Sign in to follow this  
vitea

How to change Runway Surface ?

I found AP957320.BGL in the Scenery\Afri folder, I changed it to Concrete sufrace, still no reaction, I also tried to create a Tarmac suface on the Runway, but nope itdoesnt give up, but neithr amI, still trying

I found AP957320.BGL in the Scenery\Afri folder, I changed it to Concrete sufrace, still no reaction, I also tried to create a Tarmac suface on the Runway, but nope itdoesnt give up, but neithr amI, still trying

This reads like you are trying to edit the default file. That is a bad idea.

The process is to create a new file and place it in an active scenery folder with higher priority, as seen in the Scenery Library,  than the default files.

If you have compiled an airport with ADE and replaced the original AP957320.BGL then you have lost all of the other airports in that file.

Plus, any addon with higher priority will still trump the file if it is in Scenery\Afri.

Before going any further you should read the ADE manual and learn how to manage the files properly or you are only going to make things worse.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I did a backup of that file, also strange is that AI aircraft on touchdown the smoke effect works, but on me it doesnt...

When you ADE, AFX, or the AFCAD (dangerous) they copy/import the data from stock/default AP files. You then save to a project folder (in ADE's work flow) you create and then your final save or compile should be to a .bgl file named usually for the ICAO code plus some kind of unique name (such as ADE or AFX included in the file label.

To find an airport in ADE from stock it is just File\Open stock airport, enter the ICAO code, highlight the name in the list, and ADE will locate the afd AP type file in the continent file.

AP stock type files are a rectangular geographic tile area that usually contain multiple airports. As Joe stated it is dangerous to edit these. Occasionally some very advanced designers use this mostly payware but I have had freeware airports that included an AP modification that adversely affected either all airports in the AP file or corrupted it completely, or had an effect of adversely placing scenery objects in other parts of the world.

When you compile your own custom labeled .bgl just put it in a folder you create such as\HKJK AFD/scenery/ and place that folder high (nearest number 1) on the FS scenery library list so it will dominate. If you are modifying an existing afd type .bgl file already in its own folder then place it in that folder changing the original .bgl extension with a rename to .bgx to0 make the original add-on .bgl file ineffective. That makes it easy to return to the original.

Joe:

Thanks for the tip on the surface type relating to roll resistance. Is the ASPHALT choice as used in many stock airports more appropriate for texture and rolling resistance in this case?

What is the width of this runway, as reported by AFCAD/ADE?  And yes, asphalt is a good choice, but so is concrete.

The stock runway (default) has Bituminous visual surface with a concrete runway line 6/24 that is 148' in width. The visual surface is what the aircraft interact with causing the bouncy or rough effect and drag(?). Any airport editor makes fixing this easy if done properly. From what I seen of your screen shots while they were posted, the scenery you are using has a photo image style surface that will lay over the top of any airport file (AFCAD) you or anyone else uses and that should be considered normal. You will not be able to change the appearance of that, however, that image does not have any interaction with any aircraft only the underlying airport file does.

As Joe wrote, it is a very bad idea to edit the stock airport files. If there is a AFCAD file for the scenery you have installed, open it with ADE by: file / Open Airport from Bgl and navigate to that airport file. Then Lists / Runways, click to highlight 6/24 then click on Edit. In the Properties window change Bituminous to either CONCRETE or ASPHALT (your choice) and close the properties window. Since the black centerline is already concrete I would use concrete. Ctrl S to save your work so far. Next in ADE you need to goto Tools / Load Stock Data and put a check in Comm Frequencies, Navaids and Waypoints and Approaches. Click 'Import', once that is done save your work again. Note - If the Addon scenery you are using does not have its own taxi signs you can go back to Tools / Load Stock Data and import them later,

If there is no AFCAD associated with this scenery other that the default file open it by: File / Open Stock Airport and follow the same steps as above except ADE will automatically import everything for you in which case you may need to manually remove some or all of the default building and taxi signs.

If there is a AFCAD supplied with your scenery you should remove it or simply create a new folder in your sceneries (scenery name) / scenery folder - such as AF backup and drag the AFCAD into that folder. Next, in ADE, File / Compile Airport, in the Save As window that opens navigate to your sceneries (scenery name) / scenery folder then click save.

If you used the default airport then you can compile it to the sceneries (scenery name) / scenery folder or compile it in Addon Scenery / Scenery.

Either way, there is no reason why your changes will not work unless you have a duplicate(s) AFCAD(s) somewhere. You can use AFCAD 2.21 or ScanAFD to check for duplicates. With AFCAD when you click file / open airport and enter HKJK you should only see two in the window that opens, 1 addon and 1 stock. Any more than that is a problem.

Finally, from reading your post#18 you may have already accomplished all that can be done except figuring out your missing tire smoke.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Mel

When I save it, it creates a file called HKJK_ADE9_VP.ad3, its not a BGL, what do I do with it and where should I place it ? 

When I save it, it creates a file called HKJK_ADE9_VP.ad3, its not a BGL, what do I do with it and where should I place it ? 

That is the ADE work file that stores a lot of info, like guide lines for example, that are of no use to FS.

To get a working .bgl you have to compile the airport, not save it.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

In ADE when you choose Open Airport or Recent Files it looks for ad2 or ad3 project files, the internal project format for ADE. Save Airport and Save Airport As are for saving the internal project files. Open Airport Direct From bgl and Open Stock Airport open those .bgl files turning them into ADE's internal project format.

Similar rules apply to some of the importing tools.

ADE's ad type files contain code specific to ADE that are not placed in the compiled .bgl files. When reediting a file it is always best to open the ad project files so as not to lose any of the saved ADE functionality.

Your compiled .bgl if started from default scenery or if you used ADE to create a new scenery should be placed in a preferably new folder of highest priority (near position 1) in the FS Scenery Library settings. If you are modifying an add-on airport (Open Direct from Airport BGL) after saving the project ad file in your created project folder, place the compiled bgl file in that add-on airport folder. Rename the bgl you opened in that add-on folder to bgx to make it ineffective to avoid conflicts. When you start FS in either case the scenery.cfg wile in FS will be reindexed.

As Joe wrote, that is a file used only by ADE and should not be placed in FS9 anywhere - no reason to do that. I keep every ADE airport I have ever worked on stored on my external HD in a file called "ADE airport projects", all 1804 of them. That way every time you click on 'Open Airport' ADE can take you to your defined storage location.

I wrote in post #22:

"Next, in ADE, File / Compile Airport, in the Save As window that opens navigate to your sceneries (scenery name) / scenery folder then click save."

so, . . . in ADE click on 'File' (upper left) in the drop down menu that opens click on 'Compile Airport' and in the Save As window that opens navigate to where you want the bgl. to be compile - as per Rons recommendations above then click 'Save'.

Regards to all,

Mel