Sign in to follow this  
Axel66

Vox ATC and weather

Yesterday I flew from Helsinki to Frankfurt using AivlaSoft EFB and Active Sky. When I checked the METAR in EFB it said wind 240/7. Thus I prepared landing for Rwy 25. When I was in the vicinity of Frankfurt my Airbus told me wind 240/6. After a couple of minutes Tower said "expect Rwy 7R for landing". That was very surprsingly and I have that issue on a regular basis. From what source does Vox ATC get the weather data and how can I change it?

Axel

AFAIK it goes with the AI traffic (which can be crazy sometimes).

Having received a clearance for a particular approach you can always request a different approach (including a different runway) to make sure you land against the wind.

Oliver,

When you say it goes with AI traffic I agree but when the VoxATC created AI traffic does not catch the correct weather data it will always be wrong and I will get the same wrong orders from ATC like the AI traffic. I know that I can request another runway but it is not very realistic to fly against the rest of the traffic.

Member,

The 5kts restriction (if it is really exactly 5 kts) does not apply to my situation because the wind had 6 respectively 7 kts.

I will send a mail to the developer and let you know his answer.

this is probably my main complaint about vox atc..

i use ASN for weather ... seems like voxatc is always smart about picking a reasonable departure runway ...but on arrival a lot of times it has a different idea of what the weather is, often times the reported weather is completely different than what ASN says it is, like last night i was landing somewhere with a 180@15knts wind and the tower said wind calm. 

with as2012 it seemed like it picked the weather that was current to my location around when it had me start my descent so if the winds aloft were 270 it would treat that as the ideal wind direction even if the surface wind was the opposite

i tried stopping and restarting voxatc while 50nm out and it would still have the same reported conditions (the voxatc atis and asn atis report differently)

cheers

-andy crosby

Hi folks,

I was in contact with the developer and the answer why it does not work is actually very easy. VoxATC decides what runway you will get with regards to the FSX weather (even though it is not used when you have a third party weather addon). During my last flights I checked if the FSX weather is the same as the Active Sky weather and it is not. That means the only solution to solve the problem is to synchronize the FSX weather with Active Sky (or what ever you use). Unfortunately I have no idea how to achieve that.

AFAIK it goes with the AI traffic (which can be crazy sometimes).

Having received a clearance for a particular approach you can always request a different approach (including a different runway) to make sure you land against the wind.

I find myself drifting away from VOX atc and flying on line with EFB linked to OPUS and doing it all my self inc. sids/stars 

I still use vox atc for quick n dirty flights when I dont want to think to much 

ZORAN