Sign in to follow this  
tull

Goodbye FSX........Hello X Plane

That users leave FSX is eventually bound to happen because sometime or another we need to get out of the "dark ages", some gets Prepared and others choose X-Plane. Personally I'm prepared:p. Good luck with your new SIM. RIP FSX

I've had regular "that's it, I'm now 100% using xplane" moments throughout the last year or so. It lasts a bit and then I gradually use fsx more again - for me it's mainly the ATC that pushes me back again. Xplane could well be the long term future (at some point a 64 bit app is going to have to be), but at the moment it's too much of a bare bones tech demo. I've gone through a similar phase with p3d2 recently too!

As others have said though, just leave them all on the computer because they all have strong points.

Guest Mik75

But what an appealing tech demo it is! It gives me an immersion that FSX with all its addons couldn't give me. The feeling of being in the cockpit is priceless.

You posted this in the wrong forum.

I expect the XP forum users would want to hear this (unless you are trolling, of course?) :wink:

There's an endless(ly) boring thread about this in the PMDG (?) forum at the moment..go and tell them..they'll love it.

People in the FSX forum are likely a bit tired of being told that folks are junking FSX. Good luck to you, but..........whatever!

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Guest Mik75

As an user of MSFS for years and someone who spent thousands of EUR´s in add ons and hardware, I am entitled to have an opinion, right? ;-)

FSX is still installed on its own SSD, and it will stay there. Maybe it is the attraction of all the new things, of XPX´s stability and fluidity, of all the beautiful freeware that makes the sim even better, but right now, firing up FSX makes me want to close it again!  

Two things that hold me back, the lack of good ATC and the boneheaded decision by Austin regarding the Ai system.

Once Xplane has those two things I will look again.

I will say this sometimes these threads wake up 3PD to start looking at other options, look at how many bye bye PMDG posts there were when they announced no P3D support, but they have since changed their hardline stance. The FSX forum has the recognition and user base here at AVSIM so I imagine the OP was looking to reach the masses. I personally run them both with a 70XP/30FSX split now. I'm just happy that we finally have two great platforms  to choose from as I just hated XP9.

Glad you feel better letting us know, I was worried about you :-)

I feel better letting everyone i'm a Broncos fan and their beating the Patriots :-)

OFT

Hope they can hold off the Seahawks!

Sc*ew better flight physics in X-Plane, when it don't have most cruicial ingredient - IMMERSION

It doesn't have better flight physics yet. Perhaps someday. I suppose immersion depends on the particular aircraft, scenery, etc. I like a lot about the A2A Stratocruiser too (FSX, P3D?), but don't own it yet. It's planned for the future, along with the Carenado King Air for X-Plane. No reason just to dump em, unless unless you think sacrifice is justified for some principled sake. I don't.

Two things that hold me back, the lack of good ATC and the boneheaded decision by Austin regarding the Ai system.

Once Xplane has those two things I will look again.

I will come back if they fix the drawing scenery issue. It's ridiculous that if you climb above 10K you see 70-80 kilometers of scenery and then flat blurry textures. Looks funny especially in the mountains such as Alps. You can see a couple of peaks and nothing else. They appear as you close in. This thing disqualifies X-Plane as a jet simulator. Looks great only from low altitude. Shame....

I will come back if they fix the drawing scenery issue. It's ridiculous that if you climb above 10K you see 70-80 kilometers of scenery and then flat blurry textures. Looks funny especially in the mountains such as Alps. You can see a couple of peaks and nothing else. They appear as you close in. This thing disqualifies X-Plane as a jet simulator. Looks great only from low altitude. Shame....

Rumoured to be fixed in the next patch. Then all they need to do is make supersonic speeds possible...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Although I mostly use X-Plane now, I still have both installed. There are many things that one sim does better than the other. For VFR and simple IFR flights below 10,000 feet, X-Plane can't be beaten, and at the moment it's here where I spend most of simming time.

For tubeliners, nothing on X-Plane (as of yet IMO) comes close to what is available on FSX. I find the VC inside X-Plane for complex aircraft too difficult to use, e.g. I've given up using the Saab , as I find it impossible to tune the radios or adjust the autopilot without pausing the simulator and it's incredibly frustrating, especially when it is so easy and natural in FSX. Also, the dials/knobs inside in the Saab don't bind to the same key events as the standard X-Plane ones (So various plugins and iPad apps don't work) and I'm not going to continually redo my key/joystick binds everytime I switch planes. At the moment though, I'm quite impressed with Carenado's C90, the cockpit and manipulators work quite well, and I'm able to do approaches/departures without pausing at every waypoint :-)

I still have ELITE v8.6 ( still my preferred GA IFR simulator ) , and DCS World ( just for the P51D, UH-1H and Mi-8 ) installed in my Windowze Machine!

X-Plane 10 is now LINUX for me ** only **

The upcoming best 747 simulator EVER!!! ( Aerowinx PSX ), being Java, will most certainly run in any platform :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...