Sign in to follow this  
dsknape

Videocard update with $160 budget

Hello,

Im new to avsim and i've got a question.

i have updated my computer because my old computer couldn't handle fsx anymore.

so now i have a AMD Phenom II X4 970 and 8 gigs ram, but my videocard is still bad (AMD HD3650)

I want a new one but I don't know wich card to buy with $160 budget.

Can you guys help me out?

Daniël

sorry,

i mean upgraded my computer.

Im from the netherlands and im 14 years old so my English can be bad.

You could follow this link, choose something to your liking and near your price-point, and find the price of equivalent cards in your area. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204017%20600007782&IsNodeId=1&page=2&bop=And&Order=BESTMATCH&PageSize=20

The customer reviews with each card can also help you in making a good decision!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The Nvidia 660 cards by EVGA and others is a good card in this price range. I upgraded last year and it has done a great job for me.

Thanks for your answer. I also looked at this videocard and to me it seems a good card.

one question.

wich Fps do you get in fsx?

FPS in FSX is more determined by the processor on the motherboard than the graphics card. My system is AMD FX-43xx processor running at approx. 3.6mhz. Running the VRS Superbug with detailed scenery, I get about 15FPS with my autogen settings.

Hello

is a GTX 560 TI Hawk Edition good for fsx?

Daniël

Within the price range you're looking for its a nice card, but you might want to consider that the next obvious move is probably going to be to P3D (or maybe even X-Plane) so the cards I linked you to all had 2gb of ram for a slight bit of future maneuvering room.........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Henry,

Thanks, it was helpful, it says that I have to look for a GTX 650 or GTX 650 ti.

HiFlyer,

thanks for your tip, I havent considered that future games will require more of a videocard

is 1.5 gig good? or is 2 gig a must

Even 1gig is fine for FSX. Anything else will want at least 2gigs

Devons rig

Hey you should check the R7 260x 2GB from Sapphire.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

thanks HiFlyer, its nice to know. I will look at 2 gig cards

is the r7 260x a good card for heavy games like Fsx or Battlefield?

thanks HiFlyer, its nice to know. I will look at 2 gig cards

is the r7 260x a good card for heavy games like Fsx or Battlefield?

Don't know about Battlefield but for FSX yes.   Keep the 2 GB VRAM. Not that FSX may use all of it, but maybe BF will.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus