Sign in to follow this  
pmanhart

Alabeo Cutlass RG

I also saw that they have the Robinson Turbine--looks very nice as well.  I like flying copters from time to time...

John

...But then I am given to moments of 'What the heck!' :rolleyes:

That's exactly what happened to me last night, lol.

C'mon Ron, it's almost free and you know you want it. ...and we need some good repaints! :smile:

EDIT: Fair warning - I just installed it in FSX/DX10 and I'm not seeing any VC shadows either, no external shadows for that matter. Same .mdls for FSX and P3D2 (MD5 match, FSX native), I don't get it?

Speaking of shadows, PM me if you want an updated, relatively phoney shadow free cockpit for the Staggerwing. I did it to get rid of the non-moving yoke shadow, but since DX10, the phoney shadows for the bracing struts (?) got on my nerves.So I've got rid of those as well.

EDIT: Fair warning - I just installed it in FSX/DX10 and I'm not seeing any VC shadows either, no external shadows for that matter. Same .mdls for FSX and P3D2 (MD5 match, FSX native), I don't get it?

Go to the DX10 Fixer Tool box\Aircraft\Turn on VC shadows\navigate using the Pole star and select the .mdl for the aircraft.

If you already knew that...This message will self destruct in 30 seconds.

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Thanks Ron, that did the trick. I did the external .mdl too and now have shadows on it as well. ...and no I didn't know that as I haven't had much luck with DX10 - until today. I don't know what I did but for the first time in half a dozen tries it finally decided to play nice (more or less). I tried the Bio Shock Nvidia Inspector settings I've been using in P3D2 and I think that did it - at least it's generated enough interest now to RTFM a bit and see if I can refine things a little - it's definitely smoother by quite a bit, I may be just end up being a convert after all.

I'm tempted.  I know I wouldn't fly it that much, but I'm still tempted, strictly for nostalgic reasons.

My first experience with the plane was from the right seat, riding along with a friend as he practiced for his commercial rating.  A couple of years later, my next experiences were with that same friend, now a CFI with me as his student, as the 172RG was the plane I earned my complex endorsement on.  And like most, once I completed that training, I never set foot in one again.  The whole reason for the plane's existence was as tool for flight schools, and I don't think I could've rented one just "for the heck of it" even if I'd wanted to.  The handful available in my area were all booked solid by commercial students.

Still, I have a soft spot for the silly things.  No autopilot?  No GPS?  That's exactly as it should be.  :lol:

Scott

I flew one of these for several years, both as an instructor and for charter flights as well. The plane is very much like the real thing. I had no issues or handling that were different from the real thing. It is missing it's OAT gauge on the gasper vent, and the Takeoff index is missing on the trim wheel, but other than that, it appears to be the real McCoy. I believe the weak lighting we are seeing in P3Dv2 is due to having the HDR lighting disabled at the moment due to the black screen issue. I've notice the weak light on Carenado aircraft as well. I'll wait until L.M.'s next patch before I get too concerned about it. The landing and taxi lights look great though. It is faster than a regular 172 and it is a very good single engine IFR trainer. It's a good aircraft to fly when transitioning to twins, it saves a lot of money on the multi-engine rating. The crooked "Cutlass" stickers on the yokes do not bother me. Most of the time they were either bent or missing all together. It still is a fun aircraft to fly.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0

Well I read about the Cutlass RG in Flying magazine back in roughly 1980 and decided I wanted one "when I grew up", things didn't go exactly as planned, but hey, I'm grown up and I've got one now :smile:

BTW, this DX10 thing is amazing, I'm getting a bit 'hard of reading' in my old age so I didn't have much luck the first 5 or 6 times I tried it. I spent about 2 hrs RTFM and tweaking things according to the instructions this evening and I believe I'm a convert already, I just had the smoothest 30 min hop in FSX I've ever had! I was about ready to bin FSX in favor of P3D2 but I think I'll be keeping it a while longer now.

The lights are still pretty weak in FSX BTW, I don't think it has anything to do with HDR. They are modeled lights as opposed to effects so there's not much you can do besides add an effect in the [Lights] section in addition to what's already there. Actually the nav lights are probably about right in daylight, they wouldn't have a huge glow around them in the real world anyway. The strobes are just a little more than "detectable" though and the beacon may also need some help.

Really like it though, I took a few more screenshots around my hometown airport in DX10 mode, link here if anyone's interested:

http://cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/alabeo_cutlass.html

Jim

Same pilots we've been looking at for a few years now, those gents do get around, lol.

Yep, I call them STP in my Carenado reviews. I sent an email to Fernando and asked when they plan up update the pilots. Heck, these two have been flying day and night all over the world for both companies in every model  they make for years in FSX and now also in P3D. They must be dead tired and worn out.

Regards,

Ray

STP - same to pilots :rolleyes:

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Yep, I call them STP in my Carenado reviews. I sent an email to Fernando and asked when they plan up update the pilots. Heck, these two have been flying day and night all over the world for both companies in every model  they make for years in FSX and now also in P3D. They must be dead tired and worn out.

I've noticed them too, they seem to be in every Carenado and Alabeo aircraft since the B58 Baron (which was released in 2011 I think). Did you get a response from Fernando or did you send it just now?

I sent the email to Fernando about the pilots with every Carenado review.  Maybe 5 or 6 different times. No response to that question, ever.

Ray

I sent the email to Fernando about the pilots with every Carenado review.  Maybe 5 or 6 different times. No response to that question, ever.

Ray

Oh well. While I'm not using their aircraft, from what I see, Carenado are a little lazy when it comes to aircraft systems, so I guess new pilots is the last thing they're going to do.

Nice looking aircraft.  I wasn't familiar with this company's releases, I will have to check out their other aircraft.  It's a very reasonable price for an add on aircraft with such visual richness.

John

Last year, I ended up purchasing every plane they offer after falling in love with the AG Truck. I don't regret a single purchase. C195 coming soon. Check it out.

Last year, I ended up purchasing every plane they offer after falling in love with the AG Truck. I don't regret a single purchase. C195 coming soon. Check it out.

It will be interesting to see how they program the ground handling vs power. The real deal can be ground looped in a heartbeat.

Ray