Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Not getting all of the 2-D popups in VC mode - 777

I fly the 777 entirely in VC mode.  When I click the cursor arrow on the VC PFD or the upper EICAS, I get the 2-D popup panels with clear and enlarged fonts that I can re-size and drag around.  However, if I click similarly on the Nav Display or on the lower EICAS, nothing happens at all.  Is this a glitch of this aircraft or is it me?  I appreciate any reply, thanks!

JS

I fly the 777 entirely in VC mode. When I click the cursor arrow on the VC PFD or the upper EICAS, I get the 2-D popup panels with clear and enlarged fonts that I can re-size and drag around. However, if I click similarly on the Nav Display or on the lower EICAS, nothing happens at all. Is this a glitch of this aircraft or is it me?

Hi, JS,

Looks like this is how it is set up.  The PFD and upper EICAS do pop up when clicked on, but the ND and lower EICAS do not.  I may have modified the PSS T777 panel, but I believe there is a popup that has all three upper displays, PFD, ND and upper EICAS, using Shift-2. 

The ND pop-up is available by going into Views>Instrument Panel where there is a list of all available popup panel windows, including all the display windows.  However most of them are numbered too high to be available using Shift-[NUMBER].

You could change the order of these popup windows so that one or more of them is available within the first nine via Shift-[Number].  You need to edit the panel.cfg file in Aircraft>PSS7704>panel (make a backup of the panel.cfg file first).  You need to reorder and renumber the list at the beginning of the file under [Window Titles], and you need to reorder and renumber the individual Window entries that begin with [WindowXX].  To get the ND, you could swap the clock, Window6, with the Inboard display pop-up, Window9.  Note that the window number is one less than the Shift-[number] that activates it (Window00=Shift-1, Window01=Shift-2, etc.)

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  You know your stuff!  Wow, it's been ages since I edited a cfg file, but now that you mention it, I recall that procedure from long ago and will try it.  You are right about the popup of all three displays together using the SHIFT function; I'd forgotten about that too, but I tried it and it works!  So that alone is significant progress.

I appreciate your reply, many thanks.  I love this plane; she flies really well for me in all modes.

JS

I appreciate your reply, many thanks. I love this plane; she flies really well for me in all modes.

Hi, JS,

Glad to be of help!  I spent many hours flying this 777 and merges with the Opensky 777 models, to get 777-200s and -200ERs.

More recently I've been flying the PMDG 777.  It is superior in many ways, all the systems work better, especially the FMC.  However it needs FSX, a pretty powerful computer, careful installation and close reading of the manuals.  And it is pricey.  At the moment only the 200LR and 200F are available, but PMDG is expected to release the 300ER pretty soon and will probably do at least some versions of the 200ER.  For me, knowing the PSS 777 pretty well made it much easier to transition to the PMDG version.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike:

I wish I could join you in a new rig with FSX and the PMDG 777.  But I have difficulty facing the migration and configging for FSX even though I've seen the PMDG fleet on a friend's super-rig with huge screens and it is totally amazing stuff.  I have a massive investment in FS2004 with scores of aircraft and saved flights, and although I keep thinking I could and should migrate, it never happens!

In real life, the 777 is quite an exceptional aircraft.  I've flown in it a great deal since 1996, but have to say that I badly miss flying in the 747-400 which really was Queen of the Skies for me for 30+ years as a pax.  It's too bad for Boeing that the 777 has more or less killed off the passenger version of the 747. It's an example of perverse marketing.  I understand PMDG is going to re-engineer the 747 now, so perhaps I shall have to re-think migrating to FSX yet again, arghh!

Thanks for posting.  Much appreciated.

JS

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.