Sign in to follow this  
termtek

custom runway texture for specific airport ?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on FS Scenery Development, I am wondering how custom taiway and runway textures of paid add-ons such as Aerosoft, FSDT won't be replaced by REX textures or other texture enhancement?

If I would like to customize runway texture for specific airport, can somebody tell me how to do it? or any tutorital or keywords I should search for ?

(PS: I would like to customize RCTP runway, because it is really dirty in real world !! :P )

Custom runways and taxiways for payware airports are done as specialty modeled objects, usually ground polys with custom textures. As such any global texture replacement for the default textures will not affect them. If you want to change them for personal use you would need to find the texture located in the texture folder of the payware scenery and edit it in an image editing program such as photoshop.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Custom runways and taxiways for payware airports are done as specialty modeled objects, usually ground polys with custom textures. As such any global texture replacement for the default textures will not affect them. If you want to change them for personal use you would need to find the texture located in the texture folder of the payware scenery and edit it in an image editing program such as photoshop.

Hello Mike, Thanks a lot for your response.

As you mention that the custom runway is created by ground polys with custom textures, could you let me know how to do it?

I'm keen to learn it !  :lol: 

Thanks a lot,

Frank

Basically you create them in Gmax (3DSMax, blender or Sketchup) and texture them there. Then save out as an .MDL and load that into ModelconverterX from FSDeveloper.com and convert to a groud poly, those are the very basics. You will need to know how to model in one of those programs and then need to read up on how to use ModelconverterX. Go to FSDeveloper and search for more info, it's all there.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Here is the best tutorial ever on creating FS9 style ground polys (they have the advantage of not flickering which FSX models can do)

http://iblueyonder.com/ground-poly-tutorial/

Get a copy of ModelConverterX from FSDeveloper.com and that takes care of the nasty tweaking you need to do otherwise.

www.antsairplanes.com

As Mike2060 says.  ADE 1.60 and later are able to create custom ground polys and lines either using the shipped textures or using textures of your own.  This function was developed by Don Grovestine and effectively replaces the need to use GMax or similar.

As Mike2060 says.  ADE 1.60 and later are able to create custom ground polys and lines either using the shipped textures or using textures of your own.  This function was developed by Don Grovestine and effectively replaces the need to use GMax or similar.

Thanks a lot, I'm downloading ADE 1.60 now !

cheers mate !