Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

the Bottom Line/Yes or No and why buy L1011/captain sim

Artpom I would agree, there is a large chunk of fence sitters, but how do we move forward if we stay still?  If we were to use that same type of logic, why cannot I run FS9 planes in FSX?  There is still those that are die hard FS9 pilots that will not give up until there is nothing more for them. 

If you enjoy your L1011, I wish you nothing but good times, I too am keeping my FSX so that I can fly those planes that P3D won't. 

Most of us are really invested time and money into our systems, but we as the community of simmers need to understand that we are not a major player in the world of software clients.  But we are a niche, that some good software writers can earn a decent coin from, but only if we give them the landing direction.

So disagree if you like, but I will stick to my guns and will not purchase anything that is not cross platform compatible or made just for P3D.

Blue Skies, kind Sir!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, based on the things I read, I purchased my first CS product ever--the L1011. I had to, as it's my favorite airliner of all time. I've only used the NGX and CoolSky DC-9 in FSX and they're both great, so forgive me that they are all I have to compare. Here's my list of what disappoints me with the purchase from CS:

1) I'm not very happy with the VC textures. They just seem low end and the panel color just looks sorta blah. Based on what I read about CS textures being amazing, I was ready for that feeling I got the first time I loaded the NGX VC. I didn't get that feeling at all. Additionally, although the DC-9 didn't give me quite that NGX feeling, it was darn close. The panel just doesn't have that photo-real look like the NGX.

2) The sounds are simply not very good at all, IMO. Enough said.

3) I'm not sure about the flight dynamics. My dad retired from the USAF flying the KC-10. Now, that doesn't make him an expert on the Tristar, but his best buddy from the early days did fly Tristars for EAL until they folded in 1991. I was always intrigued by the Tristar, since it was the first big airliner I ever rode on, so growing up I always asked dad's buddy about flying that beast. I remember hearing about how agile the airplane was for it's size and how pilots loved it for that reason. The CS version sorta feels like a wet blanket in the air and at 50% MTOW rotates very slowly at the correct speed for the weight. I just wonder how "accurate" the flight dynamics are.

4) the textures load very slow. The other two products I mentioned have high resolution textures as well and have nowhere near the load time on my computer.

5) Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I have an issue with the a/p IAS climb mode. After take off and manually flying the airplane until flaps were up, I engaged the autopilot at around 190 kts. I had the speed set to 250 knots and selected IAS climb mode. The airplane continued to climb, but locked onto the speed I was at when selecting IAS climb mode. I assumed the airplane would adjust pitch until reaching the selected speed. I had to manually adjust pitch until the airplane reached 250 kts. I then selected IAS climb mode again and the airplane continued to climb at 250 kts. Again, this could be accurate or it could be something I did wrong.

6) Not having enough control over VC lighting is a deal breaker. Flying at night with the panel flood lights on is not good.

Again, this was not meant to be a dig on CS products, just my initial opinion. Not very happy spending $55 bucks on this.

So, the bottom line is I really want to this product, but I don't. The VC is my primary concern. At 60% zoom, the text looks awful. Can't say that about the other two products I use. I can deal with the IAS climb issue if that's accurate. Sounds like the sounds can be replaced, so I suppose I can live with that, even though this thing was fairly expensive. I can't live with the limited control I have over VC lighting.

• Upvote 1

Well, based on the things I read, I purchased my first CS product ever--the L1011. I had to, as it's my favorite airliner of all time. I've only used the NGX and CoolSky DC-9 in FSX and they're both great, so forgive me that they are all I have to compare. Here's my list of what disappoints me with the purchase from CS:

1) I'm not very happy with the VC textures. They just seem low end and the panel color just looks sorta blah. Based on what I read about CS textures being amazing, I was ready for that feeling I got the first time I loaded the NGX VC. I didn't get that feeling at all. Additionally, although the DC-9 didn't give me quite that NGX feeling, it was darn close. The panel just doesn't have that photo-real look like the NGX.

2) The sounds are simply not very good at all, IMO. Enough said.

3) I'm not sure about the flight dynamics. My dad retired from the USAF flying the KC-10. Now, that doesn't make him an expert on the Tristar, but his best buddy from the early days did fly Tristars for EAL until they folded in 1991. I was always intrigued by the Tristar, since it was the first big airliner I ever rode on, so growing up I always asked dad's buddy about flying that beast. I remember hearing about how agile the airplane was for it's size and how pilots loved it for that reason. The CS version sorta feels like a wet blanket in the air and at 50% MTOW rotates very slowly at the correct speed for the weight. I just wonder how "accurate" the flight dynamics are.

4) the textures load very slow. The other two products I mentioned have high resolution textures as well and have nowhere near the load time on my computer.

5) Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I have an issue with the a/p IAS climb mode. After take off and manually flying the airplane until flaps were up, I engaged the autopilot at around 190 kts. I had the speed set to 250 knots and selected IAS climb mode. The airplane continued to climb, but locked onto the speed I was at when selecting IAS climb mode. I assumed the airplane would adjust pitch until reaching the selected speed. I had to manually adjust pitch until the airplane reached 250 kts. I then selected IAS climb mode again and the airplane continued to climb at 250 kts. Again, this could be accurate or it could be something I did wrong.

6) Not having enough control over VC lighting is a deal breaker. Flying at night with the panel flood lights on is not good.

Again, this was not meant to be a dig on CS products, just my initial opinion. Not very happy spending $55 bucks on this.

So, the bottom line is I really want to this product, but I don't. The VC is my primary concern. At 60% zoom, the text looks awful. Can't say that about the other two products I use. I can deal with the IAS climb issue if that's accurate. Sounds like the sounds can be replaced, so I suppose I can live with that, even though this thing was fairly expensive. I can't live with the limited control I have over VC lighting.

In a nutshell:

It stinks according to this text. No buy a.t.m.

EDIT:

I will not buy this, ever. nevermind, never saw a real L-1011 flying so no big deal.

Why on earth so many guys are comparing CS to PMDG, Maddog, CoolSky or so?

This is like comparing Renault Clio to Aston Martin :lol:, and everyone knows that this kind or comparison makes no sense.

CS always was and still is developer who uses many FSX native systems, their systems representation is at highest point - middle level, with 'standard' set at low level.

CS L1011 is best plane made by them so far, and that is a message.

Nobody said that they came closer to PMDG ...

• Upvote 1

In a nutshell:

It stinks according to this text. No buy a.t.m.

No, it really doesn't stink, it just isn't perfect. Nothing is. Personally I don't bother to fly the holy PMDG 777 until they fix trim/FBW logic, currently it seems just weird to hand fly, certainly not something FAA would certify for commercial ops. 

No, it really doesn't stink, it just isn't perfect. Nothing is. 

You are right.

I just experienced it with the Wilco Feelthere Vol.2 EVO

No, it really doesn't stink, it just isn't perfect. Nothing is. Personally I don't bother to fly the holy PMDG 777 until they fix trim/FBW logic, currently it seems just weird to hand fly, certainly not something FAA would certify for commercial ops. 

Although I'm going to take a wild guess that there are a lot more deficits in realism on the CS L1011 then there are on the PMDG 777, probably a lot more, I wholeheartedly agree that the FBW logic on the 777 is a major issue.  I tend to hold off a while on new releases, and when I heard about that error I immediately made the decision that this was not a plane that I wanted to buy until it was fixed.  To me that's the kind of thing that is a brick wall of a showstopper.   If you get a 777 you want it to fly like a 777, not an Airbus.  I don't see how the 777 FBW would make me more inclined to be more forgiving of other planes such as the CS L-1011, PMDG's critical error doesn't give others more of a pass; but I definitely am glad to see that someone else shares my point of view on that particular flaw,  and that there are actually others who think issues like this are absolutely critical, few and far between as they may be.  Sorry for the aside. 

Dear Mr. Artpom,

The reason so many people compare CS to PMDG is because.......THEY ARE COMPETITORS!!!!! I rarely post on these forums for this reason--people get so defensive. My post in no way slammed CS, it was simply a comparison to a product that is almost 3 years old and only costs 10 bucks more. That's all. Maybe the L-1011 is the best release from CS, but that does not change the fact that it isn't very good. I suppose if you're used to F level work from a student and that student eventually gets a C, then the world is happy. Alright, dumb analogy but you get the point.

I'm simply saying it is not a 55 US dollar product...period.

Furthermore, I'm not really talking about realism, I'm talking about the way the thing looks and sounds. I could care less about systems, long as the A/P is accurate.

I wouldn't be complaining if this thing cost me 15 bucks.

I wouldn't be complaining if this thing cost me 15 bucks.

What does 15 bucks give one in western world anyway? All I could get for that in local Pizzeria is one pizza and a drink. I think Tristar is certainly worth more than one meal that gives you satisfaction for a couple of hours only.

Not to even mention millions of people who waste such sums into eating trash at Mcdonalds every day...

Inflation makes all product prices to go up, there's no reason why FS addons shouldn't follow the trend. 

THEY ARE COMPETITORS!!!!!

Not when it comes to classic jets such as Tristar. For someone who is only looking for a classic jets PMDG currently has nothing to offer. 

Which is exactly why I bought the Tristar. The CoolSky DC-9 is phenomenal and costs 5 bucks less, so I guess that level of quality is what I was looking for.

I've flown it 3 times.  It doesn't give me the satisfaction that the NGX does but due to different reasons.  Face it, I'm spoiled.  I've been flying magenta line stuff for too long and even though I could program an F-16A INS 25 years ago, I'm lost on the damn CIVA INS.  My fault, not theirs.  I like the DC-9 Classic, but those systems rival PMDG in my opinion - maybe even some things are better from a realism standpoint.  But the CS unit DOES NOT SUCK.  It meets the feel of a classic jet lost between two technologies; VOR and FMC.  Kinda in-between.  5 years ago you'd have been singing it's praises like it was Wilbur Wright reincarnated.  I feel like I got my $ worth, but I got $10 off with a coupon code too.

OMGOSH I WANT THIS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD, LET ME TELL YOU EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE INCLUDE A 2D PANEL, THAT IS WHAT I REALLY WANT ON THE CS L1011, OMG IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL BUT I CANT STAND TO FLY IN VC UGGHHHHHHHHHHHH I CANT I CANT STAND VC FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE RUNWAY IS SO ZOOMED OUT WHEN FLYING IN VC FEEL LIKE TUNNEL VISION OR SOMETHING LOL.  OMGOSH LET ME STRESS LET ME STRESS TO YOU THAT I THINK ABOUT THIS PLANE EVERYDAY ALLDAY LIKE LUSTING OVER A WOMAN. OMGOSH I AM GETTING IT NOMATTER THE PRICE, BUT AAAAAHHHHHHHH ALL I REALLY WANT WITH IT IN ITS CURRENT STATE IS A 2D PANEL. I INSTALLED FSX JUST FOR THIS AND THIS ONLY, I HAVE QW757 AND CLS DC-10 AND FLIGHTDECK MD-80 IN FSX CARRIED OVER FROM FS2004 UNLESS FSX INSTALLER. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IM WAITING ON BUT IM SOON TO GET IT, I SEE IN THE CS FORUMS THAT SOMEONE FROM THERE PRODUCED THE CS 777 2D PANEL OUT OF KINDNESS, BUT I HOPE A 2D PANEL WILL COME SOME TIME SOON OR WHENEVER FOR THIS, BECAUSE AGAIN THIS, THE CS L-1011 IS THE ONLY REASON WHY I INSTALLED FSX BACK, EVEN THOUGH I REALLY DONT LIKE FSX, IM SO USE TO FS2004 AND ITS REALISM AND REFLECTION IN STANDARDS TO THE REAL WORLD IT SEEMS NOT OVER BEAUTIFIED LIKE FSX,..FSX LANDINGS ON ALL YOUTUBE VIDEOS INSIDE THE COCKPIT OR VC WHEN WATCHING DON'T KISS THE RUNWAY, THEY DROP...HARD.  FS2004 LANDINGS KISS AND CAN HOLD OFF FOR SOME TIME BEFORE KISS JUST LIKE A REAL WORLD PASSENGER OR OUTSIDE OBSERVER WOULD SEE, FSX WHEN YOU HOLD OFF YOU FLY BACK INTO THE AIR AND WHEN YOU COME DOWN YOU RAILROAD RIGHT INTO THE RUNWAY, FSX YOU THINK YOUR ABOUT TO TOUCH DOWN BY LOOKING AT YOUR RADIO ALTIMETER AND CUT POWER ONLY TO FEEL LIKE YOUR DROPPING 20 ADDITIONAL FEET TO THE RUNWAY. UGH CANT STRESS ENOUGH HOW MUCH I WANT THIS AND THERE'S ALSO A GOOD CHANCE I WILL GET THE JUST FLIGHT ONE'S TOO SINCE I HEAR AND SEE THAT THEY ARE UPDATING IT AND PLUS THAT IT HAS 2D PANELS, WAYY TOOO GOOOO JUST FLIGHT ON THAT DESCISION FOR THAT DOES MAKE OR BREAK A DESCISION WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SORRY I LOVE FS2004 SO MUCH, BUT I DO TOO LIKE FSX ALSO, BUT IT JUST CANT CONVINCE ME TO FS2004'S PRESTIGE IN IT'S PERFECT MIX OF REALISM AND REALISTIC BEAUTY, WHEN FSX COMES TO MIND YOU THINK BLUE BLUE AND GREEN PARADISE EVERWHERE THATS UNREAL TINT AND CONTRAST PLUS IT FEELS BIGGER, WHEN FS2004 COMES TO MIND, THEN ITS REALITY WITH A GOOD FAST SPEED OF FS2002. BUT PLEASE LET ME STOP IM SO INTO THE TRISTAR EVER SINCE SEEING A FEW SECOND CLIP OF ONE ON HISTORY CHANNELS THE MAN WHO PREDICTED 9/11 OR GROUNDED ON 911 ONE OF THE TWO PLUS...PLUS STEPHEN KING'S LANGOLIERS, I USE TO FIND THE TRISTAR SO UGLY AND FOREIGN LOOKING DURING THOSE TIMES 2004 OR 2005 TIME RANGES AND IT EVEN LOOKED SO COMPLEX TO FLY JUST FROM ITS OUTSIDE APPEARENCE, IT EVEN LOOKED RUSSIAN OR SOMETHING, BUT THOSE WINGS AND ITS BODY WERE SO UGLY TO ME DURING THOSE TIMES, KEEPING IN MIND HARDLY EVER SEEING IT BESIDES FROM THOSE TWO ON TV AND DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHO MADE IT OR IT'S NAME, YES IM YOUNGER PERHAPS LOL. BUT IT IS SO SEXY SYSTEM WISE AND APPEARENCE AND ITS CAPABILITIES AND THE LIKE! I LOVE IT AND THE A300 SO MUCH (I LOVE THE SSW A310 WITH HNAC MODEL /PSS 757/AEROSIM L1011 AND CLS DC-10 APPEARENTLY ALSO TOO AS I JUST GOT IT LOL) AS BOTH ARE GREAT OLDIES!! BUT YES PLEASE CS OR SOMEONE WITH CS PLEASE SEE THIS AND PPLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEAAASE ADD 2D PANEL IT WOULD MAKE IT COMPLETE. ALSO MORE SEXY WING VIEW POSITIONS OTHER THAN JUST THAT 1 WING VIEW TALKIN ABOUT A PERMANENT RIGHT SEAT FLYER LOL. I JUST CAN'T GET OVER THAT WE FINALLY HAVE AN EXCELLENT REPRESENTAION OF THE TRISTAR AND ITS GLORY, FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS SO GOOD EVEN THE FLYING TAIL IS MODELED FROM WHAT I CAN SEE YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! IM CRAZY I KNOW OMGOSH PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM NOT ANGRY OR MAD FOR USING CAPS IM JUST SO EXCITED AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE Y'ALL KEEP TALKING THERE'S HARDLY ANY MORE CONVOS GOING ON ABOUT THIS MACHINE OR THE LIKE????

Omgosh I want this sooo bad, let me tell you everything!!

Please please PLEASE  include a 2D panel, that is what I really want on the Cs L1011, omg it's so beautiful but I can't stand to fly in the VC ughh I can't stand VC flying! The runway is so zoomed ot when flying in the VC, it feels like tunnel vision or something LOL. OMGosh let me stress to you that I think about this plane everyday and all-day, it's like lusting over a woman! OMGosh I am getting it no matter what the price, but ahh all I really want with it in its current state is a 2D panel. I installed FSX just for this and this only, I have the QW757 and the CLS DC-10 and flightdeck MD-80 for FSX ported over from FS9. I don't know what I'm waiting on, but I'm going to get it soon. I see in the CS forums that someone from there produced a 2D panel out of kindness, but I hope a 2D panel will come some time soon or whenever for this, because again the CS L1011 is the only reason why I installed FSX back, even though I really don't like FSX. I'm so used to FS9 and it's realism and reflection in standards to the real world, as FSX seems over-beautified to me. FSX landings on all Youtube videos inside the cockpit/VC when watching don't kiss the runway, they drop...hard. FS9 landings kiss and can hold off for some time before the nose gear kisses the earth just as a real world passenger or outsied observer would see. When you hold off in FSX you fly back into the air, and when you come down you railroad right in the runway. In FSX, you think you're about to touch down by looking at your radio altimeter and cut power, only to feel like you're dropping an additional 20 feet to the runway. Ugh I can't stress enough how much I want this, and there's also a good chance I will get the JF one too, since I hear and see that they are updating it and it has 2D panels! Way to go Just Flight on that decision, for that is a make or break decision with me! I'm sorry I love FS9 so much, but I like FSX as well, but it just can't convince me to FS9's prestige in it's perfect mix of realism and realistic beauty. WHen FSX comes to mind you think blue, blue, and green. Paradise everywhere, with unrealistic tint and contrast, plus it feels bigger. When FS9 comes to mind, then it's reality with the good fast speed of FS2002. But please, let me stop. I'm so into the TriStar ever since seeing a few second clip of one on the History Channel. I used to find the TriStar so ugly and foreign-looking a few years back, and it even looked complex to fly just from it's outside appearance. It looked Russian or something, and those wings and body were so ugly to me, but keep in mind I hardly ever saw it besides those two clips from TV, and I didn't even know who made it, or what the plane was called. Yes, I'm younger perhaps LOL. But it is so sexy system-wise, and appearance and it's capabilities as well!  I love it and the A300 so much. as both are great oldies! But yes please CS (or someone who works for CS) please see this and please add a 2D panel, it would make the package complete. Also, add some more sexy wing views other than just the single view we have, talk about a permenant right flyer seat, LOL! I just can't get over that we finally have an excellent representation of the TriStar and it's glory, finally yes!! It's so good, even the flying tail is modeled from what I can see. I'm crazy I know OMGosh please someone help me!!! I'm not angry or mad for using caps I'm just soo excited!!!

Please y'all keep talking, there's hardly any more talk about this machine.

Above post de-capped and re-grammarized.

That being done, why do you prefer 2D panels? CS usually gives a few, but most companies have been phasing out 2D panels for quite a few now. 

• Upvote 1

Typically IAS mode will hold the speed when engaged and climb at that speed until it reaches the preset altitude. Climb rate is based on engine power.  Once altitude is reached it will either hold the IAS speed depending on Throttle mode or will level off and speed will increase.  I don't have the L1011 but this is the normal way this mode works in that era of autopilot.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this