Sign in to follow this  
Flybefan

FSX Refusing to start - "A Fatal Error has occured"

Hi,

OK, I have had FSX for some time now and it worked fine. Haven't had time though, so hadn't played it in a few months. Few days ago, I purchased a couple of the JustFlight F-Lite add-ons in a sale, and installed them. Both the first F-Lite planes I have bought, either. So I installed them, and went to start up the game, (This was the first startup since I last played few months back), and I got the initial FSX loading screen, but thats it it crashes everytime, with the message "A Fatal error has occurred"

Have gone into the events log, and it has this:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0561a834
Faulting process id: 0xbdc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf16c5fbe00a3b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 45ad86eb-82b9-11e3-b4ed-f46d04ee0457

Any ideas what could be the issue/how to fix it?

Thanks

I would rename or delete your fsx.cfg and let the config rebuild.  See if that fixes the problem.  Do that is almost like do a complete reinstall of FSX but the only thing that changed was the fsx.cfg.

If that doesn't work, then, since you have Acceleration installed, how about going into the Add/Remove programs and uninstall FSX.  All it will do is uninstall Acceleration and you'll see FSX still in the Add/Remove Programs.  I would then run FSX one time.  Reinstall Acceleration. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

OK thanks

Where is fsx.cfg? Had a look, and had the Explorer search for it, but the closet so far I have found is FSX_display.cfg, FSX_Elumens.cfg, FSX_scenery.cfg and FSX_terrain.cfg

Where is fsx.cfg? Had a look, and had the Explorer search for it, but the closet so far I have found is FSX_display.cfg, FSX_Elumens.cfg, FSX_scenery.cfg and FSX_terrain.cfg

Try this: C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

By default the cfg file is a "hidden" file, so be sure to have the search hidden files and folders option selected - http://www.wikihow.com/Unhide-Folders-in-Windows-7.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

OK, so deleting the cfg file, didn't help, so I uninstalled Acceleration, and it worked

Reinstalling acceleration however brings this issue back...

Guessing one of my recent purchases isn;t Acceleration compatible maybe

OK, so deleting the cfg file, didn't help, so I uninstalled Acceleration, and it worked

Did you delete the correct fsx.cfg?  A lot of people are seeing two fsx (without an extension showing) and deleting the fsx.txt file instead which of course will do nothing to your fsx.cfg.  I just want to make sure you did not install Acceleration over SP2 a while back.  The coding in SP2 will corrupt Acceleration.  I do not know of any FSX addon that is not Acceleration compatible.  Even some old stuff like FSCoPilot, FSInn, etc. works.  But this is why I suggested you disable all your addon scenery in your Scenery Library and disable the modules in the dll.xml (except for the top one).  This will tell you quickly whether those products are causing your problem.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I had FSX.cfg, and FSX.cfg.txt, and I renamed theFSX.fg into FSXOrig.CFG, and I can see a new FSX.cfg has been made.

Looking at the dll.xml, the addonds I have shown are:

Object Placement Tool - <Disabled>True</Disabled>

Traffic Toolbox - <Disabled>True</Disabled>

Visual Effects Tool - <Disabled>True</Disabled>

Just Flight TCAS Module - <Disabled>False</Disabled>

FSUIPC 4 - <Disabled>False</Disabled>

SquawkBox Transponder - <Disabled>False</Disabled>

SquawkBox AI Control - <Disabled>False</Disabled>

SquawkBox Internal Version - <Disabled>False</Disabled>

MD-81/82 Module Activation - <Disabled>False</Disabled>

The last one being related to one of the purchases

I assume to make these disabled I would have to get the code into a text editor and change false to true

I assume to make these disabled I would have to get the code into a text editor and change false to true

This is correct.  You just right click it and select Open With and it will give you several options.  Notepad is what you want.  I downloaded a freeware Notepad C++ which is much, much better for editing XML files. 

Good luck!  (actually it is very simple to do).

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

OK disabled them all (bar the top one) and still crashing... :/

And the addon scenery in the Scenery Library?

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Ahh - not the add-on scenery, where is the scenery library located?

When you start up FSX, click on Settings and then look for Scenery Library on the right side.  Just uncheck all addon scenery to disable it.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Ahh - I can;t get that far, it crashes at this screen:

Do you have any FSDT airport scenery installed?  If so, download and run the latest Addon Manager.

If you cannot get FSX to even start up then you have a problem with your Microsoft Visuals or Microsoft.net programs.  Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 is required to start up FSX.  This program is installed when you install FSX and Acceleration.  See pages 4 and 5 of the AVSIM CTD Guide. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

OK, So I looked through the guide, and went to the visual Famework packages, and downloaded the latest Visual 2008/Visual 2010 versions, as recommended, however the 2008 won't install:

A compatible version of Visual Studio 2008 was not detected on the system. This update is designed for only the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (ENU) product family, and is not compatible with any Express editions.

And 2010:

A compatible version of Visual Studio 2010 was not detected on the system. This update is designed for only the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.

This is what the Programmes and features says I have:

http://tinypic.com/r/125ieio/8