Sign in to follow this  
ailchim

replacing PAI models and textures

Guest pjensen42

I have Project AI installed and I would like to use the more frame rate friendly AI aardvark models where possible. What is the easiest way to make the swap? The idea I have is to replace the model.cfg file the .mdl file for each aircraft. Then give the ardvark textures the same file names as the PAI textures and then write over them, doing each airline for each aircraft. Is there a faster way to be doing this? Thanks

If you start moving model files around, goodness knows what will happen!All (!!) you need to do is:1) Pick an aircraft which Aardvark supplies2) Download and install as many Aardvark repaints as you can to match the equivalent PAI aircraft you already have installed (e.g. Aardvark B737-400 for PAI B737-400).3) Open the PAI and the Aardvark aircraft.cfg files side-by-side4) Cut the "title=" statement for each repaint you want to transfer from the PAI .cfg and paste it over the equivalent Aardvark "title=" statement5) Delete the whole "fltsim=" sections from the PAI .cfg file for the repaints you have transferred, leaving any PAI "fltsim=" sections which you haven't been able to move over to Aardvark repaints.6) Remumber the remaining PAI "fltsim=" sections in sequence starting from "fltsim=0" with no gaps or duplicates.7) Save both .cfg files 8) Delete the unwanted PAI texture directories to save file space.9) Move onto the next Aardvark aircraft!In other words, the "title=" statement is how flightplans link into your installed aircraft, this is all you have to move across from PAI to the Aardvark equivalent to make the flightplan use Aardvark instead of PAI planes.

ngxu_banner.png

I think there is another easier way too. I use Ultimate Traffic so its slightly different but the priciple is the same. Go look at your aircraft.txt with TTools. Find the PAI aircraft, they are the same models as the UT stuff by the way! I just download and install the aardvark aircraft and replace the PAI titles in the aircraft.txt with the aardvark one and recompile the flightplans with TTools. Viola, new aardvark jets instead of PAI. I have done it with almost all the types except the foreign 737's and airbusses. I use FS Painter for the Airbus family and the 767-400, and 777.Hornit

Same principle, since the aircraft.txt file generated by Traffic Tools is the other end of the link with the "title=" statement in the aircraft.cfg you are moving one end, I'm moving the other.The main thing I'd stress is, do the replacement aircraft by aircraft, not airline by airline, otherwise you'll spend forever flitting from webpage to webpage and FS aircraft directory to directory as you do the installations. Much harder that way.And as my aircraft.txt file is in airline not aircraft order, that's why I'd advocate changing the aircraft.cfg end of the link, not the aircraft.txt end.Also, of course, changing the aircraft.cfg doesn't require any use of Traffic Tools.

ngxu_banner.png