Sign in to follow this  
Sebastiaan

PMDG 777/A2A C172/Majestic Q400 ?

Hi guys,

The question is simple: What do you think is the best add on aircraft that came out last year?
The 777 of PMDG? The A2A C172? Or the Majestic Q400?

Also, please say why you chose it.

Thanks!

Majestic Q400.

Great looks, flIes great, FPS friendly, best turboprop rendition so far in FS by far, great systems simulation, keeps you busy in flight, sound pack is awesome, great team/support behind the product... That's about it for me.

Now eagerly waiting for the Pro version.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

As I already have default, Carenado and Flight 1 Cessna 172s, I decided not to buy the A2A version although by all accounts it is superb. I do however have the Majestic Q400 and PMDG 777 but I find it extremely difficult to chose between the two in terms of quality as both are clearly excellent products. I have spent a lot more time flying the Q400 simply because it has been available for longer than the 777and it has got to be the most realistically modelled turboprop airliner out there for FSX in every way - systems, flight dynamics, internal and external modelling, sounds, etc. Although I have made a few fairly short flights exploring the PMDG 777, I have not really had the time to get into this aircraft in any depth yet but I am sure it will be at least on par with the Q400. For the moment however, simply on the basis of my deeper knowledge of the aircraft, my vote would have to go with the Q400 (but that is perhaps an unbalanced judgement because, as I have said, I do not have the 172 and haven't spent enough time on the 777 yet!). However I would suggest that all three product are at the top of the class within their individual categories - general aviation, turboprop and jet airliner.

Bill

Majestic Q400, I like how its flight model is done outside FSX & also despite all the detail it's still very FPS friendly. It's a very unique aircraft to fly. 

I own the other two also and I find them very good too. 

These are totally different aircraft no way to compare them. So it depends what kind of flights you like.

Kimo

All of them as imo there all different types of aircraft so imo it wrong to say which one is best. It will come down to what type of flying you like to do.

A2A 172 is stunning if you like flying around at walking pace, just joking.

Q400 is by far the best tubo prop

The 777 is all I fly because I simple love it to bit's.

Is the 777 the best? no, I just love the size and the challenge it bring to take it from A to B as close to perfect as I can me.

After a few years flying low and slow, I feel no challenge landing a 172 no matter how well it's done.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

They are very different aircraft, aimed at rather different simmers, so I am not convinced any comparison makes sense.

I do not own the Cessna, but I do have both the PMDG 777 and the MJC Q400, as well as a few more of the best FSX addon aircraft.

But, OK,... for me, Q400 is the best MFS addon aircraft ever. The only time I felt similar fascination and joy was with LH MD-82 in my FS9 times.

I am normally a (jet!) tube flyer in MFS, but this bird not only made me switch from FS9 to FSX (yes, no other addon was tempting enough!), but also got me completely hooked. I have been using it for 9 months now and never ever got even slightly bored. To be honest I have never learned so much from operating an addon aircraft, and there are still so many things to learn. There are fantastic tutorial videos on YouTube, including some made by a RW Q400 captain.

Additionally this addon has some ground-breaking features, like its flight characteristics built outside of the FS limits.

Because of that (among other optimisations) it is as light on performance (for me) as a default aircraft would be.

It also suits the free time amount I currently have. Flying over 2 hours is seldom possible for me (and I seem to hate time compression, even though I tried it with the 777).

The 777 is a strange case for me. I really wanted to get myself love it. I bought it, despite its high (for me) price, did a few flights but... no love.

No misunderstanding here: it is a top notch addon, like always from PMDG, but just appears not to be my type of aircraft. I enjoy flying NGX much more.

I do not regret spending this money, however, as I always do my best to support high quality developers (I bought from PMDG a few times already).

So, for me the time spent with MJC Q400, is an extremely exciting time. Between flying AXE and NGX (yes I like swapping aircraft from time to time), I am always thrilled to get back to its marvelous flightdeck (an extremely detailed, well designed, well performing and beautiful virtual cockpit by the way). I usually fly some RW routes of Austrian, Air Berlin, EuroLOT and Wideroe. Lots of fun and great destinations with awesome scenery and addon airports to enjoy (now also with ASN I have bought just recently).

Additionally, Bryan started working on his FS2Crew for MJC Q400 which, for me, is a thing to look forward to.

Neither! Each one has been well received, supported, and developed. Each one fits a particular niche of the market and each of these aircraft have broken ground in some area.

I'd echo the apple to oranges comparison between these three planes.  I can't judge the 777, since it's not my cup o' tea and therefore was not purchased, but the A2A 172 and the MJC Q400 are worlds apart for sure in type.

That said, they each bring a level of excellence and polish to their respective areas of simulation that is extremely appreciated.

I suppose one could give a slight nod to the Q400, since it has to require a large amount of systems replication compared to a 172; but I don't love either of them less than the other. :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The Q400 frustrates the crap out of me a lot.  The 777 never does.  It is routine and procedural.  Every flight with the Q400 is unique and provides new challenges.  The 172 is a 172.

My vote goes to the Q400.

I love the Q400.

For the first time in over 17 years flying Flight Simulators, I have had to assign controller buttons to Rudder Trim, because you are using Rudder Trim literally all the time in this bird, from around 1/5th full travel right at takeoff (both engines running) and reducing it to centre in stages every time you accelerate, or reduce prop RPM or torque.

The FMC is very different from anything Airbus, Boeing, or McD and even Embraier. The bird is a true handful at times for single pilot. And the amount of lift the wing loses on a power reduction or speed reduction is sometimes still surprising especially on approach when reducing speed on final. To have the attitude not move, but the rate of descent suddenly increase by hundreds of ft per minute from a simple 15 knot reduction is another challenge.

Throttle and Attitude and Rudder... effects of controls in a big big way.

q-400 for me. because there has been already a very good airliner from pmdg 737 for years. but we didin't have any professional tuboprop untill q400 came out. it is very detailed and quality

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

I have all three and it's difficult to rank them. I've used the c172 the most so I'd probably say that. The 777 is technically phenomenal though, but (whisper it) I find a bit boring after a while. The q400 I've not really used very much at all, but plan to over the next few months.

Re fs2crew, does no one else think it takes quite a lot of fun out of it? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great product in terms of immersion (I have the ngx version) but after a while using it i realised it's really just automating a lot of things I liked doing and reduces my flight activity to barely anything. I don't use it on the ngx anymore just so I have more things to do. It would be good if you could have an option to be the FO on a flight rather than the captain