Sign in to follow this  
jason74

Do You Remember Your First ever Flight in a Jet Aircraft?

Hi

I just thought id ask if you all remember your First jet Ride.

My one was on a TAA / Trans Australia airlines DC-9-32  From Sydney to Cairns Via Townsville around 1980 when I was 6 Years old. I remember all the Kids on the flight where taken up to the cockpit for a look.I have loved aviation ever since.

Jason Richards

Mine would have been mid 80's Dan Air BAC 111 from Gatwick to Ibiza. On the return journey Gatwick was fog bound so many planes diverted to Bournemouth and were bused back to Gatwick. Whilst the big airline passengers got new modern buses, us Dan Air reprobates where given a throwback to the 1950's which presumably was not road worthy as we only went on the back roads. A 2 hour journey took 5, 3 longer than the flight

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Start of work: Feb 3, 1980 - aged 18, YSSY - YMML in a TAA B727,then YMML - YMLT in TAA DC-9.

David Porrett

Oh yes. October 1984, BA 747-100, LHR-LAX. I was 8 years old and part way across the Atlantic, my sister and I were asked if we'd like to see the cockpit. I just remember the huge cockpit, all the dials and this beautiful view of the Atlantic. I fell in love with flying right there, and it's never left me. :)

Jess B

Yep, and it was a big deal since I only had flown Twin Otters before. It was in 1982 in a Sterling Airways Sud Aviation SE 210 Caravelle.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

October 1990, EDDB (Berlin Schönefeld - UUEE (Moscow Sheremetyevo) in an Ilyushin Il-86. Cool, it was´nt a good plane.

Oops, sorry, big mistake, it was a good plane. Error is human...

A turkish airlines jet from Paris to Istanbul in 1981. Idon't know which jet it was. But I was invited in the cocpit that was awesome. ( I was 12)

Unfortunately I don't as I was maybe 1 or 2, it was a charter flight from Helsinki to somewhere in Greece with Finnair's 757, in 1996 or 1997. Since that I've flown in their 757's very many times and even crossed the Atlantic in one two years ago when going to Cuba, that's why I like the 757 so much. 

Unfortunately Finnair is going to retire the 757 this year and replace it with new sharklet A321's, not sure if my charter flight to Chania in a couple of months will be operated with a 757 or A321. I hope I would get to fly in a Finnair 757 once more. 

flew to Montreal in a DC8 from somewhere's on the East Coast.

Air Canada; cost  35 dollars (return !), with free alcoholic drinks

Return flight was on a vintage DC6 which was much more romantic, with an hour's stop in Qubec City. Captain left the cockpit door open so you could see the abundance of dials and other such advanced technology. Loved starring out the window at that beautiful Rolls Royce emblem on the engine cover. Made this poor chap feel temporarily rich. Or was that the DC5. And you could actually see terrain detail! (Victor airway's levels)  No blurries (LOL)

First jet I cleared to land: a Lockheed 1011 in from London. Considering I was making 3.50  Cdn an hour as a trainee, I was paid $1.03 to land that plane. No wonder we have a national debt !

A Malev's tupolev 134 some 20 years ago towards Budapest.

I admit I was scared but even more fascinated. This engine sound!

Eastern Airlines 727 Whisperjet. Indianapolis - St. Pete FL 1967 I was 9 yrs. old.

My souvenir:

5ENCk.jpg

On the flip side.

YB3LC.jpg

Britannia 737 from EGCC Manchester to LOWS Salzburg in May 1993. Quite appropriate really, considering my surname :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, in 1973 from LHR to Helsinki with my father.  We flew a BOAC (or maybe it was BA) Hawker Siddeley Trident.

It must have been in 1964 or 1965. The aircraft was a Sud Aviation Caravelle III operated by Swissair. It was a very short flight from Zurich to Basel....

Regards, Felix

post-184318-0-99731400-1389611979.jpg

• Upvote 1

Felix