Sign in to follow this  
jtwhite

Any luck with PhotosceneryX

Just a quick ask-around to see if anyone has had any luck using PhotosceneryX?

I have the trial version, but it seems to have some necessary features disabled; however, Id really like to know if it works before plunking down any more cash on a flight sim addon.

I've started to grow kinda fond of Xplane 10, what with the ease of creating scenery objects (in Sketchup) and getting them into Xplane. Although it's pretty easy with P3d, so that's not a slam.

THE thing I do miss is the use of photoreal scenery. So, thought I'd give PHotosceneryX a whirl.

Have downloaded images using Googles image downloader, but keep getting error messages popping up that I think are due to it being the trail version.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

John

Owensboro, KY

John,

You could always just email the creator and ask for some guidance on how to use PSX effectively.    :rolleyes:

Feel free to let me know what questions you have, and I'll be glad to answer.  Lots of people have used PSX to create photorealistic sceneries in X-Plane.

The advantage PSX has over, say, the tutorials you find on x-plane.org, is that PSX creates a base mesh (using Method 1) where the images are "baked" onto the mesh.  The tutorials that I've seen use draped polygons to overlay images on top of the base mesh, and that comes with certain performance hits (since you're drawing triangles twice where the images are located).  Very large photorealistic sceneries will likely see a very significant frame rate drop when using the methods employed in these tutorials.  Of course, it is possible that you have enough computing power these days to mostly overcome this degradation in performance.  Honestly, I've never measured it; I simply use the method I know to be superior - baking the imagery into the mesh as opposed to the "double drawing" created when using overlays.

I'm sorry your experience with the PSX demo has been more limited than you desire.  Perhaps I should relax the limitations a bit.

Anyway, please contact me at info@photosceneryx.com or post a reply here, and I'll try to help any way I can.

Thanks!

Justin

(born2beflyin)

Developer, PhotoSceneryX and ImageToolX

Hello, Justin... sorry I took so long to reply.

I suppose with all the money I've dribbled away for flightsim stuff over the years, I shouldn't be so reluctant to spend just one more time, particularly after your kind reply.

I'll take another look at it.

John

John,

Please don't feel like I was pressuring you to reconsider.  I didn't intend for that to be the case.  If PSX suits your needs, great!  If not, no harm done.  I was simply trying to explain a little more about it since you seemed a little displeased with the demo:

I have the trial version, but it seems to have some necessary features disabled; however, Id really like to know if it works before plunking down any more cash on a flight sim addon.

If you want some advice on how best to get up and running, just let me know.  Also, I welcome any specific feedback you have about the "necessary features disabled" in the demo.  Of course some of that is by design to entice an interested user to purchase the full product.  However, if certain limitations detract from the usefulness of the program by causing undue frustration, then I'd like to know.

Thanks,

Justin

Oh, no no no.I didnt feel any pressure at all. It's just that I wasnt able to generate any scenery with the demo, perhaps I was doing something wrong.

I really kinda like Xplane X, but I miss the photoreal scenery that I have with P3D. It's one thing for it to be "real" as to how the plane flies, but I like it to look "real" out the window too, to fly over terrain that looks as it does out a real window. I just came across PSX on my search and wanted to give it a try, seeing as it seemed to have the most promise.

But, believe me, I felt no pressure to reconsider or to purchase it. Im always impressed at the effort people put in in furtherance of this great hobby.

John