Sign in to follow this  
AUA425

Cloud Shadows and misc!

Hello!

I don´t know if you know that, but we can bring the cloud shadows back (not permanently, the dataref will be active until you restart xplane, but it´s also probably possible to set your own data refs preset for art control). Download and install datarefeditor plugin from http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/mediawiki/datarefeditor (into plugins Folder)!

Start XPlane go to plugins/datarefeditor -> click "show art controls" (console will pop up) and scroll down (or search while you click into box frame on lower left corner, tutorials how to juse datarefedit are also on YouTube) ..and scroll down to "clouds/cloud_shadow_lighten_ratio=0.500000" and try out f.e. 0.85000 und you will be suprised. :-)

You can change many things (on the fly) like cloud radius and some many many things, it´s a powerful tool!

Have a nice day :-) !

post-162420-0-89778000-1390747409.jpg

post-162420-0-28917000-1390747447.jpg

post-162420-0-32331900-1390747464.jpg

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Guest Mik75

Wow, that looks fantastic! I´ll definitely give it try!

Thanks a lot for posting that find!

i don´t try it with sky max pro, but i think not, because sky max brings some own shaders but i´m sure -> this can be implemented!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Guest Mik75

I gave it a try! Unfortunately, it doesn´t work with SMP.

But the results with the default clouds are just spectecular, it adds so much depth and realism! I really liked the cloud shadows in XP9 and missed them in XPX (although they are there, just not really intense), but with values between 0.85000 and 0.90000 these shadows look so much more accentuated and defined!

Thanks again for giving us this hint!

WIll it work on SkyMaxxPro?

I believe it will probably be implemented, since Silver lining definitely has the capability, but last I knew, they needed some help from LM.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Where is the link gone?

EDIT. found another link, ive also tried a setting of 1.100000, looks good!

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

Hello!

I don´t know if you know that, but we can bring the cloud shadows back (not permanently, the dataref will be active until you restart xplane, but it´s also probably possible to set your own data refs preset for art control). Download and install datarefeditor plugin from http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/mediawiki/datarefeditor (into plugins Folder)!

Start XPlane go to plugins/datarefeditor -> click "show art controls" (console will pop up) and scroll down (or search while you click into box frame on lower left corner, tutorials how to juse datarefedit are also on YouTube) ..and scroll down to "clouds/cloud_shadow_lighten_ratio=0.500000" and try out f.e. 0.85000 und you will be suprised. :-)

You can change many things (on the fly) like cloud radius and some many many things, it´s a powerful tool!

Have a nice day :-) !

You are a hero !!! :lol:

Pascal

Is it possible with this data ref editor to disable the grey wall of death? I mean also not using SMP.

Alexander Colka

Just implemented the datarefeditor myself a few minutes ago.

This is so simple and effective , it brings back some of the realism-features we were used to in XP9.

but it´s also probably possible to set your own data refs preset for art control

Can you be a bit more specific about that.
Do you mean its possible to change the dataref (the cloud shadows)  permanently in another way.
And if so, how?

Another thing ,as far as I remember,in FS9 the clouds were moving as were the shadows on the ground.

I get the impression clouds are static in XP10.
Any clue?

Is there a way to get the clouds moving (again)?

Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

@alexcolka:

hello alexander:

sorry, but i don´t know such certain datarefs. in fact, this tool is actually not for "public" use,and there is not any kind of documentation (see link below). This datarefs are only used by laminar to test theirs own stuff.

I search for values and try it out, on the fly, and look at the results. but under skyc/white_out_in_clouds=xxxxxx sounds for me similar (without guarantee)!

@leen:

Hello Leen!

sorry i try it out and it´s not possible,, because the art data refs are only used for Debugging by laminar !

at the beginning i "was on the way" to write Ben S. an email for help request but after reading yesterday this post : http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=56285 (scroll down) i didn´t do it !

It´s a pity that such refs like cloud shadows can´t bee saved, but it´s up to Ben and Laminar!

moving clouds -> not found ! :-( , but that would be also a very nice feature!

but if i find out some other "hidden" features, these will be, of course, shared to our community!

(if permitted by Laminar @Laminar ) !

Greetings!

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.