Sign in to follow this  
richbonneau

Flysimware Cessna 402 C for FSX/P3D

Hey all; I know I'm dredging up an old thread here, but I'm now looking at this aircraft for my own FSX hanger.

I have the FSD Navajo, but as somebody mentioned, it's a FS9 airplane at heart, and it works "ok" in FSX. The load manager doesn't really work at all with FSX, and FSD as told me point blank that they will *not* ever update this aircraft.  Which is too bad, because I'd sure pay for an upgrade. I really want a Navajo as I fly into / out of Farmington NM a lot for air charter flights, and it's pretty cool to fly a Navajo into the Navajo Nation!  (I've seen the carenado Navajo, and I don't like it enough to drop thrity-five bucks for it.

So, that's led me to the 402C. I can nab it for twelve bucks for the next 16 hours at simmarket, so I'm interested. 

After reading through this entire thread, then going to flysimware's website and seeing that they've kept doing updates to it (as recently as 2 weeks ago), I have a couple questions:

Is this a persistant model? Meaning, does the HOBS meter run, do you have to do regular maintenance, etc? Like the FSD is supposed to, and like the A2A planes do?

For those of you who have kept it up to date, does the current FDE work well? How about the current sounds...they ok now?

For twelve bucks I suppose I really can't go wrong, just wanted to chime in here. And also to thank everybody in this thread for their observations...seems like you're all practicing adults around here, and I like that! :-)

Bill

<><

Hi Bill,

I'm a Cape Air die-hard so the 402 was a must buy for me when it first came out.  I worked with Mark on the 402 KAP repaint.

The sounds are weak, but for $12 i picked up the Skysong Soundworks C421 sound set which is a nice upgrade.

The model is not persistent, no maintenance, etc., however the flight model is good and the Flight1 GTN GPS is nicely integrated into the panels.

For $12 it's a no-brainer, IMHO.

Rich

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

I have the FSD Navajo/Panther and I agree, it was great in FS9, not so great in FSX, at least not since SP2.  I wish FSD would make a real FSX PA-31, especially the Panther conversion, but I have also heard that they are not interested.

I also have the Carenado Navajo.  It looks great and its FDE seems ok, but a bit squirrely on the takeoff run.  The included weather radar is a nice feature.  Overall, it's not bad, but the fuel system modeling does not seem correct with the auxiliary tanks draining first, regardless of where the selectors are set, and the fuel gauges show total fuel per side, not per tank selected.  I wish they would fix the problems and maybe offer a Chieftain as the PA31-350 is more popular for charter service than the PA31-310.

I bought the Flysimware C402 after version 1.3 came out.  Version 1.8 is the new version and it is the best so far.  Graphics are well below the Carenado standard, but all the switches work, even though climate control is not really possible, the climate control switches are clickable, and the flight model seems right.  The 402C also includes two aircraft models, one with passenger seats (commuter style) and the other is a cargo aircraft, complete with boxes in the cabin.  Version 1.8 also brings the ability to install a weather radar in the virtual cockpit of the GNS-530 version and there are also models that allow the installation of the Flight 1 GTN 750. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks guys, that helps a lot!

Stans, between the FSD Panther and the latest ver of the Flysimware 402C, which has the better graphics? I notice the current 402C is boasting HD graphics. Also, which one has the most realistic startup and "fly by the numbers" model? 

Thanks guys, that helps a lot!

Stans, between the FSD Panther and the latest ver of the Flysimware 402C, which has the better graphics? I notice the current 402C is boasting HD graphics. Also, which one has the most realistic startup and "fly by the numbers" model? 

Tough call.  Graphics... the FSD Navajo/Panther was ahead of its time and still looks good, but has the prop disc transparency issue in FSX, no issues with the 402C.  The FSD model has some VC texture issues in FSX and the fuel selectors have never worked quite right with the VC selectors and 2D panel selectors not properly synched.  In FSX you have to use the FSD 2D panel to perform a mag check.  All of these things work correctly in the 402C VD.  When it comes to systems modeling, the 402C has the edge.  Overall, I have to say the 402C is the better aircraft, but the old FSD model is a bit easier on my frame rates, but my computer is quite old.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks! That's good to know.

Turns out my furnace went on the fritz yesterday and I had to spend lots of money to fix it (figures; first snow of the year and the furnace dies!) so I ended up not buying the 402C. *sigh* Life happens!

I'll have to live with the FSD Navajo/Panter. It's not terrible (all the things you noted are the same for me of course), and it's already paid for, and I've finally learned to set the altitude and *then* change the V/S manually, so I'll keep flying it. Heck, I may even try my hand at the paint kit.

So thanks for all the help! Maybe next time it goes on sale I'll grab it...or maybe A2A will build a Navajo. :-)

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:57 AM, richbonneau said:

Hi Bill,

I'm a Cape Air die-hard so the 402 was a must buy for me when it first came out.  I worked with Mark on the 402 KAP repaint.

The sounds are weak, but for $12 i picked up the Skysong Soundworks C421 sound set which is a nice upgrade.

The model is not persistent, no maintenance, etc., however the flight model is good and the Flight1 GTN GPS is nicely integrated into the panels.

For $12 it's a no-brainer, IMHO.

Rich

Almost two years later, I'd like to ask if the Skysong C421 sound set will play nice with P3Dv4 and the most recent 402C, does anyone know?

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"