Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

Help - Force Feedback and addon aircraft

Guest Erich22

Does anyone know how I can add or increase the feedback for some add-on aircraft that don't seem to have force feedback in the game. I use MS force feedback stick and I get very good feedback with the original aircrafts in the game. However, I have noticed that with some of the addons (i.e., Fokker 100-70 and Eaglesoft Citation X) the stick is very loose and I can hardly get any feedback on the stick. The developers of these planes say that they don't use FF sticks or that FF is not enabled on their aircrafts. I asked how I can enable the FF but got no answer. I have replaced the Force Feedback section in the addon aircraft's config. with force feedback config of another plane that I liked but no effect. I have even removed the FF section from the config. and still no effect. I am thinking that there must be another place in the config. that influences the FF. Any help would be appreciated.

I am using a saitek evo force with FS2004 and was not happy with the built in force routines.I now use FS Force which is a force feedback module for FS2004 thatbypasses the built in force routines and gives much more realistic effects.To use it you disable the FS2004 built in force feedback and trim assignments, eash aircraft can have its own preset and you can edit the forces.There is a demo available for up to 10 flightsim sessions but i have to admit i had the plastic out after the first flight.From the websiteFS Force is an add-on module for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 / 2004 that provides dynamic force feedback effects in response to changing flight conditions, whether you're on the ground or in the air. On the ground, you'll feel bumps, dips, pavement grooves, sharp cornering, braking forces, hard landings and more. In the air, you'll feel realistic trim forces, and centering forces that vary with airspeed. You can also add friction and damping to the flight controls to further enhance realism.Each airplane can have it's own force feedback profile, and all forces are optional and fully customizable. Your force feedback experience can be as subtle or intensive as you like.Programmed by a real pilot using the latest in DirectX technology, FS Force will completely immerse you in the flight experience.

Guest rumpel

Are we talking Force feedback, Force Feedback 2, or both? In any case I also have a problem in FS9 with the add-on airplanes, but the effect is opposite of what you are seeing. The feedback from the controls in flight is different in the freeware add-ons, but the add-ons (usually FS2002 only) that I have invariably fly with a very "heavy on the controls" and a "rebound" feel in the stick. The stick also reacts to the aircraft movement,and will sometimes slam against the stops (actually it goes in the opposite direction) when autopilot is on. This does not happen with the default airplanes.I have tried various flight dynamics changes, including control surface sizes, location, etc., with some effect, but have not been able to completely solve the problem. I have also compared an AirEd complete printout from a default and an add-on without finding anything that looked like it could be the culprit. Avoiding extreme stick movement helps, but the results are still not as smooth as the default aircraft.I am using a Force feedback 2 with a 2.9 ghz HP Computer with max memory and XP.Other than the above problem, the stick works fine. It is sometimes a nuisance with the add-ons, but the stick is fully usable, if sometimes annoying. Frame rates are fine.John

Guest rumpel

Sounds like just what I need if it works with Force feedback 2.What is the website? I get a blank in that space when I read your message.John

Just Typing FS Force into google will get you there

Guest Bigshot

The amount of FFB is defined in the air file. Seems nobody bothers to build for FFB anymore. I find and use airfiles from FS2k2 that work. All of my planes now have great FFB. Including the eaglesoft jets which like all the others required a lot of fiddling to get just right. Nothing better than the MSSWFFB2 stick for FS9 and IL2 et al.

I think that you would benefit from using FS Force as then you would be able to define your own Force profiles for each of your aircraft without having to find old airfiles which may have other problems with later models.Give FS Force a tryout for the 10 sessions that the demo allows and i would be sure that you will be really pleased with it.FS Force does not use the FS2004 force routines, in fact you have to turn off the built in force feedback and trim assignments. it is independent of the aircrafts airfile.All the force parameters are editable and can then be assigned to an aircraftCheck it out, i am pleased with the software and it has made the force effects much better and more subtle.

Guest rumpel

Which parameter (or parameters)in the .air file controls it? Does AirEd list the value(s) that affect it by item number? I have not been able to find it with AirEd.I took a King Air FS9 file and reworked it into a C130-H, and it improved things from a stick banging standpoint, but still did not completley cure the "heaviness".I am currently trying to cure an FS2K DC6-B of the stick instability, and it is also very heavy on the controls compare to the default aircraft. Thanks,John

Guest rumpel

Thanks, I am going to try it as soon as I get off here. I have been starting out with the FS9 .air file templates and reworking them from scratch with AirEd to use with the the older existing freeware add-ons, but still haven't found the section that determines force feedback loads.Thanks for your help-I will google the thing to find that program and try it out.

Guest Waltm

FS Force http://www.dirks-software.ca/fs-force/ is the only FF option that has worked for me and my MS ForceFeedback 2 joystick. It's pricy ($40, I think), but works as advertised. My only reservations is that it doesn't model stall buffeting or turbulence.-- WaltFlying FS9.1 at 1600x1200x32Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHzWindows XP Pro SP2512MB PC800 RDRAM,8100128MB ATI Radeon 9600 ProATI Catalyst Windows XP 4.11 video driverDirectX 9.0bViewSonic P95f+ 19 inch Ultrabrite CRT MonitorSound Blaster Audigy2 ZSCreative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 SpeakersMS ForceFeedback 2 joystick

Guest rumpel

Hi Walt, and Thanks, FS Force is the recommendation I am getting from everyone, and I downloaded the free trial software yesterday, printed out the instructions etc. However, in all probability, I will just live with my problem and dig further into the .air files in hopes of a finding a solution to the only problem that really annoys me, rather than using the FS Force program. The price is not a problem, it is reasonable from what I hear about the software. However, the registration procedure required to use the software after the trial period is a problem to me, but only because of a unique arrangement I have with my computers. Their anti-piracy protection, as I understand their document, requires giving their organization access to information stored in the computer that contains FS9, so that they can identify that machine and be alerted if an attempt is made to run the program on another machine. They explain why they use this method, and it sounds reasonable. However, I have sensitive personal information stored in the same computer with my flight sim program, and that computer almost never sees the internet. This was done deliberately, as I have another "clean" computer that I use for general internet access. I would just not be comfortable allowing an ouside source access to the "Flight Sim/Private Information" computer. It is a credit to the creators of what is apparently a fine program that they completely explain what they require before you buy FS Force, and nothing in this message is intended to reflect on anything but my reluctance to accept their chosen anti-piracy policy. Thanks to all who responed for your recommendations and for bothering to reply to my question.Regards,John