Sign in to follow this  
toucanair

Second Air Test comparisons and further observations

Took her up for another test run, recently and this is just a few more observations.

Remember It was a while ago since I flew the real thing, but its all straight out of the flight manual

and other gouge, Plus now I seem to have a little added pressure, real, or imagined, as  now there are  a few real world "D" drivers with piqued interests it seems.

So don't read into it all too much.

But if the few snags of note could be looked at and rectified perhaps, Then this could end up, being up there close to Majestics work.

Which I think really set the benchmark for turboprops in the FSX/P3D world.

Air Test Two,

07:30 local time

Flight; Darwin(YPDN)Australia to BROOME(YBRM)Australia {my old stomping ground}

DAY/IFR

Weather Real world conditions (OPUS weather)

Departure Ambient conditions
YPDN
wind 300/9kts
Temp 28C/dewpoint 25C
Scattered clouds
QNH 1008

General Condition VMC

Typical for Australia's hot northern tropical summer wet season with the exceptions of VMC as it is usually Monsoonal with some cracking great thunderstorms around.

Standard LOFT (Line oriented Flight)

No airwork conducted.

No emergency procedures carried out.

All comments in brackets, are just note worthy observations, thoughts or perhaps, a potential snag

list, between the Carenado version, and it's realworld counterpart.

Square brackets are indicators of annuncator titles on the aircraft, real or simulated.

Certification of the Beech 1900 Series

(It is a transport category Aircraft)

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification awarded on November 22, 1983 under Special Federal Aviation Regulation (SFAR) 41C airworthiness standards.[3] Like the 1900, the 1900C was certified under SFAR 41C, Wich it easily met and exceeded, but the later 1900D version was in-fact certified to FAR Part 23 "Commuter Category" standards.

(This first one may sting a little depending on how serious you take your simming.)

Standby Attitude indicator.

(Carenado has not given her one.)

Therefore, a pretty important omission.

and not complying with the FAA's regulation FAR 23.1311

See above the 1900D is a SFAR41 certified aircraft

References below.

8.2.1 Acceptable Methods for Compliance with FAR 23.1311(b). There are three
acceptable methods for meeting the attitude requirements which is considered information essential
for continued safe flight and landing. Compliance can be accomplished by using dedicated standby
instruments, dual PFDs, or reversionary displays that present primary flight information. Electronic
display systems without dedicated standby instruments should have at least two independent
displays able to provide PFI to the pilot. These displays should be powered such that any single
failure of the power generation and distribution systems cannot remove the display of PFI from both
displays. Section 23.1311(b) in Amendment 23-62 states: “The electronic display indicators,
including their systems and installations, and considering other airplane systems, must be designed
so that one display of information essential for continued safe flight and landing will be available
within one second to the crew by a single pilot action or by automatic means for continued safe
operation, after any single failure or probable combination of failures.”

and

8.3 Standby Instruments. The purpose of standby instruments or another independent PFD
is to ensure that PFI is available to the pilot during all phases of flight and during system failures.
Individual indicators should be a minimum of 2 inches in diameter or, if combined, a minimum
diameter of 3 inches (or equivalent) displayed.

And Australia's CASA CAR version of the same Regs.

Standby attitude indicator.

11. -(1)A person shall not operate an aircraft with a maximum
certificated take-off mass of over 5,700 kg. or a helicopter of performance
Class 1 and 2 operated under IFR unless it is equipped with a single standby
attitude indicator (artificial horizon) that-
(a) operates independently of any other attitude indicating system;
(b) is powered continuously during normal operation;
© after a total failure of the normal electrical generating system, is
automatically powered for a minimum of thirty minutes from a
source independent of the normal electrical generating system;
and
(d) is appropriately illuminated during all phases of operation.

Flight Mode Control Annunciation.

{auto pilot mode selections}

Selecting [CLIMB] Does work and schedules the climb pitch and speed as per climb pitch schedule nicely

(It just should annunciate CLM on the EADI. and Climb in green on the selector panel. It doesn't. it
just annunciates +1500 in green on the Flight Mode Control Annunciation panel and is then adjustable to lesser or greater values with VS rocker switch, which is wrong of course, as that is a  function of the Vertical Speed button if VS is selected. The VS button however, funnily enough is not selectable i.e it doesn't work. actuating the VS rocker switch on the centre pedestal and vs up or down all you like albeit in the wrong mode. which has got carenado devs, and now me, totally confused lol.

Course Select

Button located on the center pedestal for nav source..

When using the GPS for primary tracking via EHSI and,or the Autopilot in Nav mode

(Pushing the selector as required to go through the various nav modes VOR1, VOR2 etc. it should also have GPS for primary nav source as a selection also, it doesn't and it is not the correct logic. the

interim fix which I hope gets rectified, is to select the nav source up on the the default gps panel's

vloc button from gps to VOR and so on.)

Vertical Speed indicator

function normally,

(does have a bug)

There is some sort of artifact coding/corruption bug, where the upper half of the display has old data

from the diplayed over it. It flickers on and off periodically, In my case it made it look like it had

to arrows, one pointing vertically showing a climb, and the other which was the actual correct

indication, It has been noted by another end user, and I have seen it on Carenado's other King Airs,

Whether its a corrupt gauge or a Video card issue I cannot say. I am using an NVIDIA GTX 680.will

report further.

Taxi light switch

BUG

Should light up on annunciator when switch left in the on position after take off and after landing

gear is up and retracted

(It does show in test mode only though in a white colour on the annuciator panel.Manual says green but

its white in Sim and may have been modelled on a later series.)

Over speed warning

continous aural warning should sound +5kts above barber pole

(It Doesn't, checked aircraft sound file and root sound file, there is no sound wav for it.)

Stall test switch.

(it's not a stall on switch)

Should be spring loaded.

(it's not)

Should make a continueous aural tone on test.

(It doesnt't. stall.wav file is there in carenado file though)

Cabin Diff High.

warning on master warning annunciator

-verfied on pressure differential gauge.

-in flight conditions en-climb and cruise FL240

[Actions: wound cabin pressure scheduler to FL300

bring cabin pressure to a cabin altitude of FL100

extinguishing the warning.]

(Cabin pressure schedule dial seems possibly miss-calibrated, will report further.)

Altitude Alerter.

functioned well this time

(Could not replicate altitude selector issue again... will report further)

Pilot Air Decal marking.

Located on Pilot side lower main sub panel

(misspelled as "PITOT AIR")

Fasten seat belt switch

No switch. not functional

(fsb sound .wav located in Carenado B1900 sound file though)

GEN TIES switch

The Bus tie system is controlled in the cockpit by 2 switches located on the pilots lower left

subpanel. To Access a piece of equipment on the left or right generator bus with just the master

battery on a "GEN TIES" switch can manually close the generator bus ties so power can reach the

genarator buses. During a dual generator failure,this switch can be used to access the flap motor

(powered by the Left Gen Bus). The switch should also be used to open the bus ties flaps are in their

desired position so battery power is not depleted as quickly . With the bus ties closed, a fully

charged battery only lasts 8 to 10 minutes compared to 30 to 35 minutes when the bus ties are open. To alert you when the generator bus ties have been manually closed,quickly depleting battery power, a green {MAN TIES CLOSE} annnunciator will Illuminate.

(should make ding sound and an audible but very brief crackle through comm radios when manually closing the ties, in sim it doesn't though.)

(In Sim GEN TIE Annuciator lights work in correct sense)

(In sim With Ties open, flaps operate this is incorrect, they should not.)

(In sim Avionics operate with ties open, Also incorrect,should only operate with GEN TIES in the closed position)

(electrical architecture of the caranado version may well be close to default, may be a bug, cannot

really say at this stage. Would be nice to see it operating in the correct sense.) 

The other switch used to control the bus tie system is;

BUS SENSE switch

This switch is normally used the Run up checks before 1st flight of the day.
When the switch is place to the test position,current is sent to all 3 of the HED's (Hall Effect

Devices), opening all of the bus ties. The [L and R GEN TIE OPEN] and [bATT TIE OPEN] annunciators

illuminate indicating that all 3 bus ties are open. The switch also has a reset position. This function
allows you to reset the HED's in the event a bus tie opened.

Hot Battery Bus

If the following items are left on, even with Master Battery switch in the "OFF" position Battery power

can be depleted.

* L and R engine fire extinguisher

* L and R firewall fuel shutoff valve

* door entry and aisle lights (not Simulated)

* cockpit emergency lights. (not properly simulated)

* forward baggage door annunciator [FWD CABIN DOOR] ( N/A this was in the older  Beech 1900C model in

the D that space became an avionics bay)

* Control Wheel (Yoke) Clock

* right pitot heat (burnt my hand once because of this function)

* ground comm power

Auto Feather General

In the "D"model the autofeather system is armed when the switch is in the arm position, N1 is above 90%

and engine torque is above 750 foot pounds torque. When the system is armed in addition to the [L an R

AUTOFEATHER] annuncuaitors, there is a yellw [AFX Disable] that will extinguish and green (I remember

them being amber) [AFX] annunciators located next to each torque gauge that will illuminate.

(no [AFX] lights near torque gauges in the sim version)

When system NOT armed  nad torque falls below 350 foot pounds on one engine AND landing gear extended

[AUTOFEATHER OFF] annuciator will illuminate on annunciator panel.

(this works correctly)

Auto Feather test

To test the System,

both power levers should be at 1000 foot pounds of torque and autofeather placed in "TEST" with the

system in test mode, the power levers do not need to be advanced above 88-91% N1.

(Note...in sim I had to bring torque up well above 3200Ft/Lbs to get above 91% N1 before the system

would arm, this is definately not correct!!)

Bring One of the power levers back to idle, and as the the reduced powered engine torque drops below

525 foot pounds, the opposite powered up engine will disarm  itself.
(in Sim this in the wrong sense as the wrong autofeather light disarms.)

When the retarded lever drops below 350 foot pounds, (250 in the old "C" model)  the propeller will

begin to feather.

(This next bit goes a bit deeper into what is actually happening)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the propeller feathers and the engine is still operating at idle speed,  engine torque increases

due to increased prop blade angle.There is 320 to 350 foot pound limit, and the popeller begins to come

out of feather. As it comes out of feather, the prop blade angle reduces causing reduced engine torque.

when the engine torque again drops below 250 foot pounds, the autofeather system will again feather the

prop. This cycle continues as long as the spring loaded autofeather switch is held in the "TEST

position.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now this important

During test, both autofeather lights should be illuminated (lit), as the retarded lever passes below

525Ft/lbs the autofeather light on the POWERED UP Lever should dissapear. (in sim it's the wrong way

around). and then when retarding the reduced power lever further below 350Ft/Lbs "Both" autofeather

lights should dissappear.

Now at just below 350FT/Lbs and as the prop drops in and out off feather. The green autofeather

annunciator should now flash on and off on the reduced (retarded) power lever side.

(In sim it does not flash at all, and perhaps should be addressed).

and in reality you should hear the propeller cycle in and out of feather during this process.

(probably a big ask in FSX, but I,m sure some FSX guru out there could write an XML tweak for a descent prop feathering cycle sound wav file)

Prop Governer test

This is an important pre flight check

(Caranado have mostly simulated it well and I was surprised)

From a pilots point of view a propeller tachometer stabilised at 1802 RPM would indicate a failure of the overspeed governer.
For pre-takeoff check purposes, the set point of the overspeed governer is rescheduled using the prop governer test switch on the pilots left sub panel. During testing, propeller speed should not exceed approximately 1535-1595 RPM

To do this place the prop levers into take off (high) range, engage prop test switch, then advance the

torque (power levers) until the props are governing and the RPM should not be any higher than the above figures.

(And in sim this actually functioned correctly, I was gobsmacked. Well done CARENADO)

low pitch test had no functionality though.
It tests the low pitch stops, wich is important as tests the props to make sure you can select negative

blade angles via  beta valves that activate on landing when the main wheels contact the ground via a

squat switch on the left main landing gear strut

(switch not simulated)

Auto Ignition (note worthy only)

The 1900 is the only version of the king Air where auto ignition does not need to be turned on for

landing. The reason for this is the PT6-67D (and -65A on the C model) engine has four stages of axial compression and ensures there will be enough airflow at low power settings so the engine will not flame out when the power is at idle.
The "D" model auto ignition operates when torque falls below 700 foot pounds.

(and in real life  you can here that continuous "ting ting ting ting" sound coming through your

headsets too when they are operating , especially when you are throttling back on landing)

Avidyne Screen

Radar on the avidyne projects radar weather returns for 360 degrees around the aircraft. the radar is

in the nose of the aircraft and points forward so this is not possible also when using the dim function

the avidyne screen dims but the radar returns do not.

Altimeter

Functions well

(Is it possible to have a dual option in the kohlsman window to read barometric pressure in HPA
as I know a lot of users outside of the USA use the metric QNH scale.)

Environmental System

Cabin fan noise

(In real life that fan is pretty loud too, particularly when the engines are not running and hooked up

to ground power. however as with the sound blending limitaions of fsx, is there a way to reduce the fan .wav sound by say, around 30% as even with egines running it still comes across as way too loud and it was never that loud and becomes a distraction.

Environmental Test. (Nice to Have, but hey, they modelled the prop governer tes and Gen Ties)

The overtemperature circuits can be fuctionally tested in the "T" test position of the mode control

rotary switch on the Co pilots sub panel.

This test simulates an overtemperature condition, causing the overtemperature sensing circuits to shutdown the environmental system. The [L and R ENVIR FAIL] and the [L an R ENVIR OFF] annunciators will be illuminated immediately after "T" test is selected if the system is operating correctly. The "Mode Control" Switch should again be returned to "AUTO" and the "Bleed Air Valve" switches to "ENVIR OFF" then "OPEN".

(Again, nice to have. Not functional in Sim)

Yaw Damper

When Autopilot is disconnected, yaw damper should Disconnect as well.

(In sim it does not.this is a bug. In reality this could be dangerous as you lose situational awareness looking down pedestal on short final at low altitude to turn it off)

Over torque and over temping the engines.

In real life, one can easily over torque or over temp a turbine engine. yep you can really cook 'em

(In Carenado's 1900D, I have modified the Aircraft .CFG file post this second air test  of max torque

from 4000 to "5000" to simulate this as it is much more realistic). the Caveat applies as usual Edit at

your own Risk.

That's it for now.

I'm going to bed, this took way too long.

Don't Hate me too much lol.

T

FAA ATP, CASA ATPL(A), MEIR, NVFR, Type Rated: A320, B747,B737, E120, B1900D/C KA350,

Multi Ratings: PA31-350, BE58, C310, PN68, PA44, BE76.

Checked out on: C210, R114, C206, PA28, C172, C152.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz (20 CPUs), ~3.3GHzMemory: 64MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, Multi Monitor.

Nice comparison between the real thing and the Carenado 1900D and it gives me a lot of information.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I hope they see this and take your info and make the proper fixes. Maybe not to every single little thing but there seem to be some glaring holes in the airplane like the Seatbelt sign and gear horn silence. How they could miss this I have no clue but as long as it is fixed in a decent amount of time it is not a huge deal. Great input from a real B1900 driver. When I was younger and thinking about being an airline pilot one day the 1900 was always one of my favorite planes for the main reason I though the idea of flying around Florida and the Bahamas in one as a first job would be awesome.

I am not sure if I am going to purchase it with these issues. Just hope they fix some of the major missing pieces. But your comment of it being almost Majestic level is a big seller. Just hope they can get there because this would be a major seller and a big move for the brand.

I don´t have this plane (yet) but find your post very very interesting and informative. Thank you!!

I have the FSB-Switch on my saitek throttle. When pushing the button the FSB and nosmk sound is played. Its Not the default sound, it is a unique sound, but no switch at all! The Stall-test Switch and sound doesnt work either.

Something tells me we need Bert

:P

I'm doing some work on the autopilot and the EHSI - but the systems fixes, are in Carenado's hands

Bert

Thank you, Toucan, for this great information. I do hope they fix most if not all the things you have addressed, Until then, I'll be on hold for the airplane. I really want this one and have watched it for a while now. Once again, thank you, T. Well done!

Don

Overall this plane is really not bad for the virtual. Even PMDG has flaws. But I think Carenado made ​​efforts and this is the most important.

M.Daniel

proatcxlogo.jpg

The Autopilot System, per the AFM I have access to.

The Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS) provides a pilot flight director, three axis autopilot and automatic pitch trim functions. The system consists of an Autopilot Computer, four servos, a Flight Control Panel (FCP) and an Autopilot Panel (APP). Vertical and lateral
steering commands for the flight instrument system command bars and system annunciation are provided by the onboard dual Air Data Computer (ADC) and the Attitude Heading Reference System (AHRS). Inputs signals for ALT hold, IAS hold and VS hold modes are provided by a third Air Data System (ADS) the ADS-65. Flight crew inputs are provided by the APP, FCP, Autopilot Disconnect (AP DISC) switch, Synchronization (SYNC) switch and the Go-Around (GA) switch.

Autopilot Panel (APP)
The APP, provides for crew selection of the autopilot and yaw damper functions as well as adjustment of the vertical mode reference and roll angle. The APP also provides annunciation for autopilot and trim functions.
1. Autopilot Annunciators - provides status of autopilot and trim functions available on the APP.
2. Yaw Engage Button - The yaw engage button is a momentary-action, push-on/push-off button. Pushing the YAW ENG (yaw engage) button once actuates the yaw channel of the autopilot and engages the rudder servo. Pushing the YAW ENG button a second time disengages the rudder servo.
3. Autopilot Engage Button - The autopilot engage button is a momentary-action, push-on/push-off button. Pushing the AP ENG (autopilot engage) button once engages all autopilot servos including the rudder and trim servos. However, pushing the AP ENG button a second time disengages all servos except the rudder servo, which must be disengaged by pushing the YAW ENG button or the system disengage button located on the control wheel.
4. Turn Knob - The turn knob is a right/left (R/L) bank angle control that is used to manually control the aileron channel when the autopilot is engaged. The control has a center detent position at the 0 degree (wings level) position. The control is not spring loaded and will remain at any position between the end stops when released. Operation of the control cancels any previously selected lateral modes except the APPR mode. The bank angle commanded by the control is proportional to the displacement of the control from the center detent position. The turn knob becomes inactive if it is out of the detent position when the SYNC button is pushed. This system will not allow the autopilot to engage if the turn knob is out of detent.
5. Soft-Ride Mode Select Button - The SR (softride) mode select button is a momentary-action, push-on/push-off button. Pushing the SR button selects the soft-ride mode which changes the gain of various circuits in the computer to provide increased passenger comfort during turbulent conditions.
6. 1/2 Ø (half-bank) Select Button - The 1/2 Ø (half-bank) mode select button is a momentary action, push-on/push-off button. Pushing
the 1/2 button selects the half-bank mode which limits the maximum commanded bank angle to approximately 12.5 degrees. 1/2 mode can be selected with any lateral mode except APPR mode or when the APP turn knob is used. 1/2 mode is automatically cancelled when the VOR or localizer signal is captured during the NAV or APPR modes. However, 1/2 mode can be reselected after capture but will have no effect since these modes have a track bank limit of 10 degrees.
7. Vertical Control - The UP/DN vertical control is a center-off, spring-loaded rocker switch that provides manual control of the elevator
channel when the autopilot is engaged and no vertical modes are selected. The vertical control also provides incremental changes to the air data reference if any vertical mode except DSC (descent) mode is selected. If the vertical control is held in the UP or DN position for 1 second or more, the selected vertical mode is cancelled and the system returns to the pitch hold mode. Momentarily pushing the vertical control in pitch hold mode provides a 0.5-degree incremental pitch change for each push. If the control is held in the UP or DN position for more than 1 second, it provides a constant 1-degree/second pitch slew rate (up to the pitch attitude limit) unless it is released prior to reaching the limit. If a vertical mode (ALT, VS, IAS, CLIMB, or DSC) is selected, momentarily operating the vertical control gives a preset step change in that parameter. When the vertical control is released, the autopilot maintains the commanded pitch reference present at the time the switch returns to the center detent (pitch attitude, IAS, VS ALT, etc.). The vertical control is not operational after glideslope capture occurs.

Flight Control Panel (FCP)
The FCP is used to select the operating modes of the Flight Guidance System. The mode select buttons are momentary-action,  push-on/push-off buttons. Mode selection is annunciated on the flight control panel.
1. Mode Annunciators - Annunciators located on the FCP identify active modes.
2. Self-Test Button - The TEST button is a momentary action pushbutton that selects the system diagnostic mode. This mode can be entered on the ground or in the air.
a. Ground Test Mode - Selecting, then releasing, the TEST button while the aircraft is on the ground and parked, or moving on the ground with an airspeed of less than 60 knots, puts the system into ground test mode. All mode annunciators on the FCP illuminate momentarily for a lamp test, and then all will extinguish except for the GA annunciator. The GA annunciator indicates that the system is in the ground test mode. If no other annunciators    besides GA are displayed, all system test routines have been successfully passed. All test routines have designated annunciators on the FCP to identify any test routines that fail. These failure indications (annunciators) should be recorded to assist maintenance personnel in isolating the fault. Select and release the TEST button again to exit ground test mode.
b. Flight Test Mode - When airborne, airborne test mode is entered by selecting the TEST button and holding it in. As in ground test mode, a lamp test of the system annunciators is performed. If no failures are encountered, the lamp test will continue to be displayed, but the annunciators will flash on and off until airborne test mode is cancelled by releasing the TEST button. As in the ground test mode, any fault annunciators that illuminate should be recorded to aid maintenance personnel in locating the fault.
3. Mode Select Buttons - All operating modes for the system are selected on the FCP by pushon/push-off momentary action switches. To prevent inadvertent operation of the system, all pushbuttons require a positive push of at least 1/4 second in order to be recognized by the system. All operating modes can be selected while the autopilot is engaged or disengaged. However, disengaging the autopilot may cancel any vertical modes that were previously selected.
a. HDG - Selection of the HDG mode brings the command bars on the PFD into view and the word HDG in Green on the FCP. The Autopilot Computer generates commands to capture and maintain the selected heading. Heading information is controlled via the Course/Heading Control Panel. For proper operation, the heading bug should not be displaced from the airplane heading by more than 135 degrees when the HDG mode is selected.
b. NAV - Selection of the NAV mode will present two options depending on the aircraft position in relationship to the desired flight path. If the aircraft is not in the proper position to capture the desired flight path when NAV mode is selected, NAV ARM submode will be activated and NAV (Green) ARM (Amber) and HDG (Green) will be displayed on the FCP. Once the aircraft is in the desired position where flight path capture is possible, the mode will switch to NAV and the HDG and ARM annunciators will be removed from the display.  Crosswind correction, up to 30 degrees, is automatically computed after course capture.
c. APPR - Selection of the APPR mode will present two options depending on the aircraft position in relationship to final approach course. If the aircraft is not in the proper position to capture the final approach course, APPR, ARM (Amber) and HDG will be displayed on the FCP and the system will operate in a heading sub-mode. Once the final approach course has been captured, the ARM and HDG annunciators on the FCP will be removed. In a Flight Management System (FMS) approach, the FMC determines the capture point. After capture, the FMS outputs the lateral bank commands to the Flight Guidance Computer (FGC). In a non FMS approach, the FGC does an all-angle adaptive capture. The FGC arms for glideslope capture (if GS is valid) after a front course localizer capture. At glideslope capture, the FGC generates commands to maintain flight on the glidepath. Crosswind correction, up to 30 degrees, is automatically computed after course capture.
d. Back Course (B/C) - Back course localizer approach is selected by pushing the B/C mode button. This mode is similar to the ILS approach mode except it provides commands to capture and track the localizer back course. In this configuration, the B/C annunciator is illuminated and glideslope operation is locked out. Capture and tracking of the back localizer course is the same as an Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach except the system must be manually switched to HDG mode after placing the heading cursor under the lubber line, or the pilot must fly the aircraft manually as the airplane approaches and flies over the localizer transmitter. Annunciation in this mode consists of B/C, HDG, APPR ARM, and APPR at the appropriate stages of the approach.
e. CLIMB - The CLIMB mode provides a smooth transition from the previously selected vertical mode to a preprogrammed vertical climb profile which is also tailored to each aircraft type. The vertical profile is defined by a stored Indicated Airspeed (IAS) command that is modified by the altitude of the aircraft. Selection of CLIMB mode automatically arms the altitude preselect mode, and commands a smooth pitch change to establish the aircraft on the preprogrammed IAS command. The CLM and ALT ARM annunciators illuminate when CLIMB mode is selected. The automatic selection of the altitude preselect mode can be cancelled by selecting the ALT SEL button on the FCP while the ALT ARM annunciator is illuminated. The system will hold the CLIMB mode until another vertical mode is selected or the preselected altitude is captured. The vertical control on the APP can be used to change the IAS reference in ±1-knot increments each time the control is momentarily actuated. However, the vertical control cannot be used to command a descent in this mode because the CLIMB mode has a minimum climb rate of +50 ft/min. If CLIMB mode is selected while the pre-selector is set at the present altitude, the system automatically switches directly to the altitude hold mode without climbing.
f. ALT (Altitude Hold) - The ALT hold mode provides commands to maintain the pressure altitude existing at the time ALT mode was selected. A lateral mode must be selected or the autopilot must be engaged before the ALT mode can be selected. As the aircraft approaches the desired altitude, the vertical speed should be reduced to 500 feet/minute or less and the ALT button selected as the altitude is reached. All pitch commands are to maintain the altitude present at the time of mode selection. The selected altitude can be changed in 25-foot increments by momentarily actuating the vertical control on the APP. The altitude hold mode may be cancelled by selection of IAS or VS modes, selecting the ALT button, or capturing the glideslope.

g. ALT SEL (Altitude Preselect) - The ALT SEL mode works in conjunction with the altitude pre-selector/alerter. The desired altitude is set into the pre-selector, then the ALT SEL mode is selected on the FCP, either directly or by selecting the CLIMB or DSC mode. This arms the altitude preselect mode which provides commands to capture the desired altitude when it is approached. Another vertical mode is normally selected in conjunction with ALT SEL to establish a climb or descent to the preselected altitude. As the preselect altitude is approached, commands are provided to capture the altitude. After the altitude is captured, the system automatically switches to the altitude hold mode.

h. VS (Vertical Speed Hold) - The VS mode is also a hold mode that provides commands to maintain the vertical speed present at the time of mode selection. A lateral mode must be selected or the autopilot must be engaged before the VS mode can be selected. As with the other vertical modes, the computer reads and stores data from the air data sensor at the time of mode selection and provides commands from this reference. The VS reference can be changed in ±200-ft/min increments by momentarily actuating the vertical control on the APP. The VS mode may be cancelled by selection of ALT or IAS modes, selecting the VS button or capturing the glideslope.
i. IAS (Indicated Airspeed Hold) - The IAS mode is a hold mode that provides commands to maintain the indicated airspeed present at the time of mode selection. A lateral mode must be selected or the autopilot must be engaged before the IAS mode can be selected. As with ALT hold, the computer reads and stores data from the air data sensor at the time of mode selection and provides commands from this reference. The IAS reference can be changed in ±1-knot increments by momentarily actuating the vertical control on the APP. The IAS hold mode may be cancelled by selection of ALT or VS modes, selecting the IAS button or capturing the glideslope.
j. DSC (Descent) - The DSC mode provides a smooth transition from the previously selected vertical mode to a preprogrammed vertical descent which is tailored to each aircraft type. Selection of DSC mode automatically arms the altitude preselect mode, and commands a smooth pitch change to establish the aircraft on the preprogrammed vertical descent rate. The DSC and ALT ARM annunciators illuminate when DSC mode is selected. The automatic selection of the altitude preselect mode can be cancelled by selecting the ALT SEL button on the FCP while the ALT ARM annunciator is illuminated. After the DSC mode has been established, the vertical control on the APP can be used to change the descent rate in 200-ft/min increments. If DSC mode is selected while the pre-selector is set at the present altitude, the system automatically switches directly to the altitude hold mode without descending.

Please understand that each AFM is customized for the airplane and the components installed. This one has a slightly updated full color FCP and APP, however the operation is the same regardless if it is the older monochrome FCP and APP or the newer color FCP and APP.

Do not ask for the AFM, I cannot provide entire AFMs to anyone except certified pilots undergoing flight training. Copying a small portion is OK but providing the entire manual is not.

I hope this helps Bert and others trying to recode the APP and FCP so it operates correctly.

Great comparison. Thanks.

I will buy this plane and fly it while we wait for fixes and FDEs :D

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg