Hi all.

I am a student pilot (GA) and I wanted to practice my landings because I have a very unique problem.

I will explain why later, but in order to do this I have purchased the bundle of FSX and Saitek Yoke, Throttle, and rudders.

I had NO idea that FSX had been stopped for development, but I do not think I care as long as I can get a reasonable simulation to practice.

My computer is very strong on Windows7 64 bit and I had no trouble with the FSX install. But the throttle, yoke and rudders have been a mess!  I have them reasonably set up now for most things but I notice things like I tried to make the button 7+8? a rudder trim and it just doesn't seem to stick.  Also, I do not understand about views so that I can get the instrument panel in one window and the sight picture out the window in another.

All of this to say, I want to get a baseline setup that has proper controls for training in a 172.

I struggled with throttle and brakes on the toes of the rudder, still do, but I need them all to be basically configured.  If this process means I must become a programmer, now is not the time!  I want to be a pilot, not a programmer!

I am ready to buy add-ons, like A2ASim and FSUIPC4, but there is SO MUCH information out there I am feeling like I may be throwing good money after bad, and not getting closer to my goal of simply having a training mechanism with a reasonable amount of realism... like the yoke, rudders, brakes, flaps, throttle, etc. The basics.

I am not ready to learn scripting, etc. I don't need to play the sim games either.  I am looking for a basic trainer.

Can someone point me to a pinned process, step1, step2, step3 to do this?

It seems like most tutorials assume so much I cannot figure it out!

Please help if you are able?  I saw someone else here with similar needs and I think it would be of value to many.  If not, I am getting close to returning the setup as a loss in my efforts.

Sincerely, thanx.

Zeddock.

I posted this after reading some things about Prepa3d... thought it might help to understand what I am trying to get to:

Reality = Just the basics for me right now!

I bought the bundle from Sportys to practice as a Student Pilot.

I was looking for reasonable realism from the controls.  It seems to be there but I am VERY sure the configuration is off.

I thought it would be pretty simple.... hit the brakes on the tops of the rudder pedals and brakes! Nope. (After hours of fiddling I got he brakes to work on that axis, but as soon as I apply it must turn on a brake somewhere else because if I release it still says brakes.... I digress...)

This is basic reality for me:

Reasonable physics form the 172. (I can't feel it in my seat so reasonable will have to do...)

Throttle

Fuel Mix

Carb Heat

Flaps

Elev Trim

Rudder Trim

Yoke movements

Rudder movements

Brakes

Now after that we can go into others like radio, instruments, etc.... however..

And this hopefully will be a good reason for my post;

I got all of this and put it together for really one reason:

Upon approach for landing I wanted to get an idea of the sight-picture.

Now THAT is really open to interpretation!

I mean, how far up is your dash coming?

How easy is it to see out the side window?

Do shadows throw me off?

So, the visuals certainly important.  Only time will tell if this setup is headed back or not.  So far, it has been way too much trouble to even get what I call the basics.

I am hoping that my purchase of FSUPCI4 will help, since I have been unsuccessful at getting the hardware even close to correct.  But, I think I am losing that battle too!

Anybody willing to help me start from scratch and get this thing configured?  I will listen intently if someone who knows what to do will help. 

Cheers!

Zeddock

Zeddock.

First off, I would purchase FSUIPC and install that. Secondly you should then disable joystick in FSX, this hands over all configuration to fsuipc. Now to calibrate your equipment (what sounds like you have is a simple and common setup) there are PLENTY of walkthroughs already, I personally found the manual with fsuipc very hard to read the first time round, but you will find the program is very easy to use after a while. Read through this, should get you on the right track: http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/SIMSAMURAI+FSUIPC+TUTORIAL.pdf

I suggest you get all your functions working as required. then come back and decide what you want to do next.

You can have a look at this tool too, it puts all your instruments onto a separate monitor which is useful for trainee because you can have your primary monitor for full VFR use. http://simplugins.com/html/fsx.html

Zeddock.

First off, I would purchase FSUIPC and install that. Secondly you should then disable joystick in FSX, this hands over all configuration to fsuipc. Now to calibrate your equipment (what sounds like you have is a simple and common setup) there are PLENTY of walkthroughs already, I personally found the manual with fsuipc very hard to read the first time round, but you will find the program is very easy to use after a while. Read through this, should get you on the right track: http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/SIMSAMURAI+FSUIPC+TUTORIAL.pdf

I suggest you get all your functions working as required. then come back and decide what you want to do next.

You can have a look at this tool too, it puts all your instruments onto a separate monitor which is useful for trainee because you can have your primary monitor for full VFR use. http://simplugins.com/html/fsx.html

I did the purchase and see some benefit, but the button configurations, ESPECIALLY the hat switch for views, is difficult so I have re-enabled the FSX, but I think... and I am hoping... that only the buttons are now coming from the FSX side.

Thanx!

zedddock

I am getting REALLY CLOSE now!

But one of the things I have done created a jitter  in the ailerons!

If untouched, the yoke is displayed fine. But any change on left or right aileron creates jitter in the displayed yoke position and aileron position.

This is distracting visually and each jump seems to impact the whole visual display.

Any ideas?

Thanx...

zeddock

I found this to be what many have already found and reported... After deleting all of the axis assignments from FSX native, and carefully assigning them in FSUIPC4, the jitter is gone.

zeddock

Zeddock, I won't pretend to be able to give you a good explanation on how to set up your controls, but I would recommend looking at TrackIR, for views, since this allows you to look around the cockpit, and out any window, simply by turning your head in the direction you want to look.

Wow.  It amazes me how quickly we pile on deep complexities on new members who are new users.  I love FSUIPC, but it literally takes as much education and experience as FSX itself.  The literally before he gets in the air we're throwing TrackIr at him.  Anyone for EzDoc so that he gets the most from TrackIr?  Yes these are all excellent recommendations - when spaced accordingly.  Why don't we let him fly?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I agree fppilot, but since he asked about visuals, i simply responded to that part of his question.

rob

I appreciate ALL the info, but fppilot is correct that it can overwhelm easily.

I have it down pretty good now, guys!

My father, a pilot, AandP and IA, tested the sim for me and agrees it is approaching the feel and use we wanted for me to practice... even better...

The practice has helped SO MUCH, that I have gotten 3 landings done, for real!

Now I am practicing even more on the sim.

..You might be able to help with these 3 things:

A. I read somewhere, WAY BACK, that FSUIPC takes information AFTER the device is calibrated by the windows drivers.  This was posted in 2005 so I am curious if I still need to calibrate my devices through windows control panel which will make a difference in FSUIPC4.?

B. Slew?!  I want to position my plane on final at different airports across the USA to practice landings.  I have almost all controls except keyboard going through FSUIPC now, with GREAT SUCCESS. How do I easily set up the Slew on my FSUIPC4? Is there a better way?  Like Slew Assist?

C. (Not really a device thing) There is a simulated VASI at an airport I use in RL that does not have a VASI in RL.  Is there a quick edit somewhere I can change to NO VASI?

Thank you all!

zeddock

PS. I almost forgot... I tried to install LINDA to make configs easier, but it seemed to erase/replace all of my FSUIPC assignments to zero. Is there a way to have Linda pick up the configs from FSUIPS so I will not have to duplicate?

The practice has helped SO MUCH, that I have gotten 3 landings done, for real!

Congrats.  And keep us up to date on your progress.  Fun to follow.  Post in either Hangar Chat or in Flight School Hangar.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I agree fppilot, but since he asked about visuals, i simply responded to that part of his question.

rob

Rob,

Just for the record... you are right too!  My sight picture is probably the most important part of the sim practice. I plan to get the add-on in a while.  Waiting for work... and money... to pick up first.  Anyone out there have a used TrackIR they would like to sell?

Anyone out there have a used TrackIR they would like to sell?

LOL!  You won't get mine....  Actually, like most products, some are not a fit for all, so take a look in the Classified Ads/Want Ads/ Swap Meet forum here http://forum.avsim.net/forum/513-classified-ads-want-ads-swap-meet/ and you might find one.  If not post a Want Ad there.  Bet you will be successful.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

If you didn't get it already I would definitely buy the A2A 172 - it's way closer to the real thing in basically every way than the default FSX 172.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com