Sign in to follow this  
Jeff H

FS 9.95 never looked so good.

C'mon Dillon, let's see your screens, it's a great opportunity to talk FS2004 without boring the greater audience...

Hi Folks,

Those FlightZone sceneries are some of the best ever made for FS9 - I wish Vauchez had done more... I loved his design concept - a larger airport - but - also a few of the smaller airports in an area as well... He remembered the GA guys...

Not sure if everyone is aware - but - especially with Carenado products since they use the same model mapping for both FS9 and FSX... You very easily download an FSX paint and convert it to FS9 - such as the Caravan I posted above... I've done tons - since it seems very few paints are actually made for FS9 anymore... You just need to convert the DDS texture to a BMP...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

C'mon Dillon, let's see your screens, it's a great opportunity to talk FS2004 without boring the greater audience...

Guys, to clear this up my comment above wasn't a slam against FS9 but rather a point to what some XP10 users are doing right now. Some are really proping up XP10 when it's inferior to FS9 in many ways (let alone our other options). In many cases one could go into the SC forum with the best intentions praising a tried and true platform like FS9 and get slack as to why people are still using this sim.

To me XP10 is still not a viable option to FS9, FSX, or P3D v2:

1. ATC is seriously lacking in comparison to FS9

2. AI traffic isn't fully realized

3. Seasons aren't implemented

4. Real world weather is not supported

What you have is a sim that could be made to look beautiful but lacking key elements to make it a serious contender. A member went into the PMDG forums all but demanding everyone take notice and from there some awesome screenshots started appearing in the screenshot forum. If Austin takes note in these few key areas XP would be great plus I believe it runs in Linux (I could ditch the MS ever changing OS forever). P3D wouldn't even be in the running for me unless LM figured out a way to get it to run under OSX or Linux.

Again my point above was missed by those ready to pounce because of my support of P3D (FS9 is STILL my main Sim). There's a serious XP10 push right now that's why I thought this was posted here to keep the peace....

• Upvote 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

The A330 from Flightcraft is indeed a nice model .... unfortunately he suffer of the common annoying problem .........

oOgEFaGl.jpg

1ijnylhl.jpg

Yup, as I mentioned, it is work perhaps not quite comlpete.

I see reference to a V3 model, don't know which one I have...

You just need to convert the DDS texture to a BMP

Great shot of the Caravan, scott.

Now if only someone could figure out how to convert the QW 146 paints for FSX to BMP... I am in the market for an Ansett NZ livery, and have drawn a blank over at the QW forum. 

On the subject of the A330, I found a splendid livery for the Overland A330-300

knh2.jpg

I took it to Dubai

4mjo.jpg

and created a flightplan for Karachi, almost exactly due East from here

th6a.jpg

There is a problem with looking at an aircraft here, the scenery tends to get in the way, and you easily forget what you were on  about... :)

tdf3.jpg

Back to the plane, it has a perfectly usable VC 

8mv0.jpg

and overall is a pleasure to use.

u7s9.jpg

I mess with the freeware models for fun (isn't that a large part of flightsimming) but I own the Overland Boeings and Airbuses which cover every tube known to man. They are hugely underrated and often overlooked, these planes.

• Upvote 5

Great pics- nice to see. But I am always surprised with the overwhelming preponderance of external screen shots of the aircraft's exterior vs interior pics from the cockpit- ie what the pilot is seeing.

Personally, I'd rather sit (or even better) have a ride in the jumpseat than just be an airplane watcher!

Honestly now- would you really choose to just walk around the shiny birds at an airshow rather than have a half hour in the right seat of a Bonanza or a Citation or a 737 ?

Perhaps what's needed is for sim plane designers to give us better wider/fixed flightdeck instrument panels more suited to very large monitors (or multi monitors). Modern screens are getting pretty close to real world cockpit size! 

Popups, panning, zooming and Virtual Panels came about because 14 -17" screens were all that existed !! 

january

Again my point above was missed by those ready to pounce because of my support of P3D (FS9 is STILL my main Sim). There's a serious XP10 push right now that's why I thought this was posted here to keep the peace....

Actually Dillon, I posted it here because it was specific to FS9 and how it looks today compared to how it all started out, not how it compares to the other platforms out there.  FS9 is, admittedly, the elder statesman of flight sims.  But while it does show its age (limitations) in some respects,  there have been a few things that have come along to bridge the gap.  I think if I had put it in the screenshots forum, it would have ended up as another "us vs them" discussion, and that is not what I was looking for.  I've seen a lot of folks saying that they're coming back to FS9 and rediscovering just how good it is, when you consider that most can run FS9 full bore with fewer problems than many experience with other platforms. If anything, I had hoped that it would illustrate what has been and can be done to keep it a viable alternative for anyone having difficulty getting the performance they're looking for from the newer platforms.  The flight sim community is more divided today than ever before. With four platforms to choose from and wide differences in expectations of simmers, I think developers will at some point face the possibility that to remain viable, they'll have to develop for more than one platform, or face the prospect of diminishing returns on their products, as it would seem that we are moving further from the idea of a single successor to FSX.  Sure, someday we'll all move on to something new, but that day isn't here yet.  I'm still hopeful that a few savvy developers will see a value in jumping back into a FS9 market that has been,  with some exception, all but forgotten by the commercial guys.  At the end of the day, IMHO, XPX and P3D will only divide the FSX community as it would appear the FS9'rs have pretty much made their choice.   I think that's why this forum has been pretty quiet when it comes to "The great Flight Sim successor" debate. As it was when FSX was released, you'll see some hardcore FSX'rs stay with what they have and some will jump ship to the other alternatives.  Is this a good thing or something to be feared?  Only time will tell.  And all the FS9 vs FSX vs P3D vs XPX vs DCS arguments in the world will not change the inevitable outcome.  It is what it is and it will be what it will be.  All I can say for sure is hold on tight, because it going to be an interesting ride.  :smile:

Cheers,

Jeff

And just for giggles and grins, one more screenshot.  :lol:

wonb.png

• Upvote 4

So if I start a FS9 screenshot thread here it would not be moved to the SS Forum?

Climbing out over Frankfurt with the red-eye Lufthansa service to Heathrow.

post-130184-0-23037700-1390705768.jpg

Arriving in pre-dawn light at london with Gatwick ahead about to turn in for Heathrow.

post-130184-0-57984600-1390705831.jpg

• Upvote 7

Wow, what night lighting is that?  Are those your textures that are in beta right now?  Those look like edited shots they are so good..

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

So if I start a FS9 screenshot thread here it would not be moved to the SS Forum?

As far as I'm concerned, Jim, no I wouldn't move it.  Provided they are shots of, and are relevant to, FS9 and comply with all other screenshot rules.  My goal has always been to show the strengths of FS9 on its' own merits,and not relative to other platforms. I just thought it would be nice to have a place for folks to show off the best of FS9 without the old "Mine's better than your's" bashing that so often follows.  I may actually pin this one so that there isn't a need to start another one. 

Cheers,

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Nice shots..and surprising that some of those are claimed unedited. Im grateful i still keep fs9 installed, although i have never had it a go since 2012 when i realized that airsimmer is dying and will likely never deliver their promises.

Regards

Gorky Max

Are those your textures that are in beta right now?

Have the same question...

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg