TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 //1024,2048

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120 //40,80
TextureMaxLoad=6 //3, 6, 9

Dave

[Display]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120 //40,80

TextureMaxLoad=6 //3, 6, 9

Someone should clear these up once and for all. I've never seen a clear explanation of these values and why should we set them/why should we leave them alone. In case we do set them, what values to put in there and why.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Yeah. I said 'clear explanation', not 100 people stating they know what they're talking about with no background at all.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

This topic has gone totally yyyyyaaaaAAAAWWWWNNNNNN.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I feel Nick has become irrelavent to the fs community only because of his poor attitude.

From day 1, the Bojote tweaks were bashed by Nick as stupid and pointless, even though Bojote found the highmemfix line that has saved fsx from being thrown out long ago.

Nick also doesn't believe in affinity mask and other tweaks, he has now changed his tune to be "as much default as possible" it seems only to try and discredit other tweakers like Word Not Allowed and Bojote, at least that is my take on everything.

so I don't really listen to anything Nick has to say or believe it because it's all part of his own selfish game.

'NickN' doesn't explain anything. He picks up on random data gathered from forums and threw it in his thread in a big messy pile.

I'd like to know if TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT actually LIMITS data sent to the GPU, or if it is some sort of a threshold, or whatever. I'd like to know if indeed the values need to be fixed (40, 70, 80, 120, 200, 400) or if they can be anything, what's the limits, so i can work with them.

I'd like to know if TextureMaxLoad only works with limited framerate for sure, if it changes anything about the data sent to the GPU (limits it or not, etc), so i can work with it as well.

I've been changing these values randomly and they make a difference, and sometimes even cause those famous temporary freezes on the GPU. If i knew exactly what i was doing (ie, what do these values ACTUALLY do), it would be much better than this annoying trial-and-error.

I disagree about Nick but anyway I don't know him personally and am not an expert, my view is only what I have seen over the years with Nick and his friends running Word Not Allowed and Bojote out of the fs community.

Nick says not to do t_b_m above 80, which doesn't make sense because you already are raising the bandwidth by accepting 4096 textures. So you must have to adjust other numbers to even it all out. That is why I have had good success with texturemaxload instead of tweaking t_b_m

TExtureMaxLoad definitely works for me, that is, textures do load faster particularly in VC

However, it doesn't solve the real problem...having to load the textures in the first place. I'll still have grey areas in the VC after returning from spot view; they just load faster.

Mark

TExtureMaxLoad definitely works for me, that is, textures do load faster particularly in VC

However, it doesn't solve the real problem...having to load the textures in the first place. I'll still have grey areas in the VC after returning from spot view; they just load faster.

Mark

RealAir in their new Duke have an option in the config to keep cockit textures in memory, this makes them always there no gray. When texturemaxload is 30 I rarely see this gray with other airplanes unless I am on the ground in heavy weather at an addon airport.

What a novel idea. Developers should include this option on all complex addons.

I'll try TML=30 at somepoint and see how it works. I don't think I ever went beyond TML=12.

Mark 

If you don't trust Nick (...)

I don't think the problem here is trusting Nick or not, it's just that the information is so sparse regarding this theme, even he can be wrong without knowing it. Nick is one of the guys around the FSX scene who dug deep into FSX, so i would trust him more than don't.