Sign in to follow this  
teopereira

What is this ND showing?

That might be Airports, VOR's or other similar items.

Not to go off topic a bit, but thanks also for sharing that article. It was a really enjoyable read.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Terrain.

You can see it on the left of the display.  It's showing:

Airports

Terrain

[Hi Alt Filter]

[Low Alt Filter]

TCAS OFF

Kyle Rodgers

Terrain.

You can see it on the left of the display.  It's showing:

Airports

Terrain

[Hi Alt Filter]

[Low Alt Filter]

TCAS OFF

wow... didn't know it was possible to filter the terrain. What is the purpose of this filter?

wow... didn't know it was possible to filter the terrain. What is the purpose of this filter?

It's not a filter as such, the numbers indicate the maximum and minimum terrain values displayed.

Aren't fixed obstacles also included in the database (at least, in real life)?

What is the purpose of this filter?

It's not a filter as such, the numbers indicate the maximum and minimum terrain values displayed.

Joe answered it for me, mostly.

Basically, it's not a user configurable filter. It's the system filtering the display so that it only shows terrain data that's relevant to the crew. By relevant to the crew, I mean objects/terrain that may affect the flight.

Think about it:

You could set the system up to display a TOPO-like map at all times, but it would clutter the display:

Maps-for-free_Sierra_Nevada.png

Peaks mode only takes the elevations that are relevant to the flight. As an example, even if I was flying over that mountain range, if I was 20,000 feet above the highest peak, it really doesn't affect me. If I was down within a 3,000 feet of the peaks, it might, so the display will just show the peaks that might be close. Again, in an effort to keep the display clean.

Kyle Rodgers

Aren't fixed obstacles also included in the database (at least, in real life)?

Our newer jets include man-made obstacles in the database, the older ones don't.

I thought I saw the same on our displays a while ago (jn real life), thanks Joe!