Sign in to follow this  
Jeff H

The Best Freeware Aircraft for FS9

the SkySpirit2012 777 series is available

Thanks for pointing this out (Actually the POSKY archive I bookmarked out of one of your earlier posts).

Since we are linking, do you have a link to a full working model of the SS2012 VC edition?

Thanks for pointing this out (Actually the POSKY archive I bookmarked out of one of your earlier posts).

Since we are linking, do you have a link to a full working model of the SS2012 VC edition?

Negative, as the SkySpirit2012 777 series does not come with a virtual cockpit. If you have the FSX model, you could certainly merge it to a virtual cockpit of your choice if you have one, but this is not something they provide support for since it isn't something they have tested. If you really want the virtual cockpit for the 777 for FS9, then yes, you really wouldn't have a choice, but to use the Project Opensky 777. It really depends on if you want the new lighting system.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

SkySpirit2012 777 series does not come with a virtual cockpit.
OK thanks for confirming this.

It's not always clear with POSKY/SS what's included in the plethora of satnav/nosatnav/VC/WV/eyebrow/widget model variations which I always find bewildering.

Just to be clear: I listed the POSKY B777-300 as a favourite, for 2 reasons: the final version handles, flies, and looks beautiful; and, it has one of the best freeware Virtual Cockpits in the business.

y4r.png

OK thanks for confirming this.

It's not always clear with POSKY/SS what's included in the plethora of satnav/nosatnav/VC/WV/eyebrow/widget model variations which I always find bewildering.

Okay, so let's get that squared away, so we don't have any confusion.

None of the SkySpirit or TDS models come with virtual cockpits since they do not have a virtual cockpit designer to do so. As for Project Opensky, the only aircraft I can remember ever having one are the ERJs and the 777s. The 757s may have had them, but I don't remember off hand. I don't believe the CRJs had them with the exception of the old CRJ-200. The Project Opensky 737s did have a virtual cockpit at some point, but the designer of the virtual cockpit left Project Opensky at some point and requested that those files be removed.

As for the equipment available for the aircraft, the Satcom is there, it's just a matter of manipulating textures to figure out if you want them to show up or not. On the new TDS 737s, they have a new method of manipulating the antennas, so you can pick and choose which ones you want to show up, and they do provide documentation to make it easy to figure out how to do that.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

one of the best, fsx version is great as well

SECTIONF8 NORTH AMERICAN F-86E/F SABRE

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Virtavia (payware) regularly releases older models as freeware. In most cases they are listed as Alphasim products which was the company that Virtavia evolved from. Though most of them show their age, some are still excellent and one in particular is the Douglas B66 Destroyer/RB66... 

If you can find it, IRIS also released their excellent Pilatus PC9 as freeware...

Restaravia have several very nice French aircraft, including the Nord 3202 mentioned above, and I would add their Dassault Mystere IV to that list.

To David Maltby's BAC 111 I would definitely add his DH Comet 4 and Trident.

The Section8 F86 is hard to beat but if any military freeware aircraft can be hailed as the best ever, my vote would be for Ira's Dassault Mirage III. It is a tragedy that so few people are aware of it but try it and you will be astonished at the depth of systems modeling and a VC that is breathtaking. I cannot think of any payware military aircraft that surpasses it and only one that perhaps equals it - the VRS FA18... Yes, it really IS that good...

Cheers

Ian

Ian it is a little frame-hungry, maybe that's why it didn't have quite the take-up.

On the topic of French military jets, do not forget the OTHER Olsson offering, absolutely brilliant too:

Filename: f1v25.zip License: Freeware, limited distribution Added: 9th October 2005, 09:52:26 Downloads: 51488 Author: Kirk Olsson Size: 32214kb

I think what causes some FPS hit with Ira's Mirage is the moving map display. The Israeli version doesn't have it and I have found it very FPS friendly, though that may also be that the Israeli/mid east scenery is not as demanding as the Swiss region where the original "belongs." But as always, it's dependent on individual systems and what works well on one may not do so well on another.

Cheers mate

Ian

p.s. To add to the list - there is a Fletcher/NZ Aerospace/some-other-company-name* FU24 agricultural aircraft that is excellent though the author's name is escaping my aging brain at the moment...

p.s.s. I'm allowed to be disrespectful to them as I risked my puny life for them, ferrying single engine CT4's across thousands of miles of ocean/desert/jungle to Thailand back in the day. It's "payback time!" LOL (Okay, I didn't really do it for them - they just provided the aircraft and a wad of money. I did it because I wanted to!!!) :P

Ian you're thinking of Deane Baunton...

He did 2 versions of the Fletcher:

The Aerospace FU24

and the turbine-powered

Aerospace FU24-950

I only see the former here but both are over at flightsim.com

Also in my hangar is Deane's definitive Huey UH-1 (Iroquois in NZ, and still in use)

You drove CT4's to Thailand??

Respect... I shall kowtow every time your name appears in future :)

I was looking on my external hard drive and saw a few more good freeware planes to add to this topic.

Erick Cantu's EMB-120

Lars Roennig's Learjet 25D (lalj25.zip on Flightsim and lj25_sp1.zip on avsim)

a nice Socata TBM-700 made by a few people (TBM700_A.zip on Flightsim)

Bob Scott's Tin Mouse (Boeing 737-200)...

:)

Add Marcus Gama's panel to the EMB-120 and you've got a nice little ride...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Premier Aircraft Design's Turbo Beaver, Twotter, and CTSW.

Sikorsky S-39, S-39, S-42, and JRS by George Diemer.

Lynn and Bill Lyons free Goose and Waco.

Overland/SMS MD-11.

Former payware CLS Piper Arrow.

C-26 by Nick Pike is pretty cool. (C26.zip)

Shakey Jake C-195 by Joe Binka.

A1-A Skyraider modded for FS9 by R. Spaan.

Northrop P-61B Black Widow by Kazunori Ito.

Socata TBM700 by TBM700 Team.

There is also a Dash 7 produced by Milton Shupe which is great if you want a well modelled STOL airliner.

Bill