Sign in to follow this  
troytd

PC build

You might want to consider a bigger size SSD. I would recommend a 250GB at the minimum. Also, if you're looking to overclock the CPU I would recommend a bigger PSU, other than that, all is good.

I agree with the above comments. I currently just have my fsx install, without scenery on a 110gb SSD, and wish that I had gotten 250gb. 

Also, if you are going to overclock you might take a look at liquid cooling.

I find it much quieter than air coolers and not a heck of a lot more expensive.

I'm not 100% sure you need a bigger power supply than that 650W GOLD Corsair

CK

I would definitely go bigger than a 650W power supply and get water cooling.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

The PSU calculator doesn't show a need for a higher wattage even if I am going to overclock?

If you had 2 video cards in SLI I would say yes....bigger supply or if your PS was a mid/low end brand names I would say Yes bigger supply.

But this is a GOLD standard major brand 650W PS.....I think it will do perfectly well.

But, after saying that you seem to be willing to spend major $$$ here so if you see a major brand name PS in the 750W range go for it.

I just wouldn't spend $50-$75 more for one.  

Like others have said I would go minimum 256gig SSD from the start. You will be amazed how fast P3D+major scenery/texture updates+modern

fly like the real thing aircraft can eat the gigs out of a drive!

Depending on what kind of overclocking you are going to do an H100 watercool is almost overkill.  If you are going to take your PC

to the limit then yes but if you are going to do a 4.3ghz to 4.5ghz OC I think an H75 or H80 will do.

My 3770K I have just below 4.4ghz....4.385ghz or something like that and a have an H55 cooling it. Rarely hear the fans spool up!

Ken

Just make sure your case can take 240mm fans.

They're 140mm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you had 2 video cards in SLI I would say yes....bigger supply or if your PS was a mid/low end brand names I would say Yes bigger supply.

But this is a GOLD standard major brand 650W PS.....I think it will do perfectly well.

But, after saying that you seem to be willing to spend major $$$ here so if you see a major brand name PS in the 750W range go for it.

I just wouldn't spend $50-$75 more for one.

Like others have said I would go minimum 256gig SSD from the start. You will be amazed how fast P3D+major scenery/texture updates+modern

fly like the real thing aircraft can eat the gigs out of a drive!

Depending on what kind of overclocking you are going to do an H100 watercool is almost overkill. If you are going to take your PC

to the limit then yes but if you are going to do a 4.3ghz to 4.5ghz OC I think an H75 or H80 will do.

My 3770K I have just below 4.4ghz....4.385ghz or something like that and a have an H55 cooling it. Rarely hear the fans spool up!

Ken

650W should be okay according to psu calculator. I'm thinking of either around 4.1ghz or 4.4ghz, but I'm not sure what are good temps. for the cpu to be getting. Air cooling for the CPU maybe? OS and prepar3d are defo going on the ssd(s).

I'm thinking of either around 4.1ghz or 4.4ghz, but I'm not sure what are good temps. for the cpu to be getting.

If 4.4ghz is as high as you will be OCing then the Corsair H100 is overkill.

CK

Any suggestions on a air/liquid cooler?

Any suggestions on a air/liquid cooler?

I'm very happy with my Noctua NH-D14.

I also agree with others who are recommending that you increase your power supply, to at least a 750W ... as it is a really bad idea to push a power supply too close to its max. Plus you may want to size it for the possibility of adding a second 780 in SLI (even if you don't currently plan on doing that).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I have almost the same rig as you are planning to buy. It will give you very good performance in Prepar3d v2. Concerning the PSU: If there is only a slight chance that you might want to add a second GTX 780 then go for a bigger power supply. This was my only mistake. I also bought a 650W PSU and even though it handles a single GPU perfectly, I cannot go for SLI.

Overclocking Haswell is always a bet (because CPUs vary widely in their overclocking abilities) and is always about temps (it is a totally different story than Sandy or Ivy). So there is never overkill when it comes to cooling Haswell. However, the most effective way to deal with temps when overclocking Haswell is not cooling but delidding the CPU and replacing the poor Intel thermal interface material with liquid metal. Just google it and you will see what I mean. But obviously there is risk when doing that and if you are lucky to get a good quality CPU and only overclock to 4.3 GHz then the H100i should be sufficient (without delidding the CPU).

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Any suggestions on a air/liquid cooler?....

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme! Looks similar the Corsair H100i but is much better.

One word about the power supply. One day you may add a second or a stronger GPU and you will reach the limit of 600 W. Better to have an oversized then an undersized power supply.

Spirit