Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Introducing World2XPlane...

This looks absoluteley amazing Tony - really!

WOW!

I just checked out some of the tutorials ... and as for now i again know why i did not became a software engineering guy and why i never really got into 3D modelling on the PC and stuff like that ... even getting used to a comparatively intuitive program like Sketchup makes the small hairs on my neck raise :lol:

But i will continue trying - and a good challange every now and then sure won't matter. ^_^

Sad thing just is - for now at least - that i don't think i'd be of any help at the moment, but i really admire people like You and anyone else who contributes so much to keeping flightsimming a vivid hobby and our interest for it alive - and worth it all!

Really: A big "Thank You" for trying and actually doing so much to enhence the immersion of flightsims such as XPlane here - it's really amazing!

I'll for now certainly remain keeping an eye on Your great work here and sure will look forward to support it all as good as i can!

Amazing work so far Tony!

• Upvote 3

Thank you Christoph, it's very much appreciated. It's comments like these that keep me going when things start getting frustrating :-)

Although I don't have a clue about 3D modelling, Sketchup is quite nice to use, it's just the texturing that's a pain. The models only need to be very simple, mostly square houses with sloped roofs or blocks of apartments. I might actually try and have a go at a few myself, as I have a few pictures of my town hanging round on my laptop

Thank you Christoph, it's very much appreciated. It's comments like these that keep me going when things start getting frustrating :-)

Although I don't have a clue about 3D modelling, Sketchup is quite nice to use, it's just the texturing that's a pain. The models only need to be very simple, mostly square houses with sloped roofs or blocks of apartments. I might actually try and have a go at a few myself, as I have a few pictures of my town hanging round on my laptop

Please keep us updated here Tony about how things work out with Your town!

And i am sure that more people will become involved/get active - including myself - once they see how the necessary steps needed have to be implemented.

And again saying:

Keep up with Your real fantastic work!

Please keep us updated here Tony about how things work out with Your town!

And i am sure that more people will become involved/get active - including myself - once they see how the necessary steps needed have to be implemented.

And again saying:

Keep up with Your real fantastic work!

I have thought about the lack of real 3D buildings and there is a few things I have come up with. Google Warehouse (which seems to be a great source for 3D buildings) was mentionend in the other thread in Scenery Design and it looks like their license actually allows this kind of use. The bigger question is, how to convert these files to the X-Plane *.obj file type.

Google Warehouse allows to download a file in the collada file type which can be imported without any bigger hassels into blender. It imports both, geometry and textures, but the later ones aren't mapped to the geometry (maybe it's just a missing material). In theorey using this plugin: https://github.com/der-On/XPlane2Blender one should be able to export these files to xplane.

Unfortunately I have a few exams coming up, so I won't be able to work this (and solve the texture problem) within the next 6 weeks. If somebody wants to give it a try, blender can be found at blender.org, the plugin is linked above and this model (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=855e7070ae291bd5f59311a5bf4c9e27&prevstart=0) can be downloaded... I am not a 100% sure but I feel like, there is a trick to reassigne the textures to the geometry because the opposite would mean the importer is bad, which I can't imagine in the blender community :D.

Edit: I played just a little bit more (stupid exams :D) and found that actually a few textures are assigned. I just added a light source and rendered it and voila a few textures :D. So it must be possible.

I have thought about the lack of real 3D buildings and there is a few things I have come up with. Google Warehouse (which seems to be a great source for 3D buildings) was mentionend in the other thread in Scenery Design and it looks like their license actually allows this kind of use. The bigger question is, how to convert these files to the X-Plane *.obj file type.

I remember this thread quite a while ago and wished that more would have been discovered regarding how to import shapes and textures, with the import of textures being the issue.  If there could be a way to do this, what a difference it would make in creating realism.

Here is the link to that thread in case anyone is curious:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/356184-google-warehouse-buildings-in-xplanescenery-question/

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I suspect it isn't that easy, as many Google Warehouse objects contain multiple texture sheets, and X-Plane objects only support one. This is the biggest hurdle. The objects themselves can be easily created.

If anyone successfully manages to convert a multi-textured file then let me know.

Google warehouse is great, but Tony said that XPX uses only a single texture , so we need a single texture file containing all textures, I did manage to make one City Bank Building New York. It contains one texture file have two images (LOL there were only two images in the Collada file so it was damn easy to make one layer in gimp, heck I am not even a graphics guy it just a trial and error and some info from the net).

@Tony I am trying to make one more which has around 30 textures (Empire State Building).  BTW that object which I sent you should viewable in object viewer (download from XPX site).

BTW these google warehouse stuff is already geo located correct ? so it should show up by default once it's put in the object folder ?

Tony don't forget to put some chics in there  :rolleyes:

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

By the way, this great website shows the OSM improvements in real time: http://osmlab.github.io/show-me-the-way/. These volunteers do a great job and I am amazed by their speed and that they literally cover the entire world.

I noticed though, that their forest selctions are (of course) rather rough ... I wondered if it would be possible to write a script for your tool, which would make the borders a little bit "fuzzy"? So e.g. at the borders of forest selections trees are placed at a lower density and sometimes there is random tree a few meters outside of the actual boarder, just like in reality :). This would get rid of these dense forest which just completly stop at a certain line, which is a bit unrealistic...

Google Warehouse objects contain multiple texture sheets, and X-Plane objects only support one.

I think I might have read some time ago that Sketchup Pro has functionality to convert their files to obj files to contain one texture sheet.  I will try to find out, or if anyone else has knowledge, please provide.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I think I might have read some time ago that Sketchup Pro has functionality to convert their files to obj files to contain one texture sheet.  I will try to find out, or if anyone else has knowledge, please provide.

I doubt that , but I am doing something right now and hope it works.

I doubt that , but I am doing something right now and hope it works.

My memory could be failing me, but if you can come up with a solution, you would be the man.  Let us know of your findings.  

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

My memory could be failing me, but if you can come up with a solution, you would be the man.  Let us know of your findings.  

LOL I am no graphics guy it's just trial and error , I did manage something though but OSM2xp uses it's own textures and so I could not use the google warehouse textures , it showed me the textures created by OSM2xp . As skecthup on export creates two types of texture files day and night but along with that it creates multiple texture files depending on the model and as Tony pointed out that multiple textures files are not usable by XPX. Though I have a building from google warehouse and due to only two textures I was able to combine in to one file in gimp. 

I suspect it isn't that easy, as many Google Warehouse objects contain multiple texture sheets, and X-Plane objects only support one. This is the biggest hurdle. The objects themselves can be easily created.

If anyone successfully manages to convert a multi-textured file then let me know.

Alrighty, I was able to find a link that gives information regarding how to "bake" the multiple texture files into one.  I hope someone who has good knowledge of how to do this can give this a good read.  I wish I knew more about this stuff, but unfortunately I don't.

The link:

http://tom.drastic.net/stuff/sketchup--3ds-max/

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Alrighty, I was able to find a link that gives information regarding how to "bake" the multiple texture files into one.  I hope someone who has good knowledge of how to do this can give this a good read.  I wish I knew more about this stuff, but unfortunately I don't.

The link:

http://tom.drastic.net/stuff/sketchup--3ds-max/

Mike, there is bake in blender but i don't know how to use it. and this is 3ds max and i don't know both haha.