Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Windows 9 around the corner

Spring of 2015 we should see the new OS. The official announcement should be this April. I'm glad most didn't bother with the failed effort Ballmer tried to push. I will say 8.1 was an improvement and it was a great effort for a tablet solution. It just needed to be more configurable for different types is uses and not have shoved Metro down our throats. They even put Metro on the server OS which made no since. We need Bill back if nothing more than to clean house in the company. Steve Ballmer left it a mess judging by this and other articles.

http://www.informaIek.com/software/operating-systems/windows-9-what-we-know/d/d-id/1113422

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Windows 7 is my last Microsoft product, so all I can say is good luck! I'm an Apple boy now and only have a Windows PC to run P3D since Apple doesn't have a powerful enough setup for flight sims.

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Windows 7 is my last Microsoft product, so all I can say is good luck! I'm an Apple boy now and only have a Windows PC to run P3D since Apple doesn't have a powerful enough setup for flight sims.

Me as well. I will keep one machine running Windows 7 and FSX/P3D, other then that we have already purchased Apple Computers. People will make fun of my I7 Win7 machine eventually as a dying relic.   :lol:

After 20+ years of keeping up with the Joneses and trying to be the latest in MSFS, Windows 7 was where it all came to an end. I was originally an Apple customer when I had an Apple IIe running Flight Simulator 2 and only went to Microsoft because they took on MSFS. Now after all that time I am once again an Apple customer. End of a long legacy with Microsoft and back to Apple for my day to day computing once again, never thought I would see the day when that would happen.

• Upvote 2

Matthew Kane

I just don't understand... They were doing so well with how Windows and Windows Server were going. Why did they have to do such radical changes to the OS, and also their business?

You're REQUIRED to have a Microsoft account in order to download/upgrade to Windows 8.1... That is ridiculous! In which Windows version EVER from pre-Windows 8 did you EVER need an account to download updates?

I just don't understand... They were doing so well with how Windows and Windows Server were going. Why did they have to do such radical changes to the OS, and also their business?

You're REQUIRED to have a Microsoft account in order to download/upgrade to Windows 8.1... That is ridiculous! In which Windows version EVER from pre-Windows 8 did you EVER need an account to download updates?

Well, in fairness, that's not entirely dissimilar to OSX

MS have a lot to do to win back users. I don't mind W8.1 personally. Quicker than 7 on same spec machine if nothing else, lol.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Louise

London, UK

Me as well. I will keep one machine running Windows 7 and FSX/P3D, other then that we have already purchased Apple Computers. People will make fun of my I7 Win7 machine eventually as a dying relic.   :lol:

After 20+ years of keeping up with the Joneses and trying to be the latest in MSFS, Windows 7 was where it all came to an end. I was originally an Apple customer when I had an Apple IIe running Flight Simulator 2 and only went to Microsoft because they took on MSFS. Now after all that time I am once again an Apple customer. End of a long legacy with Microsoft and back to Apple for my day to day computing once again, never thought I would see the day when that would happen.

I started with the Amiga, and it's Workbench was a great OS for it's time.

I held on to Windows XP forever, and only migrated to Windows 7 after fooling myself into thinking that Microsoft Flight would be the next great thing. Luckily it works well with Prepar3D so getting a new PC and OS wasn't a complete waste.

I just don't see any reason investing into the PC platform and/or Microsoft products as they now have stopped developing flight simulators, and more importantly, seems to do work hard to destroy the PC as a gaming platform. I have never owned a console in my life as the types of games I would play are typical strategy games that aren't suited for consoles. Microsoft even made on of the best stragey games of all time (Age of Empires).

Instead of building on the strenght and position that Microsoft has in the PC market and contribute to making it a plaform for the future they venture into the most competitive markets of all (after ridiculing them for years in advance): Tablets, smartphones and consoles. In the PC market they rule almost alone, but in the other segments they are playing catch up to well established products and systems.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Here is a shot of my Win7 desktop....FSX on the upper right corner and other games on the lower right corner. I am still very happy with Win7 and Steam is great as well, there is very little else installed on this machine as it is for FSX/P3D and a few Steam Games:

desktop.jpg

I have never owned a console in my life as the types of games I would play are typical strategy games that aren't suited for consoles. Microsoft even made on of the best stragey games of all time (Age of Empires).

I would never get a console either and yes I am a big fan of Strategy as well. I really liked the Age of Empires as well as Rise of Nations. Good thing for the Total War series that keeps me happy today

Matthew Kane

And here's my Windows 8. I see nothing bad about it. Quite useful, really. And my desktop only has a recycle bin, as I hate a cluttered desktop.

start.png

For the record, you're not required to have a Microsoft account to set up Windows 8, though it is a nice thing to have. Using the account syncs your OS's theme from your previous 8 install, if you had to reinstall (this doesn't apply to older versions of Windows, though).

Brandon Filer

Here's my Windows 8.1 desktop - it seems to get the job done. 

Screenshot%202014-01-20%2014.55.07.png

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer
TFDi Design (Invernyx) | Website

Don't fix what is not broken :blink: Why would anyone keep buying this stuff if they are just going to change it every few years. Windows 9 then 10 then 11 then 12 then whatever :blink: LOL

Here's my Windows 8.1 desktop - it seems to get the job done. 

And here's my Windows 8. I see nothing bad about it. Quite useful, really. And my desktop only has a recycle bin, as I hate a cluttered desktop.

Nice! What tablet do you guys have?  :Just Kidding:

Is that 8.1? Shouldn't there be a start button?

And Collin: Oh god Uplay.  :Nail Biting:

Here is a shot of my Win7 desktop....FSX on the upper right corner and other games on the lower right corner. I am still very happy with Win7 and Steam is great as well, there is very little else installed on this machine as it is for FSX/P3D and a few Steam Games:

I like your valley-looking way of organizing your shortcuts. 

I would never get a console either and yes I am a big fan of Strategy as well. I really liked the Age of Empires as well as Rise of Nations. Good thing for the Total War series that keeps me happy today

MS is actually still developing AOE 2 HD version. They just came out with an expansion at the end of last year. Maybe this is a sign they still have some interest.

• Upvote 2

Nice! What tablet do you guys have?  :Just Kidding:

And Collin: Oh god Uplay.  :Nail Biting:

I like your valley-looking way of organizing your shortcuts. 

MS is actually still developing AOE 2 HD version. They just came out with an expansion at the end of last year. Maybe this is a sign they still have some interest.

Oh, Uplay isn't TOO bad - Origin is what kills me. It's no tablet though, it's a rather powerful desktop.

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer
TFDi Design (Invernyx) | Website

There is. There's just no point in showing a button in the menu itself. And in 8.0, you could still get to a start menu of course, it was just a click spot, not a visual button.

• Upvote 1

Brandon Filer

Even the theme song for AOE puts a smile on my face  :lol:

Matthew Kane