Sign in to follow this  
worx

Adding approach mode to plane that doesnt have it

Hey guys, ive download a great plane. Im in love with, however it had some problems with auto pilot. After countless hours ive managed to fix almost everything.

But now all i have left is, this plane doesnt come with approach mode, however it does come with NAV 1 hold, which holds the heading of ils but not the altitude.

So my question is, is it possible to add approach mode to an aircraft that doesnt come with it? If so youll make my day, :) 

Thanks guys looking forward to your posts. 

Thanks for the reply, i am very aware for ctrl+a, like i said this plane doesnt have it. It only has ctrl+n

When i press ctrl+a nothing happens, when i press ctr+n it lines up with heading, not altitude.

Im using the f35 by dino, which doesnt have auto approach mode. 

Hmmm I though it did. If not you can always add a 2D popup of the default bendix king avionics stack. Just copy the info from the panel.cfg of the default Cessna. Should be under Window02 or something.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

i think your talking about the GPS stack? Which i already have. Its copied identically from the f18 which does have auto approach.

Its driving me insane trying to figure out how this f35 doesnt have an auto approach, i checked the manual, i searched all over the internet with 0 finds. 

Has no one landed this plane via autopilot? 

No, the avionics. It would have radio frequencies and autopilot at the bottom.

You might have to change the aircraft.cfg as well to allow use of apr mode. When I get home I'll look at it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

No, the avionics. It would have radio frequencies and autopilot at the bottom.

You might have to change the aircraft.cfg as well to allow use of apr mode. When I get home I'll look at it.

Think what your talking about is the radio stack to enter your ils, which it already has. The same one as the f18. Ive looked into aircraft.cfg autopilot section and its fine, infact i copied the f18 autopilot and still nothing.

F18 when your approaching i hit ctrl + a and it activated approach mode which uses glider for altitude and corrects your heading. When i do the same thing with f35 nothing happens. ctrl+a simply doesnt work. The only thing that does work is ctrl+n which is nav1 holder, which lines you up for the run way, but it doesnt correct your altitude according to the slope glider of ils. 

F18 it works perfectly, just like a 747, but not the case with f35. Ive done alot of research and there seems nothing on the internet at all about how to land this plane using ils. There isnt a single site that talks about it nor does dino who created the aircraft. Im really puzzled. 

Dino's usually over at Sim Outhouse forums...

Anyway, on my install, using the 2D popup and pressing APR, works.

I've got to admit the AP behavior is really poor. And I think Dino mentioned something about some limitation when he designed it.  Perhaps a reinstall is in order?  A new version was just posted

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Yes you can.

All parameters for autopilot operation can be found in the aircraft.cfg file.

Ensure that parameters starting with gs_ (ie glideslope) are set correctly. You can do this by copying the params from a similar aircrafts cfg file into the one you are trying to fix.

Also ensure that the nav.1 param in the [RADIOS] section has glideslope activated

There are three flags, set the first to 1 if there is a Nav1 receiver, the second if it supports a standby frequency, and the third if it supports a glideslope indication. eg Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1

www.antsairplanes.com

Good information from a guy who makes great planes!

But I do think the user has something wrong in her install.  Because I just flew tonight and it appears functional on my end in the F-35B.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

ive copied all those settings from an f18 which does work, to the f35b. And it doesnt work?

How do you activate it? ctrl+a? Is there a button in cock pit that turns it on aswell? Because i dont see an APP button, i also did install a fresh copy of the f35.

How do you guys activate it? 

This is my autopilot cfg

[autopilot]
autopilot_available=1
flight_director_available=1
default_vertical_speed=1800
autothrottle_available=1
autothrottle_arming_required=1
autothrottle_max_rpm = 90
autothrottle_takeoff_ga=1
pitch_takeoff_ga = 8;
max_pitch=10.0
max_pitch_acceleration=1.0
max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=2.0
max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt=1.5
max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt_breakpoint=20000.0
max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt_breakpoint=28000.0
max_bank=30,25,20,15,10
max_bank_acceleration=1.8
max_bank_velocity=3.00
max_throttle_rate=0.10
nav_proportional_control=12.00
nav_integrator_control=0.25
nav_derivative_control=0.00
nav_integrator_boundary=2.50
nav_derivative_boundary=0.00
gs_proportional_control=25.0
gs_integrator_control=0.53
gs_derivative_control=0.00
gs_integrator_boundary=0.70
gs_derivative_boundary=0.00
yaw_damper_gain = 1.0

On Dino's F35 you have to use the popup (shift 2 I think). Be sure you're below the GS and select a reasonable intercept heading like 30 degrees at most. FSX autopilot is notoriously poor and this plane is no exception.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |