Sign in to follow this  
captain420

P3D and micro stutters

Does anyone know what causes these micro stutter? It happens randomly for me. I have my fps locked to 30fps in P3D, and sometimes when i pan around in the virtual cockpit, like when I look out the left side to view the scenery, I see it slightly stuttering. But when returning the view to look out the front, it goes away. I have tried readjusting my settings and have turned down and deactived a few things to see if that would fix the problem and its still there. Although the FPS shows a constant 29-30 FPS, I still see it stuttering. I have launched nvidia inspector while this is going on to see what the GPU usage is and it shows about 40-60% only. So it's not like my GPU is overworked.

Could affinity mask setting have anything to do with this? I have it set to 84, since I am using an i7-3770k OC to 4.5ghz with hyperthreading enabled. This is really ruining the enjoyment of my flight and I would like to figure out how to fix this.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I have only ever found micro stutters when limiting my framerates..if you go unlimited, there are no microstutters.

I believe this is a legacy issue (ie coding all the way from FSX) and a fix may have been found by LM for the upcoming patch.

Strange, because I have set my fps to unlimited in P3D before and also this happening. I guess I'll give it a try once more and see again. I did some more testing around and changed the nvidia inspector frame rate limiter to 30fps and also set my p3d target also to 30fps, this helped, notice no microstutters, but as soon as I turn on the 2nd G1000 inside the Carenado 206 or the Carenado 182 Skylane, I notice that the microstutters come back. So this could be a problem with Carenado's plane. I haven't yet tried this on the default planes or any other planes to see if they also are affected. But setting both the nvidia inspector and p3d to 30fps helped quite a bit and so far stutter free when panning around all views. Although I didn't do a thorough test. I took off from PHTO (Hilo International) using FSDT Hawaiian airports, opusfsx, ftx global, ftx vector, fsuipc,rex 4, fs global ultimate mesh. Flew for about 5-10 minutes, and was smooth until I turned on the right G1000 unit. That's when the stutter came back.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I found that setting my TrackIR priority to High in Task Manager pretty much eliminated all of my microstutters. 

Ed Haslam

I don't have TrackIR though.

I have only ever found micro stutters when limiting my framerates..if you go unlimited, there are no microstutters.

LOL And this shows that sims like these work different on every PC because for me unlimited is a 100% guarantee for stutters…!  ^_^

I don't have TrackIR though.

Then it's not that then ;)

Try setting your frame rate to something other than 30 exactly (eg 32) and fly a default plane with no addons. I think there are some combinations of (v2 incompatible) addons that aren't helping.

Ed Haslam

I have found in V2 that the best setting for my PC is to set unlimited in the P3D GUI and then limit the FPS to 30 with inspector.

Totally the opposite in my FSX installation.