Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Opinion of SSG 747-8

Glad to see this topic!

As has been mentioned, I am a huge fan of the 747 (there may be tube liner addicts here but I think my diagnosis is "obsessed" when it comes to the Queen). I was one of the first people to purchase PS1 by Aerowinx back in the 1990s. Ever since then I have dreamed of one day help bring a detailed 747 add-on to the Mac community, and X-Plane has allowed me to do that as part of the excellent SSG/FJCC team. Of course, PC X-Plane users are benefiting as well (I dual boot my Mac with Windows 7 so I am not starting a Mac vs PC war here).

So yes, there is a real knowledge base on the 747 on this team, and we have access to great technical information as well as to current and former 747 pilots who help us out. If the textures are not at a level that pleases everyone, that is unfortunate, but the team's focus was on providing a core aircraft that is fun, immersive, and accurate without gestating for too many years. My point of pride is that the plane is fun to hand fly, and I hope it does the real aircraft justice because the 747 is supposed to be a wonderful flying airplane (comments from real 747 pilots to us has been quite positive - I only have 1 hour logged in a 747-300 full motion sim to go by).

Rest assured that there will be enhancements and you should know that we are actively working in several areas. System depth is definitely part of that. As Ricardo says, a Freighter version is coming and it will be enhanced further, with those improvements finding their way to the 747-8i as well. And SSG liveries have always been free. 

Sincerely,

- Stekeller

SSG

• Upvote 3

Glad to see this topic!

As has been mentioned, I am a huge fan of the 747 (there may be tube liner addicts here but I think my diagnosis is "obsessed" when it comes to the Queen). I was one of the first people to purchase PS1 by Aerowinx back in the 1990s. Ever since then I have dreamed of one day help bring a detailed 747 add-on to the Mac community, and X-Plane has allowed me to do that as part of the excellent SSG/FJCC team. Of course, PC X-Plane users are benefiting as well (I dual boot my Mac with Windows 7 so I am not starting a Mac vs PC war here).

So yes, there is a real knowledge base on the 747 on this team, and we have access to great technical information as well as to current and former 747 pilots who help us out. If the textures are not at a level that pleases everyone, that is unfortunate, but the team's focus was on providing a core aircraft that is fun, immersive, and accurate without gestating for too many years. My point of pride is that the plane is fun to hand fly, and I hope it does the real aircraft justice because the 747 is supposed to be a wonderful flying airplane (comments from real 747 pilots to us has been quite positive - I only have 1 hour logged in a 747-300 full motion sim to go by).

Rest assured that there will be enhancements and you should know that we are actively working in several areas. System depth is definitely part of that. As Ricardo says, a Freighter version is coming and it will be enhanced further, with those improvements finding their way to the 747-8i as well. And SSG liveries have always been free. 

Sincerely,

- Stekeller

SSG

Thank you so much for taking the time to give this update to us. I really appreciate it!

I'm a very happy custom, glad I started this thread in the first place, it give me incentive to buy this great plane. It seems like a solid plane to me, simulation wise. Yes some systems are currently inoperative, but the one that are working do their job right.

I see a bright future for this project ;)

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

I also purchased this aircraft a few days ago and have not stop flying it!

I can't wait to see what update they bring next.

Yes, it's a great addon, and it has lot's of potential.

The FMC is already very complete, I love the hand-flying, and I even love the graphics, although for those of you more graphic-oriented, I understand that you may want even more in that area...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Any screenshots of the cockpit please?

Here's one of the overhead. I'll be able to take some more screenshots later for you ;)

ansn.png

• Upvote 2

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Oh and I forgot to say, I made some new engine sounds for this plane. You can find them here: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=747&CatID=xsounds&Go=Search or else on the org  ^_^

• Upvote 1

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Got it!!! Thx!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Had to resurrect this thread.  I just purchased the SSG 747 and I have to say with the new revisions and cockpit textures, it is SOLID.  I am a PMDG guy but have been putting a lot of time into XPX and P3D. 

My current long haul is the FF 777 but the SSG will get at least as much time if not more.  Very pleasant aircraft, well done! 

The one thing I do hope is that more liveries become available.  Would love to have a fictional United livery, so hopefully the liveries keep getting churned out!

-Phil

Had to resurrect this thread.  I just purchased the SSG 747 and I have to say with the new revisions and cockpit textures, it is SOLID.  I am a PMDG guy but have been putting a lot of time into XPX and P3D. 

My current long haul is the FF 777 but the SSG will get at least as much time if not more.  Very pleasant aircraft, well done! 

The one thing I do hope is that more liveries become available.  Would love to have a fictional United livery, so hopefully the liveries keep getting churned out!

-Phil

I'm completely with you on this one. The last update was really well done. It is worth getting! 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Buy it, it's amazing. I only fly the SSG 747 and Saab 340. All my other payware is on hold.

Agreed!  My first flight was YSSY to KLAX... followed the VNAV and LNAV paths really well and performance has been great.  The sound in the cockpit is really pleasant as well... you really get the sense that you are piloting the plain.  I found though that running with the engines in TOGA that thing is a thoroughbred... got up to speed very quickly, even with tons of fuel and 360 passengers.

Are we talking about the same 747 with the bland textures and the barely modeled systems? Last I checked it didn't even model IRSs. Has there been another patch?

Are we talking about the same 747 with the bland textures and the barely modeled systems? Last I checked it didn't even model IRSs. Has there been another patch?

Yep, if you do a bit of research the "same 747" has been updated to V 1.03 as of April.  The textures were redone and they look much better.  Your assumption based on the tone you are using is that an aircraft that models more is better.  If that is what you enjoy, great, but not everyone is like you.  No need to pop in a thread and make a condescending remark like that.

• Upvote 1

Yep, if you do a bit of research the "same 747" has been updated to V 1.03 as of April.  The textures were redone and they look much better.  Your assumption based on the tone you are using is that an aircraft that models more is better.  If that is what you enjoy, great, but not everyone is like you.  No need to pop in a thread and make a condescending remark like that.

Sorry I was mislead with the title of the thread being  "Opinion of SSG 747-8". The planes a WIP, even the devs will tell you they are redoing the textures and I hope modeling a few more systems. It is the best 747 for Xplane right now and with a little more spit and polish it can go from lite to study sim. The textures do look better than they did from launch, but not in the league with other similar priced AC. I'm just giving my 2 cents.