Sign in to follow this  
Erebus

777 Go around uncontrolled climb

Hey, probably a silly question, but you guys in here know about everything, so I'll ask. 

I had to do a Go around over KJFK in my new 777 (first trip over the pond). I've never had to do Go arounds before, and I understood nothing. I just pressed TO/GA, and the plane proceeded. I just waited it out, curious as to what would happen, but the plane just kept on climbing and climbing against FL200, the annunciators just showing TO/GA TO/GA. The boeing procedures wasn't much help, and I ended up ending the flight. Anyone know a good detailed tutorial for TO/GA in either the 777 or the NGX, preferably text and not preferably video? And especially how you return to the airport. Would've been a dull day for my passengers.  

In advance, thanks

Einar Tryti 

Well you're supposed to set the Go Around Altitude in your MCP when established on the ILS and when you hit the TO/GA switch and arm A/P it will stop at that altitude.

Einar,

I was in the same situation as you were in on Tuesday, when I did the flight in the PMDG 777 from CYVR to KJFK in dedication to those stranded at JFK from the snowstorm. 

When I did the go around, I referred to the Jeppesen approach plates, which tells me that should I miss an approach at ILS Runway 13L (the runway I took), "climb to 600 then climbing left turn to 4000 direct to DPK VOR/DME and hold."

Using this information, I set the missed approach altitude and heading in the autopilot while I was intercepting the LOC just in case a missed approach would happen. 

To arrive back at the airport, I just looked at charts and flew the plane back to intercept the ILS LOC and glideslope. Normally, I would have to inform ATC so they can either vector me to another approach or vector me back to the same runway, but it wasn't on VATSIM, so I just flew back to JFK myself. At 1500 ft, disconnected AP, runway in sight, manual landing on RWY 13L.  

Hope that helps.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

Hey, guys, thanks for answering! 

Both answers were helpful. 

@Hank David: How did you manouver back to intercept? Did you use autopilot and entered the waypoints from the charts to make a route in the RTE seciton in the FMC? Or did you fly manually?

At this point, I'm not a better pilot than that I am very able to fly a predefined route without problems using the automated systems, but when things don't go as planned, I'm not sure wether, or how to, use the automated systems to cope with the situation, or wether, or how to, fly manually for the rest of the flight, or just parts of it, using some or none of the autopilot systems. 

Is this covered in the PMDG/Boeing documentation? In that case, where among those 4-6000 pages? 

Again, thanks! 

Einar Tryti 

Normally i would just hit the FMC departure/arrival page and pick up the ILS for the runway again. It takes 3 seconds

Then ATC would vector to IAF again

Have a look in the FCTM 245/1210 (Normal procedure)

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

@Hank David: How did you manouver back to intercept? Did you use autopilot and entered the waypoints from the charts to make a route in the RTE seciton in the FMC? Or did you fly manually?

When doing that missed approach, I set the lateral navigation to my holding point. It is your 2nd route after the RWY 13L waypoint, which looks similar to "(600)" , "vectors", "DPK". I dial in altitude and use V/S to climb to 6000 and if I'm flying online, I contact ATC immediately and receive further instructions (eg. different runway). If you're flying offline, like what Michael has written, pick out the runway from the FMC.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design