Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel Teles

So, I did a little mod for sun and lens flare effect...

Before anything: I didn't know if this topic was better placed here or in the screenshots forum... so, AVSIM moderators, feel free to move this topic to the screenshots forum if you think the MS FSX forum is innapropriated! 

Well, yes. Since I did that sky textures, I got interested in the sun effect, too. Some of you may remember that experiment I did with the lens flare effect... I think there's a lot of room to do funny and cool things here. 

So last week I started this little project: I'm trying to do a sun / lens flare effect that looks... cool. The original idea was kind of different of what you see here; the problem is that FSX, apparently, has a limited number of lens flare "elements" that are shown on screen -- so it's not exactly possible to do a sofisticated lens flare effect. 

I'm trying to have a "minimalistic" approach, then. 

See the screenshots and, if you want, download and install the mod (but please don't forget to do backups!). Tell me what you think about it. If you find it good, i may put it in the library. 

Gifs (with and without ENB Series):

33xhljo.gif

2yytkds.gif

Screenshots (last one without ENB)

BgJd5Pv.jpg

uKUFVKr.jpg

ldN4Gfv.jpg

kRghHLH.jpg

Download here!

Oh, one more thing... if this mod reaches the library, please, give me ideas for a name... as you may know I'm not good with names lol...

• Upvote 3

Name: sunshine...sunshine reggae :D

But seriously - amazing job :) will download it today. Hope it will work nice in dx10 :)

On the 2nd from down pic - what clouds you use?

Great work as always Gabriel!

Edited to add: Am now using P3D2 exclusively now where I'm using your sky textures to good effect. I may well try this or the lens dust on it as well :)

Great mod, Gabriel, Just one question though, Can your upload your ENB files?

BTW I'm still using those sunset/rise textures from a while back. Beautiful.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Fantastic Gabriel, thank you.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Looks fantastic again Gabriel.

Does this work without ENB like your sky textures do?

How can I get the sun to appear much bigger? it is very small now.

That's a good question because I'd actually like to know the opposite! Watching the sun rise this morning (IRL) it looked a lot smaller than as it rose in P3D2 as I was doing a dawn flight last night (with the date set to current).

Hey guys, glad you like them. Thanks for the messages!

But seriously - amazing job :) will download it today. Hope it will work nice in dx10 :)

They are from REX Essentials. I'm far from my computer now, so can't tell exactly which set it is... I'll get the right name as soon as possible!

Cool! By the way Dxtfixer found errors in the alpha channel of your sun textures. No problem just a quick fix. Thank you :)

Whoa, thanks for the tip. I'm going to correct this.

Great work as always Gabriel!

Edited to add: Am now using P3D2 exclusively now where I'm using your sky textures to good effect. I may well try this or the lens dust on it as well :)

Just be aware that the dust effect actually is the lens flare effect used in another way -- so, the dust effect will actually parcially replace the lens flare effect you see here. FSX limitations. :(

@Gear Up and Off - It's easy! Open your suneffect.cfg and increase the "SunSize" value. Do some tests with different values.

@Cpt_morgan - Oh, that's good -- my ENB settings are in the sun textures package, too!

@LeeL - Yes, it works perfectly. I just like the way it looks with ENB...

Guys, is there anyone using these sun textures in DX10 mode with "Bloom" enable? 

I would like to know if it's working right before sending the mod to the library.

Thank you! 

Just saw here, the clouds are Cumulus Set #44 from REX Essentials Overdrive. Hope you like'em.

I'm using REX4 with it, and it's jaw dropping. Thanks again Gabriel.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!