Sign in to follow this  
Guest MvT

Wind Speed and Turbulance Question

Guest RichardL

Does anyone know why wind has no affect on aircraft sitting on the ground? I placed the PMDG Beech 1900 on the ramp and cranked wind speed up to 125kts, gusts to 146kts, wind shear to sharp, and turbulance to severe. I see no aircraft movement when looking out the window or looking at the aircraft in spot mode. Is this another limitation of FS2004?From what I remember when in a real twin tubroprop, just the engines running creates rocking of the aircraft.Richard

I know in FS98, it was possible to set the weather if you were admin of a multi-player flight. There've been many times where for kicks a host would set my winds to 100+ kts, and my Cessna would go cartwheeling away from it's parking spot. So this at least WAS modelled in MSFS. If you're running FSUIPC, there is an option which disables ground winds. Did you do a shift/Z and verify that your wind was where you'd set it?You are quite right about the rocking of the aircraft. I was in a B1900 in Philly several years ago, and winds were gusting at 30kts. Had a bumpier flight parked than in the air, it seemed.-john

Guest RichardL

Hi John,Thanks for the reply. I did not check with ShiftZ, but I was getting the correct wind speed and direction in the pmRJ nav display. ATIS was also reporting correct (ActiveSky) wind.I did set the wind up to 160+kts and the B1900 took off backwards on its own and eventually fell to earth. I'm just curious why there is no rocking of the plane from gusts or engines. Richard

Oddly enough I set up a windy flight the other day (25 gusts to 35, moderate turb and moderate shear), and the C172 was bobbing up and down just sitting on the runway. Nothing severe though. I'll have to try more.Joe

Guest MvT

This is an option in FSUIPC (smooth wind changes near aircraft). I think this is checked by default. This will smooth the wind incl. turbulence. I don't know is this is also checked when you're using FSUIPC unregistered. fsuipc1cv.jpg