Sign in to follow this  
Vox-tm

Does VoxATC-X Really Respond To What I Say?

Not having used VoxATC-X 5.63 for a long time, I'm surprised at how it doesn't seem to respond correctly to the things I say.

To test this, I'm running the default tutorial VFR flight from Kansas International - Eppley. If instead of reading what I'm supposed to say I just mumble any old mumbled sound into my microphone, then the first response I receive back is "Last aircraft say again?" - which seems a completely natural and proper response. However, if for a second time I ignore what I'm supposed to say and just mumble some more unintelligle sounds into my microphone, then the dialogue is accepted as correct and the prompt moves onto the next stage.

Is this because the Microsoft Voice Recognition hasn't yet learned enough to operate correctly? I would have thought that the opposite would be true, i.e. the more incorrect voice response I make the more "Last aircraft say again?" responses I should get until it learns to distinguish the correct words or not.

Thanks for the reply. So, if I understand this, VoxATC-X/Microsoft Speech Recognition will try to understand what I say and the words I use, and if they do successfully then the prompt will move on the first time. However, if I just mumble something unintelligible, then based on the setting in the .XML file you discussed in your thread I should get that number of "Last aircraft say again?" responses until it automatically moves on, e.g. 5?

That being so, I'll try this out.

Yes otherwise you could get stuck in an endless loop which is very undesirable.

ZORAN

I haven't used VOXATC in a couple of years, but I had the same issue as well. After 2 or 3 attempts to repeat my call I would simply press the spacebar and ATC would acknowledge my transmission. Otherwise I really enjoyed the enhancement to sim flying.

Keith Guillory

Thanks for the reply. So, if I understand this, VoxATC-X/Microsoft Speech Recognition will try to understand what I say and the words I use, and if they do successfully then the prompt will move on the first time. However, if I just mumble something unintelligible, then based on the setting in the .XML file you discussed in your thread I should get that number of "Last aircraft say again?" responses until it automatically moves on, e.g. 5?

That being so, I'll try this out.

Confirmed.

Pls. note, we're discussing two issues at the same time:

1. Make Vox listen closely to your reply more than once.
  2. Train the MS speech recognition to transfer exactly what you're saying to the Vox controllers.

So, intentionally wrong readbacks can be cured by the Vox "counter" mentioned in the other thread.

Speech recognition not recognizing what you're saying has to be handled by the MS speech recognition training (which will improve over time all by itself, since it's a "self-teaching" device).

Sometimes I don't get it... If you guys do not want VoxATC to cheat when you intentionally mumble all the time or press the space bar, then why do you do it?

It's a bit like "Man I know how to use that hammer you sold me last week, but when I hit my thumb instead it hurts like hell! Must be a defect in your product!"

Just my 2 cents, but just sayin'...

I'd guess it's about misunderstanding a clearance and reading it back incorrectly, but not intentionally:

If you try to read it back correctly on your 2nd attempt, Vox will always proceed, no matter whether your 2nd try was correct or not. So you can't find out whether you got the clearance right with your 2nd attempt.

Increasing the counter results in Vox checking your 2nd readback as well, so you can be sure you're actually complying to the clearance.

If it does not respond to what you say it could be one of many things or a combanation of many.

Try and do the following;

1. Train speech rec in a clear, persise manor.

2. Use the best quality microphone/headset you can afford and use a headset.

3. Ensuse your mic is set up correctly and not too powerful (mic boost distorting things) and dont 'eat' the mic, ive found its better to have it 25-35mm away from my mouth.

4. Make sure there is as little ambiant noise as possible (even fsx running on speakers can affect the speach rec).

5. When you press your PTT button or space bar wait half a second before speaking and releace it half a second after you have stopped.

6. Ensure you say the correct phrase VOXATC is expecting you to say.

7. When you speak make sure you speak clearly and pronounce words correctly (ive found you have to over pernounce words clearley for the system to respond correctly). Things like QNH, QFE, taxi routings & runway numbers you have to speek very clear. Over emphasise Q N H / QFE.

8. Make sure you run the indexer every time you add an aircraft or scenery (i run it twice to be doubly sure).

I get a 95% accuracy and higher if i speak slow and clear. I work in ATC and we tend to speak quick ... And say QNH/QFE VERY quick, in VOXATC if you say it quick as you would in real life the system thinks Q - N - H is QNH one single word rather than three letters (or words as Q N H will be broken down as three words by the system.

If English is not your first mother tounge then try and speak even more clearley. Ive teained it to my voice and when correctly set up it has responded to everone who has used it other than me.

Its a great product and is the closest to real life ATC you can get right mow.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the further replies and for the suggestion to increase the number of times VoxATC-X prompts for 'Last aircraft say again?'. At a setting of 5 or more, it's much better and far more usable now.

@agood... I think you mis-understood, I was not levelling a criticism at the product, but rather looking for a way to enhance the way it works. All I was hoping for was for the product to respond appropriately to a 'mis-heard' or garbled response, even affer a couple of attempts, rather than just automatically move on. Obviously sometimes the PTT button gets pushed by accident or a readback is mis-spoken and some greater flexibility i felt was needed. With the .XML setting provided in the linked thread i now feel that it's just fine.

@Vox-tm: ok, then I really misread, apologize for that.

I guess VoxATC will be my purchase of the month in February, already looking forward to it!