Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

Buying Isle of man and Guernsey fm Earth simulations.

Hello,

I plan to buy one or both of these airports from Earth simulations. I'm wondering how there are about FPS and also if compatible with ORBX. Thank you and best regards.

Real Deraps

I have just added Isle of Man to the Reviews system and would encourage anyone who owns it to post a review.

For you Tom. (the first video) Few words have been changed.

http://techno.ca.msn.com/chris-hadfield-dans-lespace-les-meilleures-vid%C3%A9os?page=0

Regards

Wished I spoke French! :lol:

I will take that as a big compliment (and if I shouldn't, please let me know so I can remove this message and not embarrass myself further. :Big Grin:

Regrettably, my experience with Earth Simulation software scenery is not good, and from Forum comments I have read, I am not alone to suffering CTD's after installation. I have Scilly Isles(OK), Alderney and Guernsey, the last mentioned a particular problem.

It does not seem to sit happily with either ORBX or UK2000 scenery but perhaps a more powerful computer might solve my problem. The installation procedure alone is a complete headache and I know of other flightsimmers that think likewise.

Sorry to be so negative, I particularly enjoy the Channel islands so I would be delighted to learn of more positive experiences.

Earthsimulations high def island sceneries have two issues

1) It messes with some common files just like Orbx and France VFR sceneries... Since Orbx has lot more addons, I had to sacrifice my Earth simulations and others.

2) Although those Islands are really well done, the airports are neglected...which for me is not acceptable since these are for flight sim. They go to such extent of doing high resolution cliffs and what not...and they can't  put a nice runway and taxiway textures? Seeing those default runway and taxiways there really bothers me..but then thats just me. :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I only own Scilly Isles, but it is heavy on FPS (in a good way). It is extremely true to life, and it does come at a cost, but there are stuff you can disable to get better fps. As for a side by side installation with ORBX scenery I would be hesitant, but they have a compatibility forum where you can seek advice. Here's one post for you: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/63656-earth-sim-isle-of-man-and-orbx/?hl=%2Bearth+%2Bsimulations

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Wished I spoke French! :lol:

I will take that as a big compliment (and if I shouldn't, please let me know so I can remove this message and not embarrass myself further. :Big Grin:

Hahaha! There must be an english version. If i find it I'll sent the link to you.

Thank you guys. I won't take the risk if it can cause problem  with ORBX . I already have enough CTD....

Real Deraps

Hahaha! There must be an english version. If i find it I'll sent the link to you.

Thank you guys. I won't take the risk if it can cause problem  with ORBX . I already have enough CTD....

I've found an english version Tom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyFYgeE32f0

Real Deraps

I have just added Isle of Man to the Reviews system and would encourage anyone who owns it to post a review.

Tom,

I have a comprehensive Avsim review of IOM somewhere in the publishing pipeline. Last I heard was almost published.

Ray

Fly_jets_125_zpsexevar1y.jpg

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall . Latest Avsim Gold Star Award reviews (click on link below)

. Realair v2 Piston Duke . . Flight1 B200 Super King Air . Flight1 GTN 650/750 Avionics

http://tinyurl.com/lzrh6k7. http://tinyurl.com/p44x9rf . http://tinyurl.com/kq9ufex

Tom,

I have a comprehensive Avsim review of IOM somewhere in the publishing pipeline. Last I heard was almost published.

Ray

Ray, understood. The reviews I am referring to our in our new Member's Review System found here: http://forum.avsim.net/reviews.

Hi Lmaire

While the comments are being said with all good intentions I'm sure. You're being misled by some of the answers given so far in this thread.

RE: compatibility.

The scenery is compatible with Orbx. To say that it isn't is simply not true. ES and Orbx have collaborated to ensure this is the case.

France VFR have refused to collaborate with either Orbx or ES to ensure the same. However it will depend on the order of installation. If you install France VFR first,  followed by the ES scenery everything will work together. But if you reverse that order and install ES scenery first followed by France VFR second then it will break the ES scenery. This is because our installer will append the existing autogen cfg files, while the other developers installers will replace them with their own version. So who's at fault?
The scenery replaces UK2000 versions of the airports entirely, you would never have both ES and UK2000 versions of a particular airport active at the same time, so that particular comment is just irrelevant.

Isle of Man ( EGNS ) does not use default textures Manny. See screenshots here.  Here's two recent comments we've had from those that should know.

I am an air traffic controller at Ronaldsway and love you IOM scenery, superb!

First thing – superb scenery for where I live and work, although we do keep the grass better trimmed around the taxiways and apron. Just having another look around Ronaldsway, think we could actually use this for airfield driver training!

Meant to answer your question on FPS

The sceneries are all relatively taxing if you use maximum settings.The detail included is way beyond an average scenery. To quote the manual 

When porting the scenery to FSX for home simulation use Earth Simulations have done everything in our power to optimize the performance for home system computing power. If you are running a state of the art system (I mean today's best, not last year's best) then you can expect to be able to fly The Isle of Man at its maximum settings and have an altogether pleasurable experience. However if you do not have a true state of the art system you will more likely than not need to make compromises. ES sceneries are slider controlled so that a balance between content and performance can be found just by trial and error tweaking of the sliders.

If you need to reduce sliders, we have made it so that the detail lost is least noticeable. ie: the smallest and least important aspects of the scenery will be removed first. A single drop from "extremely dense" to "Very dense" will make a very big difference in performance terms, but you'd be hard pushed to notice the difference in visuals.

I am sorry to disagree entirely with the above comments. I do not have experience of the I.O.M. software that E.S produces. However, as stated, I do have experience of the three sceneries mentioned. Firstly, UK2000 only makes FS2004 Guernsey scenery. However, in my opinion the fact is that ES Guernsey has a conflict with UK2000 FSX scenery. It has also been experienced by others as will be confirmed by comments on the support forum.

Moreover, it could not be disputed that installation from boxed copies must be quite the most tedious experience of all software scenery producers. (Unless of course you have your grannies D.O.B. readily to hand.......joke!)

Hi Crackfire

I honestly don't want to offend you, but your idea that the ES scenery should be compatible with a version of UK2000 makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You have either Uk2000, or you have Earth simulations versions of the airport. You can't possibly have both working at the same time because they are each depicting the same thing. The choice of which version you prefer to use is yours to make, but there is no possibility of them being used together...and if you think about it long enough you'll realize it's an obvious conclusion. 

We're very aware there are some that dislike our installer, and have commented in another recent thread about that,You'll see we've made a commitment to addressing those concerns.