Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Introducing World2XPlane...

observations on the brandenburg test pack: my pc is quite beefy and i had trees and buildings at max, that resulted in 7 fps. with OSM in same kind of situation (for example paris) i'd have to go to "default" setting which is lowest for the fps to jump into smooth digits again, but with your export that's different. "mega tons" results in 30+ fps for me, while 1 notch up it plummets to 13 fps. That's one observation I made in short test.

Another observation is that it indeed makes the city look much more lifelike compared to osm2xp exported city, while it is good too, but it's just bit more defined and make it look much more realistic.

Currently I don't have photoscenery for berlin, but with so dense building setting you dont really see the default ground atleast in downtown berlin. So that's not a concern for me.

Thank you Kim for trying out the scenery and reporting your findings.

If I'm understanding you correctly, if you turn down the number of objects to extreme, you get 30fps in Berlin, but if you up to "insane", then it drops to 12fps?

The sheer amount of buildings in the centre, and places like Paris will bring most computers to their knees. One of the next features I need to get in, is more intelligent LODs. So that the tiny buildings have low LOD values, and the bigger have larger. This should improve the situation somewhat.

Also, what are you observations on rural areas? How is performance there

Yeah, mega tons is the setting i have in the images, that is 3rd highest i believe in xplane. If i put it to 2nd highest, it was 13 fps and max setting 7fps. If i go lower than 3rd highest, i got about 60fps everywhere.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

@Tony,

Ya I shall check the video. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

tony perhaps it be better if you create your own video from beggining on how to get the software and how to get the exact specifications you want. 

tony perhaps it be better if you create your own video from beggining on how to get the software and how to get the exact specifications you want. 

Once we have an area to upload and share models, then I will write up a specification and some rules to follow. As for a video, firstly I barely know how to do it myself, and secondly the video link posted from xsimreviews shows it far better than I could. There are also plenty of good tutorials and videos on the net for using sketchup. 

Also, there are other tools besides sketchup, e.g. blender. 

http://marginal.org.uk/x-planescenery/hangar_tutorial/index.html

Let me suggest to avoid Blender if you don't have a good 3D skills.

I just downloaded Sketchup two days ago and in some hours I've learnt how to model a 3D building, texturing and exporting to XP. Quite easy if you have some Gimp/PS skills (basic not advanced) and pay attention to the good tutorials posted by Tonywob.

As soon as I finish to make the 3D buildings for my scenery I will start creating obj house for OSM to work with tonywob's project.

Let me suggest to avoid Blender if you don't have a good 3D skills.

I just downloaded Sketchup two days ago and in some hours I've learnt how to model a 3D building, texturing and exporting to XP. Quite easy if you have some Gimp/PS skills (basic not advanced) and pay attention to the good tutorials posted by Tonywob.

As soon as I finish to make the 3D buildings for my scenery I will start creating obj house for OSM to work with tonywob's project.

I would agree.  Blender is a very good tool, but the learning curve is very steep and from the sounds of what is needed, Sketchup is more than enough.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Today I had a chance to try your demo scenery file.

Car_C337_v10_54.jpg

Car_C337_v10_56.jpg

Car_C337_v10_58.jpg

Car_C337_v10_60.jpg

Car_C337_v10_66.jpg

Car_C337_v10_67.jpg

It's looking very good already. There is one thing I wonder though. Would it be possible to add some sort of urban texture in areas that are tagged as urban? Because without a photo scenery underlay like in these shots it looks so sterile with lots of uniform grass.

• Upvote 2

@Tony,

I just checked Gmap. Looks good , you can generate the Mesh etc.... I feel if you haven't checked then please do so may turn out helpful.

It's looking very good already. There is one thing I wonder though. Would it be possible to add some sort of urban texture in areas that are tagged as urban?

Have you tried UrbanMaxx (Sorry I don't remember what exactly it's called, someone can correct me :-). It replaces the greenness under towns and cities with much better looking textures, the screenshots a few up of Berlin are using them. Other than that, I don't think I can control what textures get displayed from the default scenery without actually adding textures myself (which i don't have a clue how to do).

I just checked Gmap. Looks good , you can generate the Mesh etc.... I feel if you haven't checked then please do so may turn out helpful.

Yes, I linked to that few posts back and explained why it's bad. It's not too good I'm afraid.

I've had a small break from programming, as it's getting frustrating with some of the massive complicated forests I'm finding in Switzerland, and trying to repair and get them into the simulator is proving a challenge. I've had a go at creating a few more houses,

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 22.04.55.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 22.07.01.png

Pretty basic, but they quite good in Sim, and both took me about an hour to do. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy :)

• Upvote 2

Yes, I linked to that few posts back and explained why it's bad. It's not too good I'm afraid.

I've had a small break from programming, as it's getting frustrating with some of the massive complicated forests I'm finding in Switzerland, and trying to repair and get them into the simulator is proving a challenge. I've had a go at creating a few more houses,

Pretty basic, but they quite good in Sim, and both took me about an hour to do. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy :)

:(  how did you make that house ? 

He is trying to use .dds and objectviewer does not show the textures , but it is still experimental.

how did you make that house ? 

I do it like this:

1. Go to OSM and find a house in a village somewhere, and measure it using JOSM, e.g. 10m by 11m. Alternative, just make up a shape,  but keep the values sensible.
  2. Go into sketchup and add a box at that size 10m by 11m, and drag up to form a cube.
  3. Protrude a roof from the top.
  4. Now the hard bit, find photos of a house (or take them like I did). Take a photo of two sides of the house, front and left. Put both onto a single texture sheet, along with some roof textures, and then texture the building. The first few are frustrating, but it gets easier

Here's another one I just did. I mixed textures from both previous two houses and fiddled with the shape a bit. It seems to have worked, and is appearing in simulator :-) (Which is the idea).

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 23.11.53.png

• Upvote 2