Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

VoxATC, has anyone tired this?

I just signed up and worked though one of the included demo's. The only thing I can say is WOW! Talk about adding to the realism! That program understood ever word I spoke in to the microphone. Not one hiccup. Something of a learning curve, but not anymore then anything else I suppose. Just remembering the order of things, but for real pilots, I'd think that it would be quite a bit easier. There were a couple of things I didn't like, or at least couldn't figure out how to do. I have ActiveCamera installed and haven't figured out a good taxi view position. The default outside view worked okay. Also, once you disable the built in ATC, you no longer can request a progressive taxi (pink lines). So, without a map of the airport (KMCI), I got a little turned around.But, I suppose a map of whatever AP I was at would work, huh.. :-)Anyway, I suggest if you have any interest at all in speaking your ATC, try it. Pretty durn cool.Dondo

I tried it too-and there are some very impressive things about this program.What I didn't like is the terminolgy wasn't exactly correct-not the procedures or wording at least I use in the US. The program expects you to say back that terminology-usually word for word or it doesn't understand.Second thing are the robot voices. No way around it I am sure-but they do destroy a lot of realism.I am 50/50 on it-will try it more though.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

well I tried to install the demo but it said that "Cannot detect FS" :-roll I even put the installer in the FS2004 root folder but still it couldn't detect the sim. FS2004 works fine though and is in the Windows XP registry... weird.Jani

Have you renamed the "Flight Simulator 9" folder to "FS2004" or some other name? Have you moved "Flight Simulator 9" to a different folder or drive? Either of these can interfere with the installation. I am not sure about this last tip but if you are using the no-cd exe file that might also interfere, not sure if the installation program is looking for the "Flight Simulator 9" folder or a specific file in that folder.Hope this helps,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I've been using it for a month now. Gets better the more you use it, especially when you start flying around an area you are familiar with. You can set up your local IFR flights to use a standard departure (SID) which will be given by name, you will then be instructed to join the airway by name (ie "victor one eight two") or fly direct to a navaid, once again by name. There are still a few areas regarding non-tower airport use that need some tweaking but overall I find it very realistic. You don't get the option of saying some of the abbreviated phrases like in real life, you have to say the whole thing, ie. if you are given a ground frequency of 121.7 you can't say "ground on point seven", not a big deal though. Much better prep or practice for real flying than hunting for the correct number to press after reading through the selections.Dondo, for making your way to the runway after a taxi assignment you can go to "ctrl-s" to get an overhead view, locate the runway you are assigned. Jot down the letters given in your taxi instruction on a notepad and look for the taxiway signs, these won't tell you which way to turn but if you looked at the overhead view you will have a pretty good idea of which way to head.I'm lovin' it,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, I installed the program last evening, and played with it for over 3 hours. In the long run I got it operate as advertised, however, before I would plunk down over 30 US dollars, I would have to fly it alot more than I have, in different areas. (am I missing something here?)The voices are a bit too robotic, however if this program learnes as it goes, they should get better. Sometimes you just can't get a response from ATC at all, but perhaps that will get better also.There is always going to be dispute on phrasing between different pilots, as one follows the lingo by the book and others desire to add their own 'special' touches and flair . . . go figure.Again, an interesting program, and in time, perhaps I may buy it, but not just yet. I will have to spend alot more time with it to make it worth over 30 bucks.Best to all,Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest TDHenderson

How does VoxATC handle the AI traffic. Any better or worse than the default MS ATC? Do you still have A/C bunched up on approach and separation issues?It does sound interesting. Thank you all for your comments so far. The demo is in my area (KOMA) so I may give it a try this weekend.Regards,Trevor

Guest RsZ

Im getting "Fatal error,disable VoxATC" when trying to enable it.I dont know what im doing wrong?I've disabled the default ATC system,ai traffic and i got the flight plan already loaded (VoxATC Kansas City Intl to Eppley VFR.FLT).Im working with WinXP SP2.Anyone got the same problem?Thx

forgetting about the voice recognition aspect for a minute, im really curious to know just how well the vector guidance works, especially regarding approaches. Does it give good approach vectors, are you able to do different types of approaches, etc?Dave

Guest B52Drivr

Dave,The program seemed to point me in all the proper directions, however last evening my main concern was just to get it to function and for me to somewhat get use to the program.I'll take a more serious look at the vectoring and such this evening and try to put it through it's paces.Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest DannyW

>How does VoxATC handle the AI traffic. Any better or worse>than the default MS ATC? Do you still have A/C bunched up on>approach and separation issues?>>It does sound interesting. Thank you all for your comments so>far. The demo is in my area (KOMA) so I may give it a try>this weekend.>>Regards,>TrevorI have heard that it does not handle AI Traffic at all! That would be a huge limitation. Can anybody confirm this?

>>I have heard that it does not handle AI Traffic at all! That>would be a huge limitation. Can anybody confirm this?Yes traffic percent is to be set at 0, so you are alone up there, not much need for ATC then :)OHN

Guest secks

>>I have heard that it does not handle AI Traffic at all! That>would be a huge limitation. Can anybody confirm this?>Correct, although it does generate chatter. I guess you just have to use your imagination :). I'm not sold on this product yet, since the AI thing is a real hangup in my book. If we could only combine VoxATC with Radar Contact 4 ...

You will hear other traffic over the radio, you can also set the program so that it will vector you around traffic. While on approach you will be given speed assignments which is a way that ATC will sequence arrivals at an airport so the overall affect is very realistic. What you will miss is seeing other traffic in and around airports as well as on the ground. Seeing traffic around the airport (at a great distance) and on the ground are the only places you want to see traffic when flying in real life anyway. As a real pilot I will take the increased realism of the ATC over plane watching anyday. I've only had one instance in 18 years of flying where I had another aircraft get close enough I could see how many people were inside, just fine if that doesn't happen again :)Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hi Zane,Sounds intereresting. Does the program have enoygh of a database to have intersections and/or LOM/OM names for different approaches? You mentioned speed controls above and wondereed if they were used with respect to fixes? Of course, that would require approach plates which is also more real-life.Thanks, Bruce.