Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

External Strobe Light Timing Needs Tweaking

Hi PMDG team,

I have noticed the timing of the external strobe lights is a little off.  It appears that the tail and wing strobes are timed to flash at the same time.  I watch the 777 fly into CYVR from my residence and it appears to me that the tail followed by the wings and finally the red beacon lights flash in a 1-2-3 succession which are probably a fraction of a second apart.  Any chance of adjusting the timing a little?

Thanks,

Robert 

\Robert Hamlich/

I've noticed the same like Robert said. I can watch everyday Boeing 777 taking off and the wings flashes first and the tail strobe, but it's not a drama to me :P

Hi PMDG team,

I have noticed the timing of the external strobe lights is a little off.  It appears that the tail and wing strobes are timed to flash at the same time.  I watch the 777 fly into CYVR from my residence and it appears to me that the tail followed by the wings and finally the red beacon lights flash in a 1-2-3 succession which are probably a fraction of a second apart.  Any chance of adjusting the timing a little?

Thanks,

Robert 

There is nothing to adjust.

I work on British Airways and Qatar 777's every day and I can tell you the strobes flash together on the wingtips and tail.

PMDG got it right.

• Upvote 3

More likely a difference between 777-200LR and 777-(other variants).

Is the OP watching 777-200LR's or 777-200ER's and -200's and -300's and -300ERs?

I don't know much about 777's apart from what I learned here though.

Another option, Are these lights actually timed together? or is it just luck of when the switch for the particular light is switched on (beacon vs strobe) as to when the flashes happen?

I think that's not the big problem. The flashing strobes while in the air are almost not noticeable. In the ground, the effect is very good but in the air looks like there's no strobes.

Enviado do meu GT-I9505 através de Tapatalk

I think that's not the big problem. The flashing strobes while in the air are almost not noticeable. In the ground, the effect is very good but in the air looks like there's no strobes.

thats what happens in real life unless you are  flying trough  clauds or heavy fog  you see the reflection of the strobes.

I'd imagine you'd be able to see them at night as well, if you craned your neck hard enough?

Aamir Thacker

thats what happens in real life unless you are  flying trough  clauds or heavy fog  you see the reflection of the strobes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBPXRNdnta0

I'm sorry but.. where is the fog or clouds ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAtik0BH2I4

Where are them ?

I would love to see this aircraft with the airbus x extended power lighting strobes

As for the Airbus X extended, this plane has no wing flex built into the simulation. I understand (I could be wrong) that where a plane, like the T7 and NGX, incorporates a good wing flex model there is a high degree of difficulty (or impossibility) in making the flashing strobes stay on the wing tip.  Thus, as far as I know, PMDG have elected for the less obvious strobes. Personally I think they are have made the correct decision, i.e. I prefer wing flex to bright lights, and I also enjoy the feature of ground reflection of their light effects. As I said, I could be wrong but I believe I read this explanation on another site but can't remember where.

I agree with Erek though, in that when you are inside a plane it's difficult to see the lights on the wingtips unless they light up something like clouds or fog. From outside it's a different story as Jason's great videos show. I assume that external lights on planes are designed to broadcast outward to traffic and not inward to the passengers.

Andrew

I work on British Airways and Qatar 777's every day and I can tell you the strobes flash together on the wingtips and tail.

PMDG got it right.

Hey Qatar good to hear, I just landed my first real world job with them.

PMDG got it right.

I disagree with you AJ, you just haven't been able to watch the AC from a distance like I have several times (I live on the path where AC come in on finals).

I agree that PMDG has poured over the technical docs provided by Boeing, I would rather they got everything in the VC right as opposed to exterior strobe flashing but I thought that I would point it out.

\Robert Hamlich/

I disagree with you AJ, you just haven't been able to watch the AC from a distance like I have several times (I live on the path where AC come in on finals).

I agree that PMDG has poured over the technical docs provided by Boeing, I would rather they got everything in the VC right as opposed to exterior strobe flashing but I thought that I would point it out.

Yesterday I went to the airport and watched the daily evening arrival and depature from emirates service DXB-DUS-DXB.The aircraft was a -300ER A6-ENB.

The strobe flashing was first Tail and then (a second or not even a second) later the wing strobe lights.

Later at home I watched some of my videos and on youtube and I noticed the strobe flashing PMDG did is exactly the same as on the -200ER and the normal -300.

I can't say much about the -200LR and -F but I think it has the same strobe flashing interval as the -300ER.