Sign in to follow this  
Magnus Pihl

Trim

As there is no 2D window support for the throttle quadrant in PMDG737NGX, it requires "mouse look" to check the trim value. Is there some workaround or add-on program that can show this value in some kind of window?

BR,

Magnus

You can adjust one of the VC views: Hit 'A' once from the 2D cockpit, then pan and zoom that view to show the trim setting.

Then you can switch back and forth between cockpit view and "trim view" by hitting 'A' and 'Shift+A' respectively.

or just use  the vc  view  and pan down

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Use the VC view and look down.  Eyeball it.  There's absolutely no reason that it needs to be exact.

I was about to link you to a presentation I've made, but I haven't finalized the recording yet.

Basically, the value isn't an exact value (despite being out to two decimal places, for some reason), so it isn't a huge deal if it's not 5.23 units of trim exactly.  Additionally, if you're sitting in the plane (the real one), do you think that the pilots can hover their hand over the trim gauge and have a value magically pop up?  Nope.  They eyeball it, too.

Kyle Rodgers

so it isn't a huge deal if it's not 5.23 units of trim exactly.
It's funny - we joke during our takeoff brief about this.

"This'll be a Flaps 5 - 5 selected, 26k MAX takeoff, N1 96.6, Stab trim 5.23 units pre-CISELY set. . . "

Every once in a while you'll get a maverick who'll round to the tenth.

The error from the left trim indicator to the right side is way more than .01. I don't know why engineers would add insignificant digits. My HS physics teacher would not be happy.

Matt Cee

Every once in a while you'll get a maverick who'll round to the tenth.

Why am I picturing a political person from your state when you use that word...? ha ha

The error from the left trim indicator to the right side is way more than .01. I don't know why engineers would add insignificant digits. My HS physics teacher would not be happy.

Beyond that, how much error is picked up in the indicator being so thick, too?  Even though the line drawn on it is pretty thin, the narrow end of the indicator seems like it could take up the entire width between two tick marks.

Oddly enough, I was thinking the same thing (about sig figs), but I think it was my chem teacher who started us on the topic.

He was also the one who would fail us on our final if we misspelled potassium:

"It has two of your favorite things as teenagers!!! And then you just add an '-ium' on the end!"

Kyle Rodgers

Beyond that, how much error is picked up in the indicator being so thick, too?
The thing that bugs me is the thick ticks and the thin ticks. 5.1 isn't halfway between the ticks because 5.0 is thick and 5.2 is thin. It's halfway between the center  of the ticks.

Oh well, measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, and yank until the nose goes where you want.

Matt Cee

The thing that bugs me is the thick ticks and the thin ticks. 5.1 isn't halfway between the ticks because 5.0 is thick and 5.2 is thin. It's halfway between the center of the ticks.

Why make things easy, and consider human factors?  I mean, come on...we already went totally out of our way to re-do the center engine gauges to ensure they matched the engine side...

Oh well, measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, and yank until the nose goes where you want.

haha - exactly!

Kyle Rodgers

Elevator trim set precisely.

for the VR speed.

now add 20 knots to that speed in climbout, and you have to trim again, but now to a value that wasn't calculated.

Flaps 1 - Trim again.

Flaps up  - trim again

Accelerate to 250kts - more trim.

For all intents, that trim value is only really relevant for a few seconds during the time when you are doing over 100kts and still have the gear down. Of course if it was way off value by several whole digits, then the rotation could be a bit of a mess. Maybe a tail-strike mess.

You can just use the virtual cockpit move eyepoint commands to look down there. You should be setting it before you taxi anyway, so look down. Stare at it. and you don't need to worry about rolling off the taxiway because you shouldn't be moving anyway.

I was testing out some stuff and forgot to set trim at all, took off fine although rotation required yoke all the way back to the stops and was a little slower than normal. I now eyeball it to, even in the 777.

Intresting topic guys.

I could see the trim units, if I hovered my mouse over the wheel, after a reinstall of the 737 it is not happening now, anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

Clive.

anyone know how to fix this?

Check to ensure the "Cockpit tool tips" option is checked in your FSX settings menus. (probably the Aircraft settings, but I can't remember)

Kyle Rodgers

Beyond that, how much error is picked up in the indicator being so thick, too? Even though the line drawn on it is pretty thin, the narrow end of the indicator seems like it could take up the entire width between two tick marks.

You wouldn't believe that in the real aircraft, the F/Os trim indicator is indicates 2/10ths more aft trim than than the Captain's side. Add to that standard weights for bags and pax, large cargo sections, etc, then everything is roughly approximate. As a result, usually control forces are correct on T/O, but sometimes it needs to be hauled off and other times it just leaps into the air.

You wouldn't believe that in the real aircraft, the F/Os trim indicator is indicates 2/10ths more aft trim than than the Captain's side. Add to that standard weights for bags and pax, large cargo sections, etc, then everything is roughly approximate. As a result, usually control forces are correct on T/O, but sometimes it needs to be hauled off and other times it just leaps into the air.

haha - yep.  Matt alluded to the difference earlier, and the standard weights thing was something I rambled on about for a while in my latest video.

Kyle Rodgers