Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Sometimes this hobby is frustrating as heck!

So, after I five hour flight from Toronto to Vancouver in the PMDG 777, I'm finally on approach and BOOM, "Your computer has run out of available memory". I can't remember the last time that this has happened to me. I guess we're just pushing our rigs right to their very limit with all of the elaborate addons. Maybe P3Dv2 will eventually fix this problem but how long will it take for all of the aircraft and scenery that we like to use to become compatible with it? Maybe X-Plane will eventually be the answer, but until they have some kind of Ai traffic program and decent weather injection I don't see that as becoming my everyday sim. Excuse the rant. I'm just FRUSTRATED! :wacko:

NAX669.png

Try golf sometime.

Or fishing when the big one gets away right at the boat.

Or bowling when that 10 pin just won't fall on a perfect pocket roll.

Or you can just dial back your settings a bit when flying the T7, quit using 4096 ot 2048 clouds and scenery textures (FSDT has a 1024 install option in the Vancouver installer), lower AI a bit, use DX19 for a little more headroom at the expense of a few anomalies here and there, or get/wait for a 64bit sim.

If you really want to stay on FSX using dx9 you can beat OOMs if you make the necessary adjustments.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Try golf sometime.

Or fishing when the big one gets away right at the boat.

Or bowling when that 10 pin just won't fall on a perfect pocket roll.

Yeah Jim, but those are equivalent of flubbing a landing when you're playing career mode for score.  Getting an OOM on final is more like losing several hundred dollars worth of fishing rod when you hook something bigger than you expected, or on the last ball of what is going to be a 300 game someone sneezes and breaks your concentration and you get a gutter ball.  I won't give a golf example, as there are plenty of golf jokes, most of them too rude to copy here.  :)

I'm going to suggest something that probably won't help (I don't get OOMs but it seems to keep me from crashing all the time), but I'd like to see what happens when people try it.

During any flight, I will periodically shift through the external views.  When I get to the nearest airport view I wait a bit until the terrain and autogen and textures start to update, then I'll go back to the cockpit view.  You should be seeing major blurries from the cockpit and may even have lower resolution terrain mesh;  that's what you want.  These both clear up within a few seconds, but at this point you know that your memory has been mostly reset and you may have more headroom for the landing.  I'd suggest doing this a short time before you're on final where the OOMs happen.

If anyone tries this, let me know if it helps at all.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

. I guess we're just pushing our rigs right to their very limit with all of the elaborate addons.

Bingo!

Best, Michael

KDFW

I would suggest one of those addons that make little backups say every 5mins or so (FSUIPC?).  That way if all goes dark then you can at least start back up pretty close to where you left off plus you now have a "refreshed" saved flight so your FPS should be high and your VAS should be low.  ;)

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I use the unregistered version of FSUIPC, so no autosave feature for me.

Instead I run Microsoft Process Explorer alongside FSX almost every time. When getting close to my TOD, and VAS usage is high in the 3.x GB's (higher than, say, 3.4 GB) I would manually save the flight (just in case ...).

If things go well - o.k.

If my flight OOM-es, I just restart and reload (complete and automatic panel state saving with the PMDG B777!). Now VAS usage will be lower (considerably ...) and I'm about to go through the remaining 30+ mins of my flight again flawlessly (this time ...).

In this day and age of cheap PCs there is a reasonable case to use a second relatively low spec one to run addons like ASN, Radar Contact etc. which will free up more resources for FSX and make those programs run better.

Once you have a second PC you can install WideFS and run VAS Monitor which will give you a readout of free VAS and current frame rate.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

In this day and age of cheap PCs there is a reasonable case to use a second relatively low spec one to run addons like ASN, Radar Contact etc. which will free up more resources for FSX and make those programs run better.

Once you have a second PC you can install WideFS and run VAS Monitor which will give you a readout of free VAS and current frame rate.

not a bad idea, just so happens I have some spare cash that needs to be torn up.

How much grunt on the 2nd pc is needed to run a few addons, vox atc, EFB,OPUS ,and several others.

I do have a spare lap top available thats only a couple of years old but no idea about the specs

ZORAN

So, after I five hour flight from Toronto to Vancouver in the PMDG 777, I'm finally on approach and BOOM, "Your computer has run out of available memory". I can't remember the last time that this has happened to me. I guess we're just pushing our rigs right to their very limit with all of the elaborate addons. Maybe P3Dv2 will eventually fix this problem but how long will it take for all of the aircraft and scenery that we like to use to become compatible with it? Maybe X-Plane will eventually be the answer, but until they have some kind of Ai traffic program and decent weather injection I don't see that as becoming my everyday sim. Excuse the rant. I'm just FRUSTRATED! :wacko:

My standard procedure when flying the NGX into a busy city/airport is to save the flight say 20 mi from touchdown, shut down FS X, then restart and select the saved flight. Works well fo me with higher frames and no OOMs. Takes maybe 3-4 minutes and the PMDG stuff allows restarting a flight with everything intact.

I completely agree with you, it's so so frustrating to have suche error at final :( :( :(

Zoran,

My second PC has the following spec:-

Windows XP SP3

Intel E8400 3GHz processor

3Gb RAM

8800GTX768Mb graphics card

And it runs all the following software on 2 displays:-

Project Magenta Boeing Suite comprising glass cockpit and CDU

Radar Contact v4

EFB

Active Sky Next

Project Magenta glass cockpit returns 60fps! Real life fluidity!

Any laptop with an i3 or i5 processor should be fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks ray looks like I will dust it off tomorrow :-)

ZORAN