Sign in to follow this  
oqvist

FS2006 - combined Civil and Military simulator

While we are all speculating about what the next FS200x will look like and incorporate, I'd like to introduce an outside chance into the race - probably a 100 to 1 shot really, but a couple of things point to it having some form. CFS3 was a loser and CFS4 was abandoned. However, there is obviously a market for Military Sims - as evidenced by the popularity of Lomac, IL2 , etc. But if I was MS, wanted to stay in both races - Civil and Military - and was planning a new FSim engine, then why would I want to have 2 teams building 2 different Sims. Flight mechanics are the same regardless of whether an a/c is a Civil or Military a/c so it could be conceivable that the 2 types could be combined.NOW THAT - FOR ME-- WOULD BE A KILLER NEW SIM!!!! :)Barry

because there was no market... It just didn't sell enough to warrant the investment.

On the surface it sounds great, but eventually you'd get two camps where one wanted MSFS to devote resources to theirs and theirs only. And then sales would also suffer--even if there's an "opt out" feature, even hinting of a military theme on the product would steer some away. Many long time MSFS enthusiasts go out of their way to avoid military titles by those circumstances in their lives which have influenced their beliefs. In any case, to build a good military title into MSFS would soak up too many resources from our beloved sim. I suspect that many of the resources devoted to CFS.x were the same that will be required for the FS2006 effort.-John

The difference between combat and civ sims is competition. There are much better (and a decent variety) of combat sims to choose from, while MS Flightsim is almost the only civ sim on the market. It makes sense for them to drop the combatsim line, since arguably they are not anywhere near the top player in the market. Whereas with Flightsim they are the only product on shelves in most stores (not that there aren't alternatives available).

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

>because there was no market... It just didn't sell enough to>warrant the investment.Correction there was a market but CFS 3 didn

... agreedsome of the most major leaps in the MSFS line came when faced with competion.think about it, then think about FS10? - major improvement??

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Yeah competition is crucial for development. Not only you are forced to work harder you get ideas from what your competitors are doing. And automatically there is more features you need to have and can

I think a military sim with more conventional mission types, other then going after the enemy planes would be nice. CAP missions in and around Civilian Air traffic... I Like your idea though..

Guest United

Combine a military sim in with a civilian/commercial?? No way. The civilian/commercial sim (FS9) is no where's near what it needs to be yet and why should FS9 be used to bolster the losing military software market??Randy Jura, KPDX

Howdy,others have stated this before in similar discussions: the main reason why a combination military/civilian won't happen is that it would be difficult (pointless?) to make it target-selective. That is, users could shoot down civilian aircraft. Not a good concept and perfect for bad press (for MS and users alike) in these hyper-PC times.Cheers, Holger

>because there was no market... It just didn't sell enough to>warrant the investment.Well that is maybe not strictly correct -- There IS a market for Military Sims, it was simply that CFS3 did not succeed within that market!Barry

Guest victorwest

What does everybody think we'll get more of?Threads about FS10 before it's actually announced or threads about what's in FS10 after it's announced and before it goes on sale! :D Victor

Neither we will of course have continuously threads about FS10. Or how many here honestly believe there will never be one ;)

Guest victorwest

>Neither we will of course have continuously threads about>FS10. Or how many here honestly believe there will never be>one ;)Sometime between mid February and mid March is my estimate for the new threads to start.:-lol Victor