Sign in to follow this  
piperarrow41

KSBM Runway Extension

Runway 03-21 at KSBM (my local airport) was extended shortly after FSX was released.  Would anyone be willing to update the ADFC to include the lengthen runway for me?  I have absolutely no experience in modifying scenery files.

Thanks,

John

I have absolutely no experience in modifying scenery files.

Nobody did, until they decided to try. Are you not willing to try?

I can give it a try, but really don't want to mess anything up.

Hang on a sec and I'll give you a step by step guide. This is really easy to do once you get the hang of it.

I'll be editing this as I go through the process. I'll let you know when I'm finished with the post.

You will need 2 tools. Both are free. SBuilderX 3.13 and Airport Design Editor 1.60.5128

Go to a site like this one http://airportguide.com/airport/United_States/Wisconsin/Sheboygan-KSBM-SBM/ that will give you information you will need.

airport_zps94136102.jpg

What you're wanting in this situation is the latitude and longitude information. If you were building an airport from scratch you would also need elevation information among other things.

Open SBuilderX and start a new project.

Name the project KSBM and make sure to point to a path you can remember. I always create a folder in the projects directory of the SbuilderX directory and use the airport code as the folder name. In this case KSBM.

In SBuilderX, select View -> Go To Position

Copy and paste the latitiude 43.769778 and longitude -87.851722 information from the above website into the dialog box in SBuilderX and click OK

Click View -> Show Background

Roll your mouse wheel or whatever you have to zoom into level 15. SBuilderX will tell you the zoom level in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Now you should see this:

aport_zps45d084f2.jpg

Now Click File -> Add Map -> From background

A selection box will pop up. Make sure your zoom is still 15. Left click and hold down your mouse button on the picture and select the airport area. In this instance you don't need the whole picture. Just the airport area is good enough for what you want to do. Once selected click ok. You can close SBuilderX now as we are finished with it.

Now you need to find the picture that was saved as the background. It should be in a folder in the SbuilderX directory called "work" Look there first. What you are looking for are 2 files that look similar to these:

files_zpsb778ff7f.jpg

You're looking for the bmp file AND the associated txt file. Double click on the bmp file to make sure its your background. Once verified you're ready to move on.

Now Open Airport Design Editor

Click File -> Open stock Airport

Type in KSBM and click search.

Highlight the result and click open

You should see this:

ade_zps95d8489a.jpg

Now, right click on the screen

Click Add -> Image

This dialog box will open:

dia_zps76f95088.jpg

In the file name section point to you bmp file you found earlier and check the box Enter Corner Coordinates.

Remember where the bmp and txt files where? We need to open the txt file now for the coordinates

Input as follows:

coords_zps02d6a228.jpg

Top Left is North/West

Bottom Right is South/East

Click Save

Click View -> Airport Backgrounds  and you should see this:

work_zpsb5f3eca0.jpg

Now you have the exact location of where the airport should be and where FSX has your Airport. As you can see it's pretty close. Now is when you would edit the AFCAD using the background as your guide. When you have it as you want you will will need to save and compile it in ADE. I would suggest saving it several times during editing. YOu will need to create a folder in your Addon Scenery folder in FSX. I'd name it KSBM. Create a Scenery folder in the KSBM folder and compile your AFCAD to that folder. Make sure to add the area in FSX.

I hope this helps and good luck!

If someone with experience knows an easier way to do this or see's that I have missed something, please feel free to pitch in. You won't hurt my feelings.

Thanks for the information, but what do I do after I open Airport Design Editor?  Also, if I adjust the length of the runways, will the instrument approaches still bring me down to the correct location, or will they also need to be edited.

Thank you again for the info.

John

Thanks for the information, but what do I do after I open Airport Design Editor?  Also, if I adjust the length of the runways, will the instrument approaches still bring me down to the correct location, or will they also need to be edited.

Thank you again for the info.

John

See above and follow the steps after "Open Airport Design Editor". I don't think in this case the instrument approaches will be affected. You're not moving the runways that much. The green arrow at the bottom runway will have to be moved. Pay close attention to how/where it's located before moving and put it in the same location on the runway after you move the runway. It's trial and error. You can't mess up the fsx original AFCAD as you aren't modifying the actual file. You're creating a new AFCAD for this location and using the "original" so you don't have to start from scratch.

Thanks, I will give it a try when I have some time and will let you know how it turns out.  I appreciate the information!

Best Regards,

John

I tried it and was unable to get it to work.  There was something wrong with Sbuilder and it wouldn't allow me to show background...something about a modified terrain.cfg file.  Thanks anyway for your help!

John

John, 

Where in the county do you live? I am in the city of sheboygan. Also, Ive been looking for a good KSBM scenery.Thanks, Reed

I live in the area (Sheboygan Falls), and have already made changes to this local airport.  When I get a chance, I'll get back here, and maybe somehow I can get the file to you.  Mind you, I am by no means a pro at this, but if I can get it to you, you can try it.  If you like it fine, otherwise get rid of it.

Gary

Gary