Sign in to follow this  
lawinge2

regedit for windows 7 microstutters

Thought I should post this in general forum also.

I came across this fix for windows 7 microstutters because of parking of cores. prepar 3d 1.4 is now running so smooth that 30 fps looks as good as 60. It's amazing. I''ve lived with microstutters for years and now they're gone. This is a quick and easy fix.

I'm running p3d in windowed mode because I hate atc in fullscreen, opusfsx cameras, nvidia inspector- triple buffering, vsync tear control-adaptive, vsync-3d app control. Also using the ForceWindowedVSync=1. 

This regedit seems to solve microstutters and increase stability and fps in general. definitely worth a try!

i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz, gtx 480 2gb

http://ultimatecompu....php?f=7&t=3644

eric

This tweak most likely doesnt work, and it certainly doesnt work the way it is mentioned on the other site.

The reason that it "works" is when you make a change to the powermanagement in win7 for that session powermanagement will be turned off.

The reason why this tweak doesnt work is.

Nr1 reason, the description for what you are changing is this.

"Specify the minimum number of unparked cores/packages allowed (in percentage)."

Parked cores are slow, unparked cores are fast.

So you would rather put the value at 100% than at 0% to have as many unparked as possible. (the website thus technically advises you to park more cores   :lol:  )

2nd reason

This value ("ValueMax") only changes the amount of choices you have in the powermanagement control panel.

It doesnt actually set the value of "unparked cores/packages allowed", only how many values you can choose.

The real set value is stored elsewhere in registry.

These settings are invisible in your powermanagement control panel.

You can make them visible by changing the "attributes" value to "0" for all subkeys under.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings

After doing this you can set the right/wrong values in the powercpl.

(Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and then click on "Change Advanced Power Settings")

3rd reason

It is pretty unlikely your processor actually even supports setting the coreparking value.

Just look in the "Event-Viewer -> Windows-Logs-> System" and then look for "Kernel-Prossesor-Power" "EventID-26" .

There you can see the powermanagement capabilities of your processor.

More is described in this docx file. (can be opened with wordpad)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/0/2/3027D574-C433-412A-A8B6-5E0A75D5B237/ProcPowerMgmtWin7.docx

Hi,

I went to the site, did what it said, and it found nothing. But, I'm using P3d v2.

Larry

I don't understand the technical stuff posted by Sebastian, but I tried it and I still have a occasional micro stutter.  Not sure if there is any improvement.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

After the very complete storeytrain explanation of why the tweak doesn't work I will have to to do some more testing and report back. Whatever was happening after the tweak p3d ran better than it ever has through several flights. I'll try some more.

Eric.

i seem to have attracted some copyright warnings from avsim but I was trying to help by sharing something that I thought helped with the sim. If I stepped on any toes I apologize. I won't post anymore about this topic.

i didn't realize sharing information could be such a problem

eric

So the conclusion here is that it's just snake oil? :lol:. Now when I come to think about it I heard about this before maybe a year ago in a thread in this forum, and it didn't work that time either(think I even tried it myself without any results If I remember correct :P ).

I made this change long ago unrelated to any flight sim issues and I view it as snake oil.

i seem to have attracted some copyright warnings from avsim but I was trying to help by sharing something that I thought helped with the sim. If I stepped on any toes I apologize. I won't post anymore about this topic.

i didn't realize sharing information could be such a problem

eric

Since when is posting a link copyright infringement?

Please report how you go with further testing.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Nr1 reason, the description for what you are changing is this.

"Specify the minimum number of unparked cores/packages allowed (in percentage)."

Parked cores are slow, unparked cores are fast.

So you would rather put the value at 100% than at 0% to have as many unparked as possible. (the website thus technically advises you to park more cores

Despite MS's verbal description I can confirm that setting a value of "0" does turn off core parking

on my Win 7 system as verified by Resource Manager.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

According to Microsoft  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg566941.aspx

Core Parking also helps improve system performance and responsiveness on systems that have processors that include Intel Hyper-Threading Technology, 

Microsoft also warns against changing these parameters without consultation with the system processor vendor.

I opened the doc, started to read, my eyes glazed over, I do not want to become a computer programmer.

All that technical stuff...I wonder if someone has the knowledge that they can tell us, does changing the parameters provide opportunity to enhance FSX stability, efficiency?  Does changing the parameters "damage anything"?

So does having it set at 100% mean that core parking is enabled to kick and as a result you will get a higher performance and better responsiveness (whatever that means).

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3