Sign in to follow this  
Erebus

"My NGX won't autoland" and related issues

Hi!

The last few days, I've been having some issues autolanding my NGX. I've been flying with the FSCaptian demo and PRO-ATC-X active, always doing a CLDDRK startup from the www.carsten-rau.de-manual. The airports I've been having trouble at are KLAX (ILS7R) and KRNO (Or CYYC, I can't really remember). There's no problem setting up the VNAV and LNAV, I capture the localizer and G/S just as usual, have the ILS frequency and CRS plotted in both autopilots, but still, it won't autoland. The two problems manifested in different ways: On the first one, in Reno, when I activated the second autopilot, the first autopilot disconnected, and vice versa, and I had to land manually. 
The second one, at LAX yesterday, both autopilots activated, but the annunciator didn't change to CMD as I decended, and at apprx 400ft, the PFD said "No Autoland". I took matters in my own hands, and safely brought the herd down on the ground, and I don't mind doing so, but I don't like the plane to behave in ways I don't understand. 

Also, I noticed some anomalities when I plotted the HUD on those landings. It didn't activate ARM Axxx, like stated in Carsten's otherwise splendid checklist. I was thinking this might be a clue to what's going on? If anyone would be as nice as to explain to me the different modes of the HUD (and different landings autolandings and autoland modes, or "not" autoland modes,) or link me to an understandable explanation, It'd be great! 

So if anyone can help me understand, I'm gratefull! 

Einar Tryti 

and if someone could tell me how to delete my spam topics, that'd be great too. 

Einar T

I don't believe you can delete them. In the future just click on Post button one time even if it looks like the post is not going to be made. Disregard any warning messages because your post will be made.

Michael Cubine

I think I would try the EGLL-EHAM flight in Tutorial 1 without using FSCaptain, PRO-ATC, Cold and Dark panel state, and the Carsten Manual. Just fly the tutorial eactly as it is written. It's is not a long flight. Use the PMDG livery and don't change the panel state. If you are using AIRAC 1401 you need to make sure Revision 3 is what you have. The original and Revision 2 were messed up.

Michael Cubine

You can do autolands without programming the FMC. You need to have both nav radios set to the ILS frequency. If you are not aligned with the runway (say you are at 30 degrees with the runway heading on approach), press the loc button to get the aircraft aligned with the runway. When you are close to the runway heading, press the app button and the GS indication should appear in white on the PFD. The second cmd button for  both computers will not become available before you grab the glideslope, which you should grab from below while flying level, so at this point the GS indicator should be in the top half. When you grab the glideslope, the GS indicator will become green, and now you can press the second cmd button for a fulll autoland. If you have not programmed the FMC with the appropriate values, you may have to control the speed yourself either with the throttle or with the autospeed knob.

I hope this helps.

Henri

Henri Arsenault

Yeah, running on last revision. 

Had a very decent landing just now, in Denver. (KDEN). Or, the landing was okay, I think the NGX can be unruly in descent at times. 

Guess I'll just keep flying, thanks for the tips :) 

EInar T

NGX doesn't like slowing down. Slow it down to 160kts before glideslope. The autoland is bad if the approach is bad. (or if the AFCAD at the airport is bad and puts the ILS somewhere strange.)