Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

Great start but bugged

Alabeo makes a great product and I am glad I purchased the Cutlas. The bugs right off the bat are:

1. The knob for the #1 com radio turns the frequency for the active not the in-active.

2. Flying in icing or close to icing conditions carberator icing takes place way too quickly. Have to fly with the carberator heat on at all condtions of flight. As a real pilot I haver never experienced winter flying where I had to fly with carb heat on at all times. Even at high RPMs.

Thank you Alabeo for offeirng a nice product. I look forward to the service release that fixes these issues.

Kevin

Mmm, I wouldn't hold my breath Kevin. Apart from putting right an 'arse about face' prop on the Staggerwing, I can't recall them getting too involved with correcting details like that. Price point and all that. Could be horribly wrong though.

I'm teetering on the edge of buying it and your being glad you purchased it might just have done the trick.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Oh dear. I went over the edge. :rolleyes:  Nice little plane for £13. Flies right, so it seems to me, comparing it to A2A's 172.

Oh, if anyone wants the Cutlass yoke logo repositioned PM me with an email addy. That was the first thing I noticed! :blink:

Yes! You caved Ron, looking forward to those awesome repaints of yours ;). Hardly by accident, it seems most of my favourite FSX paints are made by you.

I really don't see me doing any paints for this one I'm afraid. It's nice enough, but I got C172ed out with the A2A.

Still, never say 'never' eh? :wink:

There really is not comparison between this and the A2A 172. Both are solid in their own right. Cutlas has a few issues to sort, but that is what service packs are for... LOL

Kevin

I've just flown the Cutlass and the A2A 172 back to back and my goodness, what a difference! :blink:

Alabeo makes a great product and I am glad I purchased the Cutlas. The bugs right off the bat are:

1. The knob for the #1 com radio turns the frequency for the active not the in-active.

That's an easy fix, drag the aircraft.cfg into Notepad and find:

[Radios]

// Radio Type=availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope

Com.1=1, 0

Change it to:

[Radios]

// Radio Type=availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope

Com.1=1, 1

I didn't care for what seemed unrealistic yaw damping and rudder over-sensitivity to me. I also made the following modifications to mine which, whether realistic or not, made the airplane a lot more fun to fly IMHO (make a backup of the aircraft.cfg first):

[flight_tuning]

yaw_stability                =  1.5 //1

rudder_effectiveness        =  0.5 //1

[contact_points]

//point.0 = 1,   4.4,   0.0, -4.25, 1500, 0, 0.687, 30, 0.2953, 1.9223, 0.8,  3.0,  5.0, 0, 170, 170

point.0 = 1,   4.4,   0.0, -4.25, 1500, 0, 0.687, 20, 0.2953, 1.9223, 0.8,  3.0,  5.0, 0, 170, 170

Flights made with the Cutlass show up in the FSX logbook as "C172" which makes it hard to differentiate between... well, just about every other aircraft I fly. To remedy that I changed:

[General]

atc_model=C172

to:

[General]

atc_model=C172RG

(caution, ATC may call you "experimental" after this mod, don't know, didn't test it, don't care - 121.5 mHz stops that :smile: )

I made some new rear seat VC camera views. Add these between [CameraDefinition.003] and [CameraDefinition.0] (or anywhere I think) if desired:

[CameraDefinition.004]

Title = "Rear Seat Left"

Guid = {7936aaf1-ffc0-a250-2290-3ed97f13f8b4}

Origin = Virtual Cockpit

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

Track = None

ShowAxis = FALSE

AllowZoom = TRUE

InitialZoom = 0.3

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ZoomPanScalar = 0.75

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = TRUE

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

Category = Cockpit

PitchPanRate=20

HeadingPanRate=60

InitialXyz=-0.059, -0.150, -0.635

InitialPbh=19.286, 0.000, -40.474

[CameraDefinition.005]

Title = "Rear Seat Right"

Guid = {e011fc74-3848-8381-b5f8-f5ee80c1df08}

Origin = Virtual Cockpit

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

Track = None

ShowAxis = FALSE

AllowZoom = TRUE

InitialZoom = 0.3

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ZoomPanScalar = 0.75

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = TRUE

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

Category = Cockpit

PitchPanRate=20

HeadingPanRate=60

InitialXyz=0.509, -0.168, -0.744

InitialPbh=2.950, 0.000, 47.527

Screenshots from a flight from KBZN Bozeman, MT to 6S5 Hamilton, MT I did last night if anyone's interested:

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/kbzn_6S5.html

Jim

Thanks Jim, that is why we have these user forums so experienced people can pass along their fixes to issues that may or may not be fixed by the developer.

Mike

I was wondering if there is a way to make the ADF knob to work.   You have to dial the numbers by clicking on the screen.   I would prefer to use the knob like the other radios.   This is probably a hard coded issue but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Mike

Jim

Thanks for the fixes.

Nice series of images.

Is that FSX?

Russ

Many may fly and some are rewarded

handsomely, but the wings of gold of a

United States Naval Aviator mean more

than flying. It is dearly bought, requires

sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Thanks guys, no problem I'm glad you found them useful - and for the record I am not an FDE guru by any means, I wish Bernt Stolle would take an interest in this bird but it's really not a bad flying aircraft just the way it is.

Mike, the ADF is a 2D gauge sitting beneath the 3D knob, it's possible one could add some clickspots to the 2D gauge beneath the 3D knob but it may be that the knob would obscure them rendering them useless. In any case the knob wouldn't have an animated rotation, that's something that would need to be done in 3DS Max by whoever has the source files. I'll give the 2D gauge a try and see what happens.

Russ, yes those shots are from FSX with the DX10 fixer thingy.

Jim

From the Facebook page:

C172RG CUTLASS II FSX/P3D - SERVICE PACK 20140130

Released January 30th, 2014, 1630GMT

Modifications:
- Added rudder and ailerons trim center indicators.
- Fixed COMM1 STBY/knob issue.
- Transponder ON/OFF button fixed.

You don t need this update if you downloaded the aircraft after January 30th, 2013, 2030MT

Additionally from my own observation:

-some changes to the [contact points] (not what I posted above, the main gear seems less compressed in the sim)
-static pitch adjustment in aircraft.cfg (tail of aircraft sits a bit higher parked on the ground)
-removed indented bezel area from around suction gauge
-updated .air file
-updated GAUGE_C172RG.CAB (probably the transponder on/off button fix)

Jim