short flights, or those playing with plugins that can cause XP to crash, those minutes add up. It seems I've easily saved several hours in the last year alone--or put another way, since people are doing other things while waiting for it to load, I've had several extra flying hours by going SSD instead of HDD.