Sign in to follow this  
Flybefan

FSX Refusing to start - "A Fatal Error has occured"

OK, So I looked through the guide, and went to the visual Famework packages, and downloaded the latest Visual 2008/Visual 2010 versions, as recommended, however the 2008 won't install:

You have successfully hit me with things that I have not run into before.  In fact, I have never seen these problems anywhere on the Internet!  I really do not know how to advise you to fix this problem but will try.  I thought AVSIM did a great job in explaining the Microsoft.net repair tool on page 5 of the AVSIM CTD Guide but....

• Microsoft Visuals 2008 and 2010 are properly installed per the image your provided.  You do not need the 64 bit versions of 2005, 2008, or 2010 though as FSX is a 32 (x86) application.  A 64 bit version might be required for the latest versions of Windows though (okay, enough of that!  I do not want to confuse you). 

The key about Microsoft Visuals and Microsoft.net framework is that the installation software you used to install FSX, SP2 or Acceleration automatically installs the correct versions for you during the installation process.  I'm only suggesting (as well as the AVSIM CTD Guide) that you check to make sure you have to proper versions installed.  For instance, I have seen individuals uninstall the older versions of Microsoft Visual C++ as they have the 2010 or 2012 versions installed and they are just trying to clean up their system.  Wrong!  Not good!   They are needed.  Same goes with Microsoft.net framework packages.  Some say why do I need the 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0 versions when I have Version 4.5 installed? Well, now you see it is required to work only with certain versions of Microsoft Visual.  In your case, there probably is no reason for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 as you probably do not have any FSX addon software that uses that version.  I believe PMDG is the only developer using the 2010 version at this time.  I expect their software will some day be updated to work with the 2012 version.  If Microsoft had not ended further development of FSX/Acceleration, they too would have upgraded from Microsoft Visual C++ Version 2005 to the latest and we could all get rid of these old versions.  But that's not the case.  FSX still needs the old stuff installed.

Hope this helps.  :Praying:  We're getting closer.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well I run the Microsoft.net Framework packages tool, kept clicking next, it says that the tool has repaired the .NET Frameworks found on this computer, but still crashing.

I have never uninstalled any C++, so theoretically should still be on there

what is strange is I can get FSX running just like that, by uninstalling acceleration - it runs fine, so the issue is something to do with the acceleration part it would seem

what is strange is I can get FSX running just like that, by uninstalling acceleration - it runs fine, so the issue is something to do with the acceleration part it would seem

Then you need to go back to my 6th post here where I said I wanted to be sure you had not installed Acceleration over SP2.  You never responded to that comment I made.  Someone else brought the following link to my attention in another topic - http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/SP2-EN-ReadMe.aspx

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

OK well I have the Gold Edition, so I just installed the basic FSX, and then the Acceleration add-on, so as far as I know, I never personally installed SP2 other then what Acceleration has

We keep getting just another clue as to what you have installed.  Did you ever tell us you had the FSX Gold Edition?  This is not fair to me or to others.  You are being cryptic.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides answers to all of your questions you have raised so far.  Like any guide, it provides guidance to resolve your issue(s).

Going back to the OP, did you uninstall those JustFlight aircraft?  Most of their products were made for other versions of FS.  Many products are not compatible with Acceleration.  I suspect they have corrupted your installation beyond repair.  My very last recommendation is for you to uninstall/reinstall FSX Gold.  It must be completely uninstalled before even try to reinstall or it will not be successful or you will have more problems.  I would recommend going even as far as reinstalling Windows first.  But, if you are not reinstalling Windows, then you need to use the following guide for uninstalling/reinstalling FSX http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Use the excellent FSX Configuration Guide (a link is in my signature) once you reinstall FSX Gold.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Ok now I really am stumped - followed the guide to the letter, and uninstalled FSX as stated (although for some reason the folders in steps 5,6 and 7 disappeared before I could delete them). Fresh install, did as guide said and installed it into a fresh 'C:/FSX' folder

FSX run fine... installed acceleration... boom back to square one and crash with fatal error as before.

I think I am going to have to admit defeat

although for some reason the folders in steps 5,6 and 7 disappeared before I could delete them

That's the problem.  Those folders are hidden folders.  You cannot see them unless you tell your computer you want to see them.  Here's how to unhide them - http://www.wikihow.com/Unhide-Folders-in-Windows-7.  If these folders are not removed you will have problems after reinstallation.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM